So, I guess Cakewalk Sonar isn't going to be a thing any more...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by NeiloMac, Nov 21, 2017.

1. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

Found a good article about exporting SONAR files to OMF format.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Kn...ts-as-OMF-Files-for-Use-in-Other-Applications

Exporting SONAR Projects as OMF Files for Use in Other Applications

Last updated on 3/28/2016

Return to Part 1- Importing OMF files

An Ounce of Preparation...

If you plan to export a SONAR project to another program that can read OMF files, it pays to consider three things before you start your SONAR project:

· Sample rate and audio bit depth of the target system

· Number of tracks the target system can handle

· SONAR and most other audio programs do not include Video in OMF file

While sample rates and bit depths can be converted after you export a project, it saves a lot of time to avoid conversions, if at all possible.

To Prepare a SONAR Project to Export as an OMF File

1. Make a copy of the project you want to export, and then only work on the copy to prepare for export.
    2. If you have any MIDI tracks you want to export in the project, either record them as audio tracks, or put them into a Standard MIDI File that the other program can read.
    3. Delete any tracks you don't want to export.
    4. If you want to export volume or pan automation that is represented in SONAR as volume and pan envelopes, you will need to Edit-Bounce to Tracks or Edit-Bounce to Clips to mix the envelopes into new audio tracks or clips.
    5. If you want to export the sound of any plug-in effects that you have patched, select the tracks that have the effects patched, and then use the Process-Apply Audio Effects command.
    6. Create a text file to send along with the OMF file, detailing the tempo and any other important information about the project.

Exporting SONAR Projects as OMF Files

After you prepare a copy of your project to export, exporting is straightforward. Check with the engineer at the target studio to see if there are any special instructions for exporting, such as whether they want the file in Windows (RIFF Wave) or Mac (AIFC) format, which you can choose in SONAR's Export OMF dialog. If you've booked time at the studio, arrange to have your project played and inspected at the studio the day before your session, to be sure your project is as expected.

To Export a SONAR Project as an OMF File

1. Use the File | Export | OMF command.
    2. The Export OMF dialog appears.
    3. Enter a File Name (maximum 64 characters-SONAR limits name length for ISO CDR compatibility), and in the Save As Type field, choose OMF Version 1 or 2. Most applications expect Version 2, but check with your engineer.
    4. Audio Packaging: usually you should choose Embed Audio Within OMF, which includes the audio data in the OMF file. But you should check with your engineer.
    5. Split Stereo Tracks Into Dual Mono: see what your engineer wants. If exporting a 24-bit project to a Pro Tools system, enable "Split Stereo Tracks Into Dual Mono," as some Pro Tools systems do not support 24-bit interleaved stereo files.
    6. Include Archived Tracks: you can choose to include archived tracks in your exported file.
    7. Mix Each Groove Clip As A Separate Clip: if you have several Groove Clips in a track SONAR exports them as one clip unless you check this option. If you check this option, SONAR has to do a separate export operation for each Groove Clip in the track, which is very time-consuming. If you only have one Groove Clip in a track, and you have rolled out numerous repetitions of the clip, SONAR exports a single clip that is the length of the original clip and all the repetitions, which is not a time-consuming operation.
    8. Audio Format: ask your engineer what format the studio uses, Windows (RIFF Wave) or Mac (AIFC).
    9. Click the Save button.
    10. SONAR exports the project as an OMF file.

You can also open OMF files to SONAR from Pro Tools and other programs that can export OMF (File-Open command). Read the tip on importing OMF files into SONAR.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    GearGeek likes this.
  2. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

Mackie has had some solid sales of their own Digital mixers but nowhere near the Behringer stuff. I own a DL32 Rack. It's a nice piece of gear. But that mixer surface that is supposed to go with it makes me think of the Line 6 stagecsape mixer thing. Crown is doing ok. Not killer but ok. They have that name. like Shure and JBL, Just like being able to use the Midas name made Behringer finally good enough. People still buy audio with their eyes and not their ears. The dogs at Harman are AKG, DBX, AMX, SVSI, and Martin lighting and Soundcraft.

3. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Gibson has already done this with Opcode Systems (Studio Vision). It's been nearly 20 years so it's easy to overlook, but Studio Vision was one of the bigger sequencers with audio recording and editing at the time (eg not far behind Cubase and Logic in pro studios). They also made MIDI editor/librarians and hardware, such as MIDI interfaces. A lot of studio cats were pissed about this.

Opcode died under Gibson very quickly and the engineers moved on. Opcode's not coming back.

I'd love to see somebody who cared about Cakewalk buy it from Gibson. They were local to me and I'd been by their shop a few times. They were a good team. Cakewalk was one of the original sequencers from the 80s. It's really sad/upsetting to see the software die like this. I don't know… maybe Gibson will consider selling to an audio interface manufacturer or something. It would be better for everyone.

4. Mario C.

Mario C. Member

I never got the chance to try Sonar but it looked like a really cool program, I'm not happy to see it go, shame on you Gibson.

eigentone likes this.
  5. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

i think one of the reasons folks here at gearpage didn't hear much about sonar,
    is because most sonar users, once they get everything dialed in the way they want,
    they typically just do their work. they don't have any issues. there's nothing to talk about.

the daw works so solidly, and before the gibson failure,
    there's not a lot of reasons to chase questions anywhere other than the cakewalk forum.

i got caught completely off guard by this, i have an older version of sonar on an old PC,
    and was going to start building my new DAW exactly when this announcement was made.

6. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

Exactly this.

rockabilly69 and bugzapper like this.
  7. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

This is consistent with my experience.

I'm no ultimate DAW power user, but I've generally been able to figure how to make Sonar do what I want. When I've hit a bump, which has not been that often, I've asked at the Sonar forum, which, for a long time, has been populated by knowledgeable and helpful people.

I'm sure there's no one best DAW. Sonar definitely had a place in the ecosystem, and it's demise--especially with the suddenness and vagueness with which it has gone down--is a bummer.

MikeFM likes this.
  8. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Folks, I can grab a copy of teh sonar x3 producer for a good deal from a shop blowing them out.

Will this work for me in home studio for a few years, or should I skip it??????

Thanks

9. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Silver Supporting Member

Ask the folks here (registration required I believe): http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-f70.aspx

I believe it will be fine -- I run SPLAT on a Win7 x64 box myself with zero issues.

10. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

Yep it will work fine on a Windows 7 or 10 computer!

11. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

It says win7/8...........So you think it will do win 10 as well????

12. JMPGuitars

JMPGuitars Guitar Nerd Silver Supporting Member

Personal license of Reaper is $60, and their support is alive. Is it a better deal than that?

MikeMcK likes this.
  13. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

No Sonar x3 is more than twice that, but does Reaper have the same features such as drum program (I believe sonar has SD3)? I am a NOOB at this stuff.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  14. rockabilly69

DigiPOV likes this.
  15. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Great to hear, Good playing/singing in video! Thanks.

16. rockabilly69

You're welcome, good luck with the SONAR X3!

17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

It'll just be faster

Want a killer DAW platform and video workstation?

Add SSD EVo Drives as you main OS and Program installs, and get a smaller SSD assigned to the cache. 128GB is plenty for most work.

As far as Sonar's stability, I still use X1 on an older laptop at gigs that had a basic Pentium Dual Core, 4GB ram and it records everything from the XR18 mixer without a hiccup. All 3 sets. Multitracked.

Where you can run into sluggish behavior with any DAW is when you start running VST's like Drum or KB synths.

X3 with Pro Channel is great because it does not tax the system. W10 has been phenomenal in its use with many DAW products as well as Adobe Suites for professional applications.

Gasp100 and Hefalump like this.
  18. JMPGuitars

You can probably buy a drum program for the price difference. Don't get me wrong, I loved Sonar, but buying into it now is a terrible idea. I wish I could get my money back for the lifetime update license I bought last year.

Gasp100, +NRG and Hefalump like this.
  19. +NRG

+NRG Member

I switched from SONAR to REAPER a couple of years ago. REAPER just fits me better...

I do still own the latest version of SONAR and I’ve been a Cakewalk user since 1999. I get a ton of use out of the inexpensive Cakewalk VSTi instruments!

I don’t understand why Gibson didn’t just sell Cakewalk?

Gasp100 and JMPGuitars like this.
  20. JMPGuitars

Because Gibson is a terrible company that doesn't actually care about what people want if it doesn't immediately make them a profit.

Genghis and +NRG like this.