1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

So I have a list...BUT...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markschick, May 22, 2011.

1. markschick

markschick Supporting Member

Ok, so I have been doing a lot of research as to what pedals I am going to be purchasing for my pedalboard. Basically, I want to get really good pedals..and just acquire them a little at a time, rather than just buying a lot of cheap ones. For now the amp is a vox ac15c1, hopefully a morgan ac20 eventually. I am wanting a board mainly for playing alternative style (coldplay, augustana, etc) but not limited to that. Here's what my wishlist looks like:

Paul C. Timmy
    Mad Professor Little Green Wonder
    RC Booster
    Boss RV-5
    Electro-Harmonix Micro POG
    ProCo RAT (with Keeley mod)
    Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr.
    Keeley Compressor
    Cusack Tap-A-Whirl
    Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man (Big Box)

Now, I have about $1000 to spend right now. If you were going to start, what would you start with? Would you change any of these pedals? I am kinda thinking timmy, lgw, rv5, keeley compressor, and the pog. I've already got a timefactor and a polytune.

2. lando014

lando014 Member

Don't get the RV-5...Spend the same amount on the TCE Hall of Fame reverb

3. lando014

lando014 Member

And don't get a RAT if you're playing Augustana/Coldplay tunes...If you want an OD that's a little more aggressive than the Timmy, go for a Rockbox Boiling Point or a JHS Charlie Brown.

4. aawshred

aawshred Member

ya, i support the hall of fame instead of the rv5

5. lando014

lando014 Member

Definitely start with your dirt/OD pedals, then delay...Compressor/POG/reverb are not nearly as important. The Tap-a-Whirl and POG should probably be the last ones you really need

6. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

And find a mid 80's BlackFace Rat or a WhiteFace Rat reissue. The WF is more exy, so might blow your budget. You can find BF's on Craigslist/Ebay for cheaper. IMO the Keeley mod isn't a huge improvement for tone if you want a classic Rat sound.

7. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Member

I don't see a point having both RC Booster and Timmy, but that's just me.

8. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

^ this

And forget the Keeley Comp and go Diamond

9. Fenderkid67

Fenderkid67 Member

get a fulltone OCD, johny buckland has like 2 on his board.

10. tbhuey

tbhuey Member

What guitar(s) are you playing and how loud are you able to run your amp?

11. betteriz1day

betteriz1day Supporting Member

And forget the Keeley Comp and go Diamond[/QUOTE]

I've been down this road - got rid of the Keeley 4-knob and got the Diamond. Why? The Keeley had a really nice tone but did not like the LGW at all, before or after. And the LGW wasn't the only one, I just haven't tried any of the others you have listed with it.I also couldn't dial out the squash enough for my taste. The Diamond likes every pedal on my board and has a better than excellent tilt EQ. Also, MUCH quieter than the Keeley. BTW, I love my Keeley Fuzzhead and Phaser, just couldn't get the comp to play nice with certain pedals I had. Just passing on some firsthand experience FWIW.

12. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

all this negativity!

i think your setup looks great. you can get some cheaper 'fill ins' if you wanted it close to completion (like the DE7 for the DMM, or teh dano equivalents for the OCD/TIMMY). and than just sell off those (buy them used) for what you paid for them when the funds come available for the 'real' deal dream board.

13. markschick

So maybe start off with a Timmy, lgw, and hbod maybe? To cover my drives. Knock the rat off completely...?

14. markschick

The idea was for the Timmy to be the light drive, the lgw to be medium/creamy drive, and the rat for when I need a lot of gain for a solo or lead line.

15. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

stacking them might get you around having three.... LGW into the TIMMY is pretty beast

16. Mr Tickle

Mr Tickle Member

i suggest a pearl. :aok

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Will you be trying any of these pedals before buying them?

If not, you will have no idea what may, or may not, work for you. You could wind up selling everything on your pedalboard after buying it.

My strong recommendation would be to, first, try everything you can, or at least buy with a 24 hour approval period; and second, buy one pedal at a time, see if you bond with it, and if you do then buy the next one until your board is done.

What doing it one at a time does for you is that one by one you have your "keepers," and know what they are, and then you can see how the next pedal works in the context of what you already own and like.

18. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

I agree with Dan, don't let people change your mind on the pedals YOU want, after all, they'll be your pedals, not theirs. IMO, Timmy (I have one for sell in the emporium) into LGW into DMM is a good start. you can cover alot of ground there.

19. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Start with Delay and a Distortion.

For the type of music you mentioned I'd start with the Rat.

If you get one of the better Rats (WF reissue or 2nd hand big box) the keeley mods are not essential. infact I think they remove half the point of the Rat.

After that it really all comes down to personal preference (ie which tone you want to add next).

All the pedals you have on your dream list are pretty much a tour of current best in class although there seems to be some debate on the Boss.

Although there is a little snobbery against Boss pedals with people coming up with the same recomendation I'd say check the functionality on each and see which one has the best functions for what you want to do.

If you are trying to save money I will add that I;m a big believer in 2nd hand gear.

Working on the basis that if you dont like it you should be able to sell it for what you bought if for!! and on the stuff you keep you'll save a fortune.

PS if you already have the time factor is the Memory man essential?
    You have alot of memory spaces in the timefactor.

Start with say the Rat and the timmy and possibly a phaser.
    ENJOY

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  20. markschick

instead of...the timmy?

I am basically wanting the timmy, like i said, for a low gain tone. Then another od for a smooth medium gain od. Which it seems like the lgw fits the bill.