So I landed a Yamaha T50 (Soldano Designed)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TechpriesT, Jun 14, 2006.

1. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

Lol, I haven't gotten it yet, so what do yall think of these amps? Give me the skinny, the low down, the scoop and an honest opinion or 2.
    Thanks.

2. Lution

Lution Member

I had one last year.

I liked it, especially for its separate EQs for each channel. I really loved the overdrive. Very Soldano-ish.

I ended up letting it go because I was looking for more of a Blackface type clean as a pallette for my Od pedals and also because the reverb really reacted wierdly when switching channels. It really made some noise when you switched from od to clean.

but I liked it. Nice amp for the price.

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

I had one in the early 90's. Loved it. It was stolen from out of my car. Never saw it again.

4. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

I had a T100 a few years back.
    Nothing at all like an SLO 100 ...
    I have a 92 SLO and this was horrible beside it. I sent it to Soldano for the choke mod and the preamp mod to bring it up to SLO specs (on paper) This helped a bit, but I guess I was "hoping for more", wayyyy more.

I lost my shirt on that amp. I have played half a dozen others and they all sound like unmusical, glass on cement, no bottom end, fingernails on blackboard - crap. Yes, they have the "gain" of an SLO 100 but that's where any similarities end. They also have USELESS fx loops!
    I hate these amps...I guess I'm alone here, and we all have different ears.
    Just my 2 cents...

Keith

Tone_Terrific and fatztreeboy like this.
  5. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

I appreciate yalls input, did any of yall get a cap job done? (considering yamaha uses crap)

6. SQUAREHEAD

Sorry,
    Yes, the filter caps were done at the same time.when I sent it to Soldano.
    Bill Sundt did everything he thought he could, to bring it as close as possible to the SLO, but no, it didn't even come close in the end. Bill and Mike are great guys and tried everything they knew would help, but even Mike said that it will never sound like an SLO.
    I really don't mean to be a dickhead or rain on anyone's parade!! Please don't take it this way guys. Just do NOT buy one of these things expecting SLO100 tone.

Take care,
    Keith

7. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

lol for 350$ im not expecting SLO, just 5150 or better. lol, i know i have high expectations.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I didn't do the cap and choke job but even with a depth mod, my T100 lacked low end. It nailed early 80s metal tones but it definitely lacked something compared to the Soldanos I've owned.

As for the FX loop, I found it very disappointing but not particularly more so than the HR50 or Decatone I had.

9. SQUAREHEAD

In my opinion, a 5150 is WAY SUPERIOR to the Yamaha T50/100 amps...

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You can have the lead channel modded to near SLO specs very easily. I did my T100. Stock, the lead channel was really thin sounding, barely usable for a neck HB. Modded, it was (sold it) OK as a basic lead rock OD tone, but harsh for mild breakup on either channel. Of course, it sounds best turned up into a 4/12. They are quite well-built.

11. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I agree with Keith, mostly...

It won't sound like an SLO, and I don't think it is in the same category as the 5150 either.

I like the separate eq's and it is ok as a practice amp imo. a good amp for the price for sure. enjoy!

12. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

I bet trace at voodoo amps could do good things with it.

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I have a T50 1x12 combo and have loads of other expensive amps and rare amps and cheap amps and my t50 can blend in with the best of them or the worst! Sounds like a weird description but I'm serious. I had a Killer FJA (JErry P ) modded 5150 head and I like my T50 C more than that.. Actually a good deal more, but the modded 5150 was killer. My T50 can definitely sound good. I tweak everything though and always mix and match tubes and speakers til I find the best combos. (For me) .. IT's an amp that can EASILY SOUND BAD though , and I have a feeling if some guys don't stick with it or find the right combinations they'd dismiss it. I've had much hi-end rock gear and I can get this to sound as good as the Vht preamp or Egnater preamp I had or most of my Marshalls , Demeters , Tverbs, Thd's , etc. for many styles. I've never played a SLO 100 but have heard many in bar concerts, and mine can sound pretty much like them and feels great too. I have Tungsol 5881's and a mixture of old Yugo , RFT, etc pres. Good luck

ERIC

ROKY and Moxsam like this.
  14. Giga

Giga Member

A few years ago I watched a show where a guy used one (not sure if it was a 50 or a 100).
    He had one of the best modern bluestones I've ever heard.

Giga.

Edit: It was Tino Gonzales

15. TechpriesT

TechpriesT Member

ericb, what settings do you use? and speakers and other junk?

16. SQUAREHEAD

Wow, Eric!
    I don't agree at all. I tried every power tube, preamp tube, every speaker, 2x12 cabs etc... etc ...
    btw, it did sound "less bad" with a Bogner greenback 4x12 cab, but NO WHERE near a 5150 or any other high end gear!! I would have kept it in a heartbeat if it was even close to a Bogner / Soldano / 5150 / Wizard etc.
    It was not "just" mine either, as I have tried out numerous T100's over the years. None of them are in the same league as any high end amps, not even close.
    BUT... It's all subjective, and my ears are a little worn out!:rotflmao
    Keith

17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A0614D1C3821DBB4

Here is a clip of my t100 added into a clip of an SLO I lifted from a HC posting some time ago. The SLO opens the clip and I try to play fills in his phrasing. Notice that the SLO sounds more forward in the mix and has a "better" tone (IMO). The SLO sounds like normal rock tone to me. The Yam is fair, (after mods). I have pedals that work better.

18. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I have tried many Yam T series amps over the years. IMO, and for me, they SUCK, and I am a Soldano fan. There is NOTHING Soldano about the tone of the T series IMO. A 5150, as stated earlier in this thread, is a HUGE upgrade from a T series.

19. SQUAREHEAD

If these amps weren't "designed" by Mike Soldano, they would not even be discussed anywhere by anyone.

20. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey You guys, I fully understand you guys who didn't like the T100 or T50 you owned.. I can fully understand why some guys on this forum prefer their Budda or Marshall Silver Jubilee to a 3000.00 Two Rock , and the guys who prefer their Two Rock to a PV Classic. Some guys believe or not , will prefer their PV Classic. Every one of us has a different touch playing , totally different hands and technique, and tweaks things different.. Techpriest, I'm not one to dish out amp settings over the internet.. Sorry dude, that part is totally up to you to figure out. I can't believe all the guys on forums who'll ask for people's pedal or amp settings. It doesn't work that way .. SETTINGS are the result of your own forearms, wrists, and fingers, speakers, pickups, type of guitar,etc,etc, and another etc. .............. ALSO a result of your own ears. My ears are different than you guys. So are your neighbors. Regardless of all that stuff which I've just learned, after playing guitar for 32 years now (14-46) , in mine I've been using a PV Scorpian speaker and an extension cab with an Eminence Man-o-War.. It's an unusual combination but I never listen to people's recommendations of speakers anymore. I have to hear them with my own ears.. IT kicks ass with that amp.. I use TungSol 5881 's and a mixture of Rft and 80's Yugos and other preamp tubes. I get these all for not much more than regular everyday tubes, and to me , they're all immeasurably better than any of the generations of Chinese or Russian pre tubes I 've tried. I'll use an Axis Research Fuzz Faze , or Fulltone 69 pedal with the amp and you can xform the clean channel into a beautiful channel with all of the above.. YEa, yea, yea,, who would want to do that!!!!??? Why not just buy an amp with a decent clean channel you ask? GOOD POINT... This clean channel without tweaks and pedals SUCKS I think.. BUT my challenge with gear is getting what works for me, and pedals are ALWAYS a part of that equation for me and always will be.. AS for the drive channel , you have to have the mids and hi's low , and the bass up . Otherwise it's a piece of crud... My Engls are like that too. But once you learn that stuff, it's totally easy to mix/match pedals with that and they sound great. Hey I have lots of great amps from modded Marshalls to Thd's to 2 Demeters a Tremoverb,etc but as I said before I can get this amp to sound like them. I like lots of amps that guys around here don't like ... 1 amp that I didn't like a huge amount was a Budda Superdrive 30 combo I had in pristine shape but I like this one more. I had an Egnater/Rocktron IE4 preamp and this is nicer than that for me.. STOCK though with the Sovtek or JJ 6l6's and the Cele G12H100 speaker and no pedals the amp is merely ok. I'd buy a Hot Rod Deluxe or a PV Classic for that price instead.

Have fun!!!! I realize I'm probably discrediting myself to some of you ,but that's ok , as I just post what I believe in .. Words on the internet are merely words but I'm trying to describe how I have made that amp work for me. I'm not a guitar straight into amp guy and I always use pedals with any setup I own. . .SO MANY of my friends can't dial in amps at all. They make money and many gig 3-4 nites a week .. .Some are on labels. I'm just a weekend barband guy who plays very p/t at this point. I've been in really good bands and 95% of the time, I've been the only guitarist and I'm ok.. There's loads of better guitarists out there and loads of worse ones!! But I know gear pretty well and know how to make almost anything work for me. AS for the PV 5150 blows this amp away sentiment, I can fully understand that. I'm a strong advocate for 5150's when dialed in right !!!! I have some friends that sound like absolute **** thru theirs and other times they can sound killer! Mine did.. But mine didn't blow away my t50c either!
    ROck on!

ERIC

Moxsam likes this.