So, I guess Cakewalk Sonar isn't going to be a thing any more...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by NeiloMac, Nov 21, 2017.

1. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Roland had CW before Gibson. CW was not a strongpoint for Roland even with Roland investing tons in new hardware platforms for Sonar.

Gibson may sell it. but Roland was a buster, Gibson couldn't make it THE DAW to have, so few major players will have any interests. There is still a large amount of Windows Stigma when it comes to DAW and users. Doesn't matter how stable it is, then you have the many Mac users in the audio biz that ignore Sonar.

+NRG likes this.
  2. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

You can get MT Power Drum Kit (donation-ware) and still save big; there's also Melda MDrummer Small (free) which I haven't tried but a lot of people like. If one person's opinion means anything, I switched to Reaper from Sonar about 10 years ago, and even if Reaper cost the same as Sonar, I'd think I'd made the right choice.

Gasp100 likes this.
  3. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

in the 10 years that you were on reaper,
    sonar went 10 years beyond what reaper is now.

what's great, is to have both side by side,
    very enlightening.

DigiPOV and Hefalump like this.
  4. JMPGuitars

JMPGuitars Guitar Nerd Silver Supporting Member

I have both side-by-side. Reaper is faster, Sonar is prettier. That's mostly it, though I haven't done much with midi in Reaper. For midi and staff-view composition, I haven't found anything that compared with Sonar built into a DAW. Again, I haven't tried that at all with Reaper yet.

Sonar also has some locked-to-Sonar plugins that would be nice if they unlocked for use with other DAWs installed on the same system. I think of it as lingering D-baggery.

Gasp100 likes this.
  5. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

yes, the midi in sonar is quite stout, lots of people take full advantage of that.

and yes, the sonar layout and workflow is more elegant than reaper, i agree with that.

the sonar plugins are really nice sounding, and easy to use, the similar reaper plugins to me, were very generic.

i think if you dial the code into a plugin to work with the entire package,
    that's as good as it gets for latency and solid no-crash work.
    sonar had that in spades.

whatever, at this point, i'm moving onto something else anyway.
    but not reaper.

don't get me wrong, i think reaper is an excellent value.

JMPGuitars likes this.
  6. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

One of the long-standing knocks against Reaper was that it was way behind the curve in terms of MIDI. I don't do a ton with MIDI, but from what I've heard, people who do are pretty happy with the last few releases of Reaper. I've also read that it's now got staff-view as well, though I haven't tried it (I'm way too used to MuseScore for notation and pulling in MIDI tracks created from it).

Gasp100 and JMPGuitars like this.
  7. Neenja

Neenja Member

8. Neenja

Neenja Member

I have been lied to many times by Cakewalk before Gibson bought them. If they were making decent software that people would buy, they'd still be around.

9. JMPGuitars

What are you switching to?

10. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

Presonus Studio One, and the Waves Platinum bundle.

11. JMPGuitars

I had PSO, I can't remember why I didn't like it. I should probably take another look at it. I probably brushed it aside since I thought Sonar was reliable.

12. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

I bought Samplitude x3 Pro Suite bundle. It still might be on sale for $149 untill Dec 10.

Apparently amazing price.....it is aimed at Sonar users as a crossgrade discount, BUT, you do not need to be a sonar user to get deal.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  13. JMPGuitars

I'm downloading the demo of PSO. I'll give the new version a fair shot before I switch (or not) to anything more permanently. Presonus does have a crossgrade discount. I don't know how much it is yet though.

14. Neenja

Neenja Member

Sonar was never what Reaper is with audio. MIDI still lags a bit, but it will get better. Sonar won't get better at anything now.

Gasp100 and +NRG like this.
  15. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

I am an X3 pro user and I wish I could get the Platinum updates, but they aren't sold anymore!

I guess I will have to keep using X3!

16. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

I seem to remember that the lower version of PSO doesnt allow use of VSTs. The higher version is quiet expensive, although it is a viable contender, maybe only other daw with melodyne integration.

17. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Reaper is faster? You mean workflow or number of plugins?

18. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Its funny, I switched from Samplitude which was miles beyond other daws in audio editing and features, and didn't feel a loss going to Sonar.

I'm using X3 and it doesn't feel like it needs anything. Its sad that Sonar is RIP, but I wasn't motivated to get the Platinum lifetime because I didn't see any value added.

The problem with the DAW market is that they are all commodities now. They all can do great work, which means prices will keep dropping.

I tried Reaper before I got Sonar x3 and I couldn't get my mind around it, nor was it polished enough to make me want to power through the learning curve.

19. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

yea........ no.

having used both for years, i can say this is incorrect.

but hey, whatever you make music with, works!

it really doesn't matter, the tools,
    what matters is the end result.

20. Genghis

Genghis Supporting Member

I even grabbed that deal myself. I was really more interested in all of the other items that come with it... Sound Forge, etc. I'll give it a run to see how Samplitude works out, but:
    A. I'm pretty set with Studio One, workflow, low-latency with dropout protection... etc.
    B. First glance of Samplitude after installing and it really does not seem like any other DAW, so I think I'd have to learn a totally new way of thinking about this stuff. I'll play around with it a little and probably figure out a few of the terms used and the basic workflow before a final judgement though.

JMPGuitars likes this.