So I need a 1x12 combo, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by goodwillsteve, Mar 20, 2008.

1. goodwillsteve

goodwillsteve Member

Ok well I've stopped playing in bands and I live in an apartment and my Vox AC30 is way too loud. If I can convince my friend to buy it I'll be in the market for a 1X12 combo. Here's my list of must haves:

1x12 combo
    Sounds good with my 335 (my Vox is just too dark with it)
    A good clean, but a good sounding overdrive as well (but not scorching metal saturation)
    Reverb
    Doesn't require a boost or overdrive to make the rig work
    Well built
    UNDER $700

I'm currently looking at the Mini Z with the built in attenuator but it's slightly out of my price range with cab and all.

Anyway, any suggestions are kindly welcomed and maybe ya'll can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance, Stephen

2. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

In that budget there is only a few and they probably won't be boutique. If low vol. is the key, how about a 5w class A. MF has those by Epiphone, Blackheart, Fender, Crate and Peavey. And they have slightly larger wattage, say 15-20 and 20-40 in the same brands plus Laney, Traynor and B-52. I would buy any of those amps cause I've played em all at GC except the laney and Blackheart. The Crate Palomino's are pretty good. And I have the Traynor YCV-40 as well. It's a decent amp. The Peavey Valve kings sound decent. The Epiphones are OK.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

AC15CC? The Vox top boost channel (no cut) with a Master Volume. Replace the Wharfdale with a Blue (if you must) and you're there for around $700.
    Reverend Hellhound, used? I have one on the way so I really can't speak to it yet, but my research points to a unique sounding 40/60 watt lighter 1x12 with Reverb, FX loop, MV, a british voicing and US voicing, all tube (not handwired PTP) made in USA... Getting harder to find, but there is one on ebay as we speak for $600 shipped.

4. gtrmaestro

gtrmaestro Member

Trade for a Peavey Classic 30?

5. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
  6. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

7. doc

doc Member

I have an amp that might work well for you that I've been thinking of selling. Its a mid 80's Fender Concert (Rivera design). Its one of the last point to point Fenders, its got a pretty nice Fender clean, a switchable overdrive thats pretty nice (a little Dumbley/Boogie sounding), 1 X 12, in very nice shape. It has reverb. It has a master volume, so you can play at bedroom levels, but it also has 2 6L6s, so it can play small clubs. I could probably let it go at close to the top of your stated price range. PM me if you want to discuss further.

8. Ryan

Ryan Member

Blackheart BH-5 with JJ's and a Hammond OT.

9. TYY

TYY Member

I think your AC30 is broken. Mine can do the blizzard of nails thing. Why can't yours?

10. goodwillsteve

goodwillsteve Member

Too dark with my 335.... my telecaster sounds very nice with it. And that's all my opinion anyway. Also, my $700 price is the used price. I never buy gear new. Nothing ever holds it's initial value. Thanks to the suggestions. Anymore are appreciated.

11. joel98z

joel98z Member

I second the classic 30, buy on used and you will have plenty of coin left for speaker and tube upgrade.. And then have one hell of an amp..

12. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Instead of lowering your amp size, increase your tolerance for angry neighbors.

13. Digby

Digby Senior Member

Actually, I'd say the Valveking sounds better than decent. Especially with a speaker upgrade. A tube upgrade might provide great results too, but I haven't tried it yet myself.

I think some people hear this amp with their beliefs about price being the measure of quality. I've met a few top-notch players who like them. Reminds me of when the Classic 50 first came out. It was largely dismissed as a toy or a low quality amp. Then people started seeing serious players using them and suddenly the Classic 50 was an amp worth having.

I'd suggest trying one with a truly open mind. If you like it, then even with a speaker and tube upgrade you would come out under budget.

Digby

14. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

15. TYY

TYY Member

Doesn't sound right at all. It should be capable of ultra bright tones even with humbucker. I'm assuming it has a brilliant channel, of course. Also the blues help.

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

No way the AC30 should be too dark. Something is wrong here, amp, settings, speaker, guitar???

17. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
  18. srvfan18

srvfan18 Member

Have you tried the Traynor ycs50. It is a 1x12 amp all tube combo with the ability to switch down to 15watts class A power. Really nice clean and excellent overdrive. Check it out. They are only around $600 new. I have the ycs90 combo and could not be happier.

19. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Find a Mesa DC-5 COMBO, this is a sleeper for sure.

20. diezelboy

diezelboy Member

YCS50 combo - 15w class A switchable - U may wanna change the V30 speaker to something else tho.