So, I guess Cakewalk Sonar isn't going to be a thing any more...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by NeiloMac, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

I am new to DAW, so for me, I have to learn it anyway. According to many....it was a total no-brainer at that price, so I grabbed it. I have presonus studio one artist and garage band as well.......just haven't used it too much yet.

Genghis likes this.
  2. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

I saw this and I may get this as an option. I have an extra laptop I can run it on to see how I like it!

Hefalump likes this.
  3. JMPGuitars

JMPGuitars Guitar Nerd Silver Supporting Member

I just bought the Samplitude X3 Pro Suite Bundle Special, AND I bought the Presonus Studio One Pro Crossgrade special.

I tried Presonus for a few minutes, doing only audio production stuff and I really liked the workflow and stability. I'll check out the midi and other features eventually when the need arises.

I couldn't pass up the deal on Samplitude; it was simply too good. I have an older version of Sound Forge, and the upgrade for that by itself would have been $200! $150 for the full production studio, plus all that other stuff was a no-brainer.

Now I have fully licensed Sonar Producer, Samplitude X3 Pro, Presonus S1P, and Reaper all installed. I'm curious to see what I wind up with replacing Sonar in the long run.

+NRG likes this.
  4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Still a huge fan of Screensets. Makes things much easier. Always loved the workflow of Sonar so I'll keep plugging away with it until it is no longer viable. That could be quite a while as I know users on Sonar X1 series still going strong.

5. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Let us know what you end up running.

6. JMPGuitars

Will do. I'll obviously leave them all installed either way for the extras and plugins they come with.

7. JMPGuitars

Studio One Pro is by far the winner as far as the graphics & visual interface (GUI) goes. It's the most modern, easiest to read, and least annoying.

Samplitude's GUI isn't too bad either, but it looks a little dated, and everything is a little smaller/harder to read by comparison.

I loaded up demo songs in both, and the graphics on S1 really stood out, as did the visual choices like labeling regions/marker type stuff. Color-coded sections, with large, easy to ready labels. It's pretty nice.

It's maybe superficial, but everything was stable in both so far using effects, instruments, etc...

I have no love for Reaper's GUI at all. It's functional, that's all.

I think I rate the GUIs like this:
    1. Studio One
    2. Sonar
    3. Samplitude
    40. Reaper

8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Two routes -

Go to Samplitude or ProTools.

Got to Mac and Logic.

Then work your butt off getting comfortable again.

9. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

I'd have to agree with this for the most part, especially on the plugins. However, the ability to grab and try any one of hundreds of themes does go a long way. A lot of them are more than icing... some are tailored to specific workflows. And while I definitely think it's cool to use a reverb plugin that looks like a 480L or a PEQ that looks like a Pulteq, at the end of the day you can't hear what the plugin looks like. In the interest of getting things done I usually revert to the flat, uglier panel of sliding faders. That said, a cool-looking 3D image can help yo figure out how to use a plugin, but if you already know what the controls do, why waste CPU cycles on the visual aspects of a plugin?

Gasp100, +NRG and JMPGuitars like this.
  10. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

I really just want something that works. Not caring much about how pretty it is.

+NRG likes this.
  11. JMPGuitars

Themes you say? I'll have to take a look into that. But the visual design of S1 is mostly "flat" - modern design is flatter, which in the end uses less resources than the rounded or bevel edge designs that the dated styles I was referring to uses. I will definitely look into the themes though; maybe I can make my own (I like that kind of thing).

EDIT: I just realized you're talking about Reaper. I still might check out the themes, but Reaper didn't perform as stable for me as Studio One or Samplitude in testing.

GUI affects workflow, it isn't about pretty. If I can't read what I'm working on without breaking my neck, it's an issue. Workflow is everything, and GUI has a huge effect on that. Maybe I'll post some comparison screenshots if I'm not too lazy at some point. I have two 24" monitors side-by-side, and whatever DAW I work with needs to be able to utilize that space intelligently.

MikeMcK likes this.
  12. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

I know that you get a platnium version of Birdline skins with the Samplitude......I was going to delete it, but perhaps this is useful??????

13. Neenja

Neenja Member

1. Limited (Did they ever make it where you could group events?)
    2. Limited (bad bussing) and dead(not that actually fixing things was ever part of the agenda).
    3. Not sure but when I have to tell software how long a track is before I start...
    40. Damn near unlimited if you are willing to learn how to do it.

Gasp100 and +NRG like this.
  14. JMPGuitars

I think it will be. Birdline has a skin editor that I plan to try out if the registration thing ever works for me. I set Samplitude to the least annoying skin (IMO) and I'll try tweaking it eventually. It seems like a powerful program, but the workflow will definitely take a lot more getting used to than Studio One. Studio One was so simple to get going, I was sequencing drum loops using the built in browser, and then recording tracks within minutes of installation. Both are very stable, S1 wins the fun factor so far.

1. I dunno. Sounds like you're using features I don't take advantage of. I group tracks in folders often, but I haven't played much with event stuff.
    2. Frustrating anyway. I ran their stupid update software today which already is having issues even though they claim the servers are still running.
    3. That is weird, but not hard to change anyway.
    40. I take back the 40. I updated Reaper today before doing some screenshots, and it looks better than I remembered. The workflow is still frustrating, and not as stable (for me) as Samp or S1. Equally stable as Sonar was for me (which is why I was disappointed with it TBH). Still a solid program, and maybe run better for other people. I will give it another shot during this process, but I've used it plenty and had stability and dropout issues in the past.

Anyway, for anybody that cares, here's some screenshots on a dual-monitor setup. Taking these shots, and running the demo songs, I actually felt some relief that I'm moving away from Sonar. Sonar crashed 3 times trying to open the demos, finally one of them worked. Note: Reaper didn't have a demo song so it looks overly simple by comparison with a project I was working on briefly in it a while ago.

Studio One Pro 3:

Samplitude X3:

Reaper 5.6:

Sonar Producer Edition Lifetime (DEAD):

15. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Still like the Sonar interface better.

16. JMPGuitars

I like it because I got used to it for 20 years. I don't like the bugginess, instability, or the fact that it's a dead product that won't receive new updates... If somebody picks it back up, cool. Maybe the can fix the issues with it.

I'm frustrated with Samplitude. They have a 100 different websites for registering everything, so until you figure out you need to make a new account for each one for registering (even though you already have accounts on their sites), it doesn't register. The stupid skin site isn't working with the serial number they gave me either. They seem to have some issues.

Studio One, still working fine, still fun.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Genghis likes this.
  17. +NRG

+NRG Member

REAPER has worked flawlessly for me with new Pre-releases every few days... Constant development and new features / fixes.

You can make it look how you want (if you’re patient...) and put the elements where you want them or even get rid of elements you don’t use. There are a lot of themes available and currently in development. The V5 theme has instructions built-in so I learned to do it myself... I have a laptop in the living room and would mess with theming while watching TV...

The REAPER Forum is very useful and full of information and helpful folks...

18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Reaper

+NRG likes this.
  19. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I could not agree more, IMHO once I was pointed in the direction of Reaper I never looked back. The guy is basically blowing the DAW industry out of the water... incredible!
    Before people jump to Pro Tools (REALLY??? PT???) owe it to yourself to give Reaper a fair spin.
    EDIT: Should add Reaper's video has gotten much better as well. I'm not video expert but I was very easily able to mix / master and video edit my bands recent demo vid.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    sizzlemeister, JMPGuitars and +NRG like this.
  20. ronzie

ronzie Supporting Member

Yeah. Really.