So I just got a new Jackson Dkmg.....need help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by GuitarSoul24, May 16, 2006.

1. GuitarSoul24

GuitarSoul24 Member

This is my first "shred guitar" so im a n00b to all the parts and everything, anyway, I could finally tune it but it keeps going out of tune! I've stretched the strings and took off the locking screws at the nut. I've tuned it then locked it at the nut, the weird thing is I could still tune it wether the locking things are there or not plus when I use my whammy bar it goes out of tune. I thought this thing is suppose to stay it tune.

Also what are the sets of turnings knobs near the bridge? I also want to adjust the action of this guitar, I don't like the feel of it.

So yea, any help is greatly appreciated, I love the sound of this guitar but too many technical issues. So any advice or web sites dealing with these problems? Thanks in advance

2. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

The action is adjusted by raising or lowering the two large studs on either side of the tremolo, against which it pivots. Take care to keep the tremolo level (don't raise one post a lot more than the other). I'd also make sure your neck is in the right place--overly high action sometimes means the trussrod needs tightened.

When you mentioned "knobs near the bridge," I assume you don't mean the volume / tone controls. The small wheels at the read of the bridge are fine tuners. Use those to zero in the tuning of each string after the nut is locked.

No clue why your locking nut isn't working, but it's worth noting that you CAN get the strings to slide through it if you try hard enough with the tuners. One possibility is that the strings aren't locked firmly on the bridge end and are sliding there, so make sure they are secure (they are locked by the long bolts coming from the end of the bridge).

3. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

check this site out... www.ibanezrules.com under the tech section, lots of help for Floyd Rose setup. :)

4. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I used a floyd extensively back in the day....

when you initially clamp the thing down sometimes the guitar will go sharp....leave some room in the fine tuners to adjust both ways. Also if you are pulling up on the trem it can go sharp...bring the trem backdown...even if you do it silently before you hit your next chord...this will usually take care of the sharp thing. A Floyd isn't perfect you will have to adjust the fine tuners a little while you play but it can let you go crazy with the trem and keep you close to tune.