So I made a guitar body shield after screwdriver slipped...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by marytakesadrag, Apr 13, 2016.

1. marytakesadrag

marytakesadrag Member

I have direct mount pickups on my newest guitar, a Warmoth Diamondback. Aligning them center and getting the perfect height (without foam underneath to help) is a pain! I had the strings hovering over the sides of the polepieces which was good enough for me, but after adjusting the height, mysteriously, the big E string is completely off the polepiece and the A string is barely grazing the parallel airspace.

During my numerous and failed attempts to get both center alignment and height preference, my screwdriver slipped and I made a scratch on the guitar body! As you can imagine, I wasn't too happy about that... but still, nothing I can't fix. (I already have a more serious dink on my body, mysteriously, so my heart was already broken in for additional heartbreak haha)

Anyway so I decided to build a body shield to prevent this blunder from happening again. The final product humored me so thought I share it with y'all haha

[​IMG]

Doubt anyone cares but here are some details haha. I cut down a cardboard crate that originally held six olive oil bottles. I didn't use the part that had stain rings. Anyway, the cardboard is really thick; it's much thicker than standard cardboard found in postal packages. And while cutting and shaping and taping, I pretty much winged it (imagine that? :p). Only time I lined things up and made marks with a pen was for the pickups and the area of the pickup screws. Then I taped the cardboard pieces together with packaging tape and created my shield! I'm sure if Captain America was in a surf band, this shield would make even him envious! (not)

The shield is composed of 2 main pieces, or "wings" as I call it, and a few smaller parts. This makes it easy to assemble and disassemble the shield, with or without strings on. There's a left wing and a right wing. There's an individual strip between the TOM and stoptail, not taped to anything. There's two individual strips intersecting between the knobs, not taped either. And there's a small "wing" or should I say "feather" covering the space between the selector switch and the knobs.

Hasn't had its trial run yet but going to in a minute!

Btw sorry for the cruddy photo. My phone is very low tier and didn't feel like busting out my girlfriend's DSLR just for this haha. I need an iPhone, Galaxy, or L-something!

And lastly, for the curious-minded, here's a breakdown of my initial issue. The center alignment would shift as I screw in the humbucker. The lead wire is pretty snug and wants to pull the humbucker towards the controls and the polepieces away from the E and A string, but I can work around that as long as I have a firm grip on it (or so I thought). I was adamant that I could get the same results that I had before (fairly aligned polepieces) since no changes were made since, to the direct-mount holes or anything. Maybe somehow the holes became outta whack... Who knows?

Pizza, theon, BrentSP and 4 others like this.
  2. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Yup. We use guards I fabricated from sheet metal sealed in nylon fabric to protect guitars in the shop, always....especially when turning fasteners or working with hand tools & hardware on, around or near the instrument. I call 'em bodyguards.

marytakesadrag likes this.
  3. radiolab

radiolab Member

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

It looks OK but upper fret access isn't too good.

stratter and Torren61 like this.
  5. marytakesadrag

marytakesadrag Member

Fortunately, I got the neck pickup down perfectly first try haha. Just need to get my pesky bridge pickup in perfect form. But yes, thanks for pointing that out; I will expand my shield if I ever need to work on the neck pickup.

That sounds neat! Much more cooler and professional than my cardboard shield haha

I think you're onto something...

6. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

And, now your guitar smells like olive oil!

Torren61 likes this.
  7. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

You missed a spot....

;-)

Torren61 likes this.
  8. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Looks like something Devo would have played back in the day.

marytakesadrag and Torren61 like this.
  9. Tonelover

Tonelover Supporting Member

I usually just lay a towel over the area I'm working on. I think it would be a lot easier.

songtalk likes this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Member

I bought a new PRS McCarty with soap bars from GC in San Bernardino back in 2003. I didn't know how to really set up my guitars and they sent me to this guy who worked out of his home and lived somewhere near Redlands, CA.

So, he's adjusting the bridge mounting screws with a flathead and it's giving him fits. He's bearing down with a lot of body weight when the screwdriver slips off and leaves the big old gash in the natural finish and the wood is all compressed.

He looks at me and says "Looks like you get a free setup."

I wanted to punch the old effer in the face. But then, what do you do? I was building power lines in the area and I had a house in CO so I was staying in a hotel. I could have taken him to small claims court but I'd have lost $500 gross for missing a work day.

I took the free setup and didn't really have much to say to the guy. I told the GC manager to not send people to that clown anymore. I didn't expect GC to do anything in the way of compensation and they did not. Wasn't their fault.

11. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Slot head pickup adjustment screws are imported straight from hell.

marytakesadrag and Torren61 like this.
  12. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

:spit :bow

LOL EPIC!

marytakesadrag likes this.
  13. Brian N

Brian N Member

I assume you've already applied for the patent?

Torren61 likes this.
  14. marytakesadrag

marytakesadrag Member

I was wondering why my guitar kept saying, "I'm gonna make the amp an offer that he can't refuse."

Shhh... Don't tell anyone... :p

You punch him in the face is exactly what you do! Free setup? How about a $100 gift card! But man, seriously, sorry to hear that!

My scratch may come out with some polishing. Also got a dink that reached wood so I have to dye it; already got Keda aniline dye sitting around. Then I need to fill it with some crazy glue or something, and then smooth things out with super fine wet sandpaper. Maybe polishing compound if I need it but I've never used it before. Got a beat-up Squier Affinity Strat laying around that I use for experiments; the polishing compound and the Squier shall have a blind date!

This x1000000000000! Haha.
    Thank you kind sir!

Patent? Psh, I'm 12 steps ahead of you. In a week, they'll be in stock at your local Best Buy in the WTF MUSIC INSTRUMENTS? section!

----

Btw everyone, after 2 attempts of adjusting with the shield on, I got both center and height adjustment down. Everything is perfect! Except for my guitar nut haha. If it's not one thing, it's another!

Axis29, Torren61 and andyk like this.