So i got this Mexican Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by oldmanrockin, Dec 19, 2018.

1. oldmanrockin

oldmanrockin Member

It is better than the Japanese strat, or as good as the Indonesian strat, or worse than the American strat or....... What is the perceived pecking order for quality from different countries?
    1. American
    2. Japanese
    3?
    4?
    5?
    Cost wise doesn't always but usually, indicates quality.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I'm not buying it.

3. standard24

standard24 Member

#1 USA Strat
    #2 Japanese
    #3 Mexican
    #4 Chinese (Fender Players series)
    #5 Indonesia

These are just my opinions. (I prefer Japanese necks.)

Nickstrtcstr likes this.
  4. standard24

standard24 Member

I believe he inverted his words. Supposed to read "Is it?"

5. WoodenDuckMaker

WoodenDuckMaker Member

Problem with American strats is you gotta pay more to get the vintage spec/style models, and those are the models everyone wants and plays. Standard models are passe. Almost no iconic strat players play modern strats.

So i’ve always gone for MIM classic player/series, or Squier Classic Vibe.

6. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

In terms of hardware and electronics the USA and Japanese models are great with Mexico a close third, the Chinese electronics leave a little to be desired, but it is darn close enough for most people. I haven’t touched a Fender from Indonesia.

In terms of feel and appealing tones, it’s a crap shoot. I have played USA teles that were real dogs, no sustain and thin tone. I have played Chinese strats that are fun to play and sound great. I really dig a Mexican Classic Players Strat, once I wired a tone for the bridge, it’s a lotta fun and plays like a old USA model.

fretless likes this.
  7. lespauled

lespauled Member

Exactly. Japanese strats rival the American strats. Mexican strats are a very distant 3rd...or 4th....or....

johnkoz likes this.
  8. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

I always loved the made in India models!....................................

9. don550

don550 Supporting Member

If it plays well and sounds great what diff does it make where it's made unless you're looking at long term resale value.. I have had a lot of strats American or MIM or Japanese since I was a kid and back in 93 a friend gave me a 93 MIM strat in Daphne Blue..He didn't llke the color.. I had it setup and swapped the pickups for some Bill Lawrence (from Bill and Becky not that other guy) Damn that guitar plays and sounds better then any other strat I've owned I own 2 Strats now 1 American, 1 MIM . So basically it's a crap shoot .. You find one you like and you keep it and dial it in and play it like you just won the lottery!

timallums and Anacharsis like this.
  10. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

There are also Korean made strats.
    I don’t recall the models but most had Birdseye necks and two point trems.

The only problem with going down the pecking order to save money is you had better be content with the guitar as it is.
    As soon as you start upgrading,
    You would have been better off buying the more expensive American.
    All are good values though.

11. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Silver Supporting Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    To broad of a stroke with the paint brush.
    But generally this:
    I have an 80s MIJ Strat that is everything that I want in a Strat! I will say that during my time at a music store, it wasn’t that hard to run the racks for a MIM that rivals a US model. Back then, MIM were around $300......
    Edit: I did put my hand on a new player Strat and Tele today and they seemed ok unplugged. But they felt new, I know that probably doesn’t make sense? Hard to explain but being a lefty and mostly going to GC the past few years, picking up the only lefties in their stores is the equivalent to trying on work boots at a shoe store for me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    timallums likes this.
  12. oldmanrockin

oldmanrockin Member

Back when i started playing, mid 70's, I only remember USA and Japan guitars. Maybe there were others but the Japanese guitars weren't as good back then. Now there are so many countries producing "name brand" guitars, its hard to keep up. I agree, you can have guitar from Crapsville, and if it plays well its good. But I agree with standard24 my experience with modern guitar quality and playabilty seem to be in that order.

13. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

The blanket statements about MIJ guitars is misleading. There were plenty of MIJ models with basswood bodies, cheap electronics and trap tuners. Every MIJ/CIJ Fender is not a gem.

zHollywood, stahlhart, Jven and 3 others like this.
  14. VooDooClown

VooDooClown Silver Supporting Member

You're right on point! I own a 1980 MiJ Tele I bought new, and it's a fine guitar. I also bought a MiJ Strat back in the 80's that had to be one of the worst guitars I've ever owned. It possessed the worst pickups and electronics ever.

fretless likes this.
  15. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

You can't make broad generalizations about country of origin, imho. Some of my favorite Fenders are the MIM Classic Player series and American Professionals. But at the same time, there are Squiers I'd rather have than something like an American Elite or MIM Classic Series.

16. LTigh

LTigh Member

Broad strokes, but depending on specs and personal preferences, I would say MURIKA and GLORIOUS NIPPON Fenders are pretty much tops (I LUUURVES me the Japanese Fender necks, but some people can't abide basswood bodies on teh Strats what are spec'd out that way, but at the same time I prefer 22 over 21 frets, so USA gets some points there). If anything, for me, the US Strats have more "meat" to them, but the Japanese ones seem "put together" better, and I'm just basing this off of my MURIKA Strat (NGD thread with blurry phone pics incoming) and JAPAN Strats (okay, full disclosure, one of the "Strats" is a Pawnshop '72, but still) what I'm currently A/B-ing. Not quite fair, since MURIKA strat got shipped with strings deader than fried chicken, will have to re-string in a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, Mexico, followed by Indonesia/China.

All are pretty solid, the Indo/Chinese ones have more QC issues (as to be expected when you're pumping out at that amount of volume) and I'd be pretty miffed if I were to have paid street prices for them (acquired them heavily discounted).

Anyhoo, that's my experience with Fenders, I've got one or more from all five places in the current roster (though, most of them are teles, save the strats pictured and another incoming Japanese strat).

17. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Frankly I love my Squier Strat I bought in 1999 better than any I have owned since (of all makes). I still have it and all the US, Japanese, Mexican are all gone.

18. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

jbcohen92, Arcadia and bearbike137 like this.
  19. ffoont

ffoont Member

Don't forget the Korean Pro-Tones. Even though they are Squiers they are very good Strats.

Nebakanezer likes this.
  20. Antmax

Antmax Member

The American and Japanese ones have the advantage of better quality hardware made of better materials and more expensive pickups. Otherwise it's a crapshoot and depends what you want like in a guitar. I have a Squire Vintage Modified Strat with basswood body and a pretty nice neck. After some cheap upgrades It reverberates more than any other Strat I have played and is really loud acoustically which is kind of fun.

The Duncan Designed pickups are shielded with copper around the sides which seems to cut off 5-7% of the high frequencies but are better than a lot of the cheaper model Mexican strat pickups. There's good and bad guitars from everywhere, sometimes one gets put on line that is made when a bunch of stars were aligned and somehow that combination of neck and body etc gives it some real mojo.

Typically your going to have more chance of a good one if you buy an American one, they also have more time put into them so they edges of necks are often rolled for comfort and worn in feel, more time of making the neck and frets comfy help with playability quite a lot. You can get there on your own with basic DIY skills but it's a lot of work and your guitar will still be a cheap guitar you will most likely lose money on.

I think an American one is a good way to go since you won't blow $200 making it into the guitar you want, money that won't really add anything if you want to sell it later. A used MIA Fender won't really lose any value so long as you look after it and the frets stay in good shape. So in many ways it's a better investment. New, not so much.