1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

So I fired up L6 Monkey...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jlynnb1, May 22, 2011.

1. jlynnb1

jlynnb1 Member

an updated my HD500 to 1.31. I figured I should at least give it a chance with all the improvements they've made. I will say this...it DID improve the HD quite a bit, but after A/B'ing it with the 11 for a few hours, there's just no comparison FOR ME. Not only in tone, but in feel and dynamics.

I will say that the update and new controls made the gainier amps much more usable to my ears, and I thought they had a big yet subtle impact on the overall tone/feel of every amp, I just think the 11 is more alive, more nuanced...more inspiring to play.

I was really hoping it would blow me away...I do miss the all in one form factor, but this orange beast looks like it's here to stay...

2. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

Go to the DrZ amp sim in your HD, crank the drive, bass 27%, mids 56%, treble 39%, presence 30%.
    Now go to the Bias adjustment knob and turn it to 100%...mess around with the bias, go from 30% to 100%.
    Use a Strat, I'm not sure how feel and dynamics can be better than this.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  3. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

My feelings exactly. I can't compare it to the almighty AxeFX (I tried to buy one but Fractal never replied to my emails so screw them), but every time I fire up my 11R it never fails to bring a stupid grin to my face so it's all good :)

4. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

Seconds out, round No 140...as if 12 rounds isn't enough. :)

Seriously, you guys should sell your HD500s if your 11R sounds so much better.

5. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

6. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

man, i just did a gig at a LARGE ampitheatre down here in south florida today, and got nothing but POSITIVE feedbck from the sound crew AND the band......:banana

HD500 4 LYFE!

7. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

:D...till the HD2000 comes out! GAS will never end! At least not till the manufacturer have a marketing dept....:crazyguy

8. PinkPanther

PinkPanther Senior Member

Here are few very interesting observations about the POD HD:
    1-POD X3 users who are very happy with their metal sounds and don't hear the advantages of the HD; so, as expected, they don't buy the HD and if they ever do they return it right away within the return policy.

2-Eleven Rack owners who bought the HD, but never returned them, are constantly coming out to confirm that their Eleven is just simply better, and because they seem to have money to burn they seem to think that the HD at $500 can be kept as a controller or back up. (We all know that the controller aspect of the HD500 is not worth more than $200)

3-AXE FX users who bought and kept the HD 500 who will come out every once in a while and tell you why they keep the HD. It's, according to these AXE owners, because they prefer some of the models in the HD better than those in the AXE FX (such as the JTM45 and LUX)

Conclusion: Amp modeling in the HD is right up there with the Eleven Rack AXE FX, and to some who own both can be better for certain models. I can see how some might be a little unhappy that an HD300, for a fraction of the Price of an Eleven or AXE, is providing equivalent amp models. After all and in general, most purchasing is done at the emotional level. After the purchase buyers start justifying their purchase! So it only makes sense that some who spent double the price to get the Eleven feel the need to tell everyone that Eleven is better (yet they keep both even thought the other unit is better at nothing regarding sound!).

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  9. jlynnb1

jlynnb1 Member

i can say without a doubt, that in my case at least, your assumptions aren't even close to correct.

the best nibble i've gotten on CL for my like new HD500 is 300 dollars, I'm not selling it for that, especially when it actually works great as a controller for the 11 and does provide a backup should something ever go wrong.

when you consider that a Ground Control Pro costs almost 400 new, with no expression pedals, it's a no brainer really.

believe me, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the HD was better, I'd prefer it due to form factor and being able to sell the 11 get more gear....but it's just not.

this wasn't mean to start a war, but to provide the experience of someone who has both.

10. i8guitar

i8guitar yelling at clouds from outer space Silver Supporting Member

Great settings - works well with my p90 equipped Hamer. I set the bias excursion to 30% and am happy with it there.

FWIW, after owning and gigging the Vox Tonelab SE, Boss GT-8 and GT-10, Line 6 XT Live and X3 Live, the HD500 is the first modeling floorboard to make me just dial up amps and not feel like I need to add FX.

11. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

HD1000 dual processor rack unit with touch screen 4 LYFE!!!!

12. PinkPanther

Did I start a war:huh. I hope not because I don't intend to. All I'm saying is that I like my HD but I still have some old modeler that I didn't get rid of because they still have certain sounds that can't be done by the HD. EXample I still have the J-station as the Johnson Crunch is still an outsanding model . Also I have POD FARM and the Mesa Mark II still sounds great! Even though the dynamic response is not as good as the HD but the sounds are still great! I just think if you spend some time with the HD, you might find more than a few amps that sound great and can't be done with the eleven just like some AXE owners also found great amps in the HD.

13. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i mentioned at a Line 6 employee dinner at NAMM that i still owned and loved the Johnson J-Station, and it was like i had FARTED at the table, the looks i got :eeks:eeks:eeks

14. PinkPanther

The wierd thing with modelers is that many players seem to think that one modeler has to do everything but when it comes to amps nobody has an issue keeping several amps. When you dig deep into modelers and as much variety they offer, each still has a distinct sound, for whatever reasons, hardware, software, etc... On one modeler different combination will yield almost identical sounds sometimes. When that happens it just makes me wonder if there are some certain algorithms that are constant in every amp or drive being modeled!

15. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

That's like mentioning Tokai at the Gibson Christmas Party.
    :argue

:mob

:brick

[​IMG]

16. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

You know if you have an M-13 you can use it to change channels on the 11R. It works just fine. I run the midi out on the M-13 to the in on the 11R. I don't even run a guitar signal thru the M-13.

17. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

First of all, I think the Line 6 POD HD Series are the BEST all-in-one modelers on the market. Great tones and incredible value.

I own both an HD500 and an 11R. I agree with your sentiments. The 11R simply works better FOR ME. My HD just sits there unused, so I plan to sell mine.

18. HHB

HHB Member

I just updated my hd 400. Love what I m hearing

19. jvstrat

jvstrat Member

I agree the 11 rack is no doubt better. I bought my hd when it came out and really enjoyed it, but got really interested in the 11 when the expansion was announced. Now my hd is a back up/foot controller. I do think the hd is a great all in one for the price, but people act as if the 11 is so much more expensive. I got Sam ash to price match 700.00 out the door. I am sure the axe fx is better, but that is more coin than I am willing to part with.

20. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Love this with my new Kurt Wilson P90 Junior!...thanks! :)