So I just got a Robot Guitar, now I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by desceneisvals, Jan 30, 2008.

1. desceneisvals

desceneisvals Supporting Member

So today I acquired a Robot Guitar for about $600-700 less than they are already going on eBay for. I can't really afford it, but at the price I got it for I couldn't afford not to. Apparently the guy who sold it to me is getting ****ed by his insurance company and needs cash bad. It is dead mint, has all the case candy/warranty info and even came in the original box.

So frankly, I think it is ugly and quite ridiculous. However, once you have one in your hands the ability to change tunings like that is ridiculously bad-ass. So here is where the conundrum comes in.

I will never play this guitar. If I keep it, I'll pack it away in the box very soon, cellophane the box up and take it to my Mom's where I store some of my other gear (I'm in college and don't have too much room/don't want to get robbed and have all my gear taken from me).

But, I have two guitars in the mail that I do want to play (an EJ Strat and a USA Jazzmaster). I only bought this guitar because I knew it was a quick couple hundred bucks and I just wanted to **** with it for like 10 minutes and know that I had owned one. But, the more I think about it, I don't know what to do. I have a couple guitars and have only been playing my LP Pro since I got it so I'm not sure how much I'll play the EJ or JM. Actually, I really bought the EJ as a nice barter/trade piece that I could play until the right deal came along because I know people are forever trading for them.

So, keeping this thing would require me to sell the EJ and JM pretty much as soon as I get them. I'm torn, how fast do you guys think this damn Robot Guitar will appreciate? Is it worth it to have another guitar that just sits in the closet, or two that I will play. I've never been a collector - per say - just more of a collector of guitars I will play. I just don't want to feel like I should shoot myself in the face because of how much these are worth in like 2 or 3 years. GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!

Thanks fellas.

2. JStizz

JStizz Member

you said it yourself... youre not a collector, and you will never play it. that alone is reason enough to sell it for something you actually will want to play.

3. snarkle

snarkle Member

Play it a little bit...if it's not all it's cracked up to be, there's a good chance it's not going to appreciate much once the fad value wears off, and you'd be better off flipping it for some quick coin.

Frankly, though, I'm just going to wait for the next generation of robot guitars, assuming that they'll tune themselves AND make coffee in the morning...

4. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

While it is indeed a First Run Limited Edition that they will never again produce in that color (Blue Silverburst), I think it is fair to say that Gibson will produce more of these guitars should the market warrant it.

Thus I would have to say it is hard to believe they will continue to sustain their currently high price should that day arrive. I looked at the completed EBAY listings and it is quite amazing what a few of these have sold for.

Hard to predict where the market will go for these, seems most have sold on Ebay for ~$3000 with a few tipping past the $6000 mark.

Personally, if it were me, and if I were not going to ever keep it to play, now would seem a good time to list it at a price you are comfortable with.

5. desceneisvals

Yeah I agree 100%. This is where my thoughts/heart were immediately, but walking around with my dog for like 45 minutes and talking to myself I started to wonder whether I should keep it. I still have two days to think about it though, since for the first time I can ever think of eBay is actually lowering their fees starting February 1. (YAY!)

6. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Keep it. You will be able to turn it when you are done for a profit. Also, they really don't sound bad. Ebony board, maple top and the electronics? It is actually a pretty good deal for just a regular paul at the price you got it. I would keep it if I were you. My friend bought 3, sold 3 and wishes he had 1.

7. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Sell it now while you know you can make some money off it. Otherwise, you'll find it's (even more) worthless when Robot Guitar 2.0 is released.

-Austin

8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I'd keep it but personally I really like it!
    I'm interested in being in great tuning along with quickly using other alternate tunings.

9. desceneisvals

I'm kinda leaning away from keeping it. Not a huge fan of the chambered body sound wise. I also already have 2 Pauls I LOVE. ('78 LP Pro and first year '98 LP DC)

10. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

In that case, keep it! You already have 2 that sound good. Sounds like you have answered your own question!

11. BPlexico

The other thing to ponder is this, beyond the Limited Edition stuff, the key selling point is the electronics. If and when Gibson does another run, and over time, it is highly likely that Gibson and Tronical, the supplier of the electronics, may update the electronics to address some of the issues noted in the published reviews of the guitar. This will no doubt lessen demand for the Limited Run.

Hey, some people are getting $6000 for the guitar, doesn't hurt to see if you can get that too, at which point, I would say you are way ahead of the game and don't look back.

12. desceneisvals

I don't know if you meant to say keep it or sell it?

I know I won't keep this guitar for life. But my only hang up (which has pretty much died between this thread and mine on HC) is that, will I be able to get some nice old wood vintage Fender for what this will be worth in two years? But, most everyone else seems to be on the same page as I, that it is in its peak and I should flip it now.

13. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Flip it ASAP and avoid gimmick guitars in the future.

14. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

If you're gonna play it - keep it. If not - sell it.
    I played one & was shocked at how much I dug it. Not crazy about the color, but the function is truly incredible.

15. DavidE

DavidE Member

Read it again. They're lowering the LISTING fee, but they're INCREASING the final value fee on the first dollars to over 8% so they're making it up. Maybe taking more? I haven't done the math.

16. desceneisvals

because someone on hc hassled me for a picture when i was gonna wait and take some nice pretty ones tomorrow in the sun.

[​IMG]

17. desceneisvals

Damn, I didn't see that. I can only read so far into some eBay rules though, because eventually it just looses my attention. What ****ers...

18. BPlexico

I am too lazy to do the math too, but here is what you are looking at:

Effective Feb 20, 2008

Insertion Fees:

At $500 or more you save $4.00

Gallery Feature Fee:

You save .35 cents

Final Value Fees for over $1,000.01:

Current
    5.25% of the initial $25.00, plus 3.25% of the initial $25.00 - $1,000.00 plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value)

New
    8.75% of the initial $25.00, plus 3.50% of the initial $25.00 - $1,000.00 plus 1.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value)

Ok - I did the math - I believe you would save $1.03 under the new system assuming you sell you item for 1001.01 or more.

19. desceneisvals

well hell, i've got to list her tomorrow before the fees get worse. good lookin' out; just when i thought things were getting better...

20. BPlexico

Actually after doing the math it is a wash - you would save about $1.03 under the new system.