So I just put Industrial Strength Velcro on my Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by toast487, Feb 17, 2012.

1. toast487

toast487 Member

I just committed my pedals to velcro. I have to say, it was difficult to do. Especially with that adhesive on the industrial strength. I still have yet to bring myself to apply it to a hand painted JHS pedal I own. Anyone else dread velcro day?

2. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I like velcroe day

3. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

I put blue painters tape between the velcro and the bottoms of my pedals. so i can remove the velcro and the pedal still looks new underneath. it works out better for resale

[​IMG]

4. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

awesome idea--imma try this!

5. nl128

make sure the bottom of the pedal is very clean when you apply the tape or else the pull of the velcro will peel the tape off when you move the pedal to different spots your board.

I use alcohol or something like window cleaner

6. toast487

toast487 Member

And does the tape hold to the pedal even when pulling it off the board?

7. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

LOVE velcro day....hate two weeks after when i decide to move stuff around or sell a pedal! :bonk

8. nl128

yeah, as long as you clean the bottom of the pedal good with alcohol. I havent had any problems

9. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Why would I dread velcro day? It means I'm gonna gig that pedal!

10. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

Unless there's a sticker with the serial number on it, go for it. I usually flip the bottoms on my pedals if possible.

11. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

If you use a plastic putty knife to pry the pedal up from the board, there is no pull on the Velcro... or pulling period. Just slide the knife between the pedal and your board.

Also, there's really no need to actually stick the Velcro to your pedals at all. I used to use the "diaper method". Cut a strip of velcro about a 1/2in wide, and an inch or so longer than the width of your pedal's bottom plate. Leave the paper backing on. Loosen the bottom of your pedal. Insert the ends of the strip, paper side facing the pedal, between your pedal and it's bottom. Tighten the bottom. Voila! Here's a sketch:

[​IMG]

12. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

Only on the Gear Page...:rotflmao

13. MG90

MG90 Member

I would use Velco strips that are made to be sewn on- no tape backing.

14. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Yeah.... I just tend to recommend this because most people already have the other kind lying around.

15. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

I've successfully removed adhesive from one of my pedals by just pulling it off, it left no residue.

16. teleclem

teleclem Member

I don't dread it. Having the pedals securely fastened to my board is important to me.

17. JosephSky

JosephSky Member

I have probably sold over 20 some pedals on eBay and various sites over the years and not once has the velcro been an issue or caused me to get a lower sale value.

If its something with a really expensive hand painted finish like a Zvex, buy yourself a blank pedal enclosure, and take the blank bottom and put that on the pedal you wanted velcro'd.

Another easy way to remove velcro'd pedals is using something like your supermarket bonus card.

18. BillyDW

BillyDW Member

Why in the hell do people use Velcro on their pedalboards when 3M dual lock exists?

19. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

The industrial str one can peel the paint off if you take them off, if your not careful, believe me I found out from experience. At least it was only a newer MXR Dist +. Maybe they use crappy paint these days for the cheap pedals.

20. TrainBridge

TrainBridge Member

I put masking tape on the bottoms of my pedals before applying Velcro to them. If you want to take the Velcro off pull the masking tape off. Voila still perfect! And no it doesn't come off when I remove the pedal from my board. I got 2 rolls of masking tape for $1.15 that should last me oh 10 or so years worth of pedals give or take.