So I just listened to Atom Heart Mother for the first time

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stevel, Jan 13, 2015.

1. stevel

stevel Member

They say you never forget your first time.

My god. It's full of stars.

Words fail me.

I've known the "popular" Floyd catalog - from DSOTM through The Wall (and yeah, the pop songs from the Final Cut and all of Momentary Lapse of Reason).

Aside from the old Closet Classics video of See Emily Play, I'd never heard any pre-DSOTM Floyd (aside from the first thing on Meddle, which I've heard in snippets about the band or other places).

I listened to Meddle too, and Obscured by Clouds, because, you know, it was time. And I figured, DSOTM couldn't have just sprung out of nowhere.

OBC makes sense. So does Meddle. Of course there are still some "60s band" stuff in there, as well as some "out of place" stuff - i.e., not the "full grown" band that penned DSOTM, but there are things that are brilliant, that foreshadow DSOTM and the later catalog, and sitting here still listening to AHM as I type, possibly superior...

I now must buy all 3.

Dare I listen to Ummagumma - I'm getting myself in trouble.

At any rate, this has been one of the best nights of my life.

An unparalleled discovery.

I'm going to be happy for a long time now.

I just wish I could share my discovery with others - like me, most people have only heard the DSOTM through The Wall (and Turning Away, though maybe none of Animals) except the really old hippies ;-).

I think AHM might be as good as anything they did (there are shades of The Beatles, which I love, but definitely nothing like it).

Wow. Just. Wow.

2. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Supporting Member

3. specialkindofhell

specialkindofhell Member

Yeah, all the earlier LPs are great, I wish I could hear them again for the first time. The live half of Ummagumma to me is absolutely essential. Floyd live at that time was incredible ("at Pompeii" video also). If you like the Atom Heart Mother suite, you have to hear the live version from 1970 at the Paris Theatre recorded by the BBC, complete with chorus and orchestra group. It's by far the best version of that piece I've ever heard.

4. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

There is a really cool TV studio vid of Floyd doing Atom Heart Mother at KQED PBS San Fran in 1970. Pops up on youtube once in a while and then gets pulled.
    I have no idea why PBS hasn't released that session for fund raisers instead of the Floyd wannabes.

5. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Except for Shine on, the early stuff I always enjoyed much more

6. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

Don't forget to listen to Roger Waters and Ron Geesin's Music From The Body too. Ron collaborated with PF on Atom Heart Mother

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I've never been able to get much into their stuff before DSOTM. I don't know why!

8. ArchDukeOfTops

ArchDukeOfTops Member

Really cool album with its own thing going on.

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

My the time I got to AHM, I had already had my Echoes and "several species... cave" initiations.

10. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Funny you should put it like that.

I was still in high school when I started dating a college girl. She invited me to come up for the weekend. It was my first time. She put enough LPs on her cheap-o record player to play all night. She and her friends were pretty hip and had great tastes in music.

I can definitely remember Atom Heart Mother, John Barleycorn Must Die and In the Court of the Crimson King all of which I heard for the first time. That's all I remember for the moment. Those albums still have a haunting quality for me every time I hear them.

11. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

AHM is great!!!

I have a higher opinion of the title track, than Pink Floyd apparently has. Both Waters and Gilmour have said they don't care for it that much.

"If" and "Fat Old Sun" are also two underrated Floyd classics...

All of those pre-DTSOTM records are must-haves. :)

12. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

Just to show you how adventurous they were live:

Fat Old Sun Original

Fat Old Sun, extended and fully realized

And just for good measure, David Gilmour from 2006

13. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I really dog classic rock music, but I am on a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR Pink Floyd bender and have been for about three months. I've also gone back and really dug into AHM, Meddle, and earlier stuff.

They really have some incredible music out there. I was really looking forward to Endless River, but we know how that turned out....

14. mockoman

mockoman Member

Question for the Floyd heads: Is this mere coincidence,or is there more to it than that? The lyrics are almost opposite ideas,but the music,complete with handclaps...
    The first time I heard Free Four,I thought it was going to be a cover version of Spirit in the Sky...

15. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

what I really enjoy about the AHM suite is that the full choir & orchestra performances and then the stripped back, only Floyd version is an education in itself. It's like it is a completely different song but equally enjoyable for different reasons.

16. cadduc

cadduc Member

I love that you can see the roll of duct tape on top of the keys in the pbs video, and you can see the duct tape holding the keys stack

my friends and I discovered pf many times in our youth, and seeing them at the fillmore west (carousel ballroom) and winterland, before they broke into stadiums,
    yes that too was swell

17. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

I like the main theme a bit, but not that much.

18. stevel

stevel Member

Then you didn't do it right
    :crazyguy

19. stevel

stevel Member

I hadn't either. I hadn't really tried to be honest. But it's one of those things where, at least here in the states, and in my age bracket, I've never, ever, ever, heard anything earlier than DSOTM on the radio. So I sort of go in with the mindset that it's not all that well-liked, so it must not be that good.

Then, the other part of that is I always meet these older guys who are all raving about the early stuff and say they "sold out" with DSOTM, or that "DSOTM onward is nowhere near as good" - I always just take those people as those people who grew up during the time and like most people we know, they stop listening to anything new past a certain point.

In that way, Floyd seems to have had two careers - pre DSOTM and from DSOTM onward (not counting things like membership changes).

This happens with Fleewood Mac too. I think the only pre Lindsey and Stevie song I know is "Miracles". Everybody's all "oh they were so much better before, Peter Green blah blah" (ok, I've since googled Albatross). Maybe they were "better" but they were certainly far more *successful* with LB/SN (and of course, the bands could be more drastically different in that case). And again, that's the only material you ever hear.

I'm probably not going to dig into the early Mac catalog, but I'm at least going back 3 before DSOTM for Floyd.

20. b_goatman

b_goatman Supporting Member

Atom Heart Mother...still one of my favorites from the Floyd catalog. As I teenager I had several fine trips with it. I love "Summer '68"...

It is interesting that when some talk about early PF they say "you mean DSOTM, right?".