So I ordered a Bluesberry

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed Reed, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

one more od for the arsenal. Tell about your experiences with the BB? I plan to try it wil my Korg AC30.

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I have really enjoyed mine. The Ghia has EL84s as well and has some AC30-like characteristics, I think you will be very happy. I had the original hotcake and then use a couple of other pedals for grit and overdrive and found myself using the hotcake for a mostly clean boost, so I switched to the Bluesberry... it has a smoother gain structure I have read, and my impressions pretty much reflect that. While I use it for a punchy possibly mildly overdriven clean boost (at least when it comes out of the amp), it does great on its own for everything up to mid-gain OD, I don't really personally like getting a ton of distortion from a pedal or preamp gain anyway, so that hasn't been an area I've really explored.

It's a great sounding pedal, very amp-like and works with your rig very nicely, you can set it to be 100% neutral and then add what you want from it, a lot of your dynamics and touch will come through with more "bloom" or sag so to speak. Paul Crowther has been great over email as well... Have fun!

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

What is the normal delivery from Paul?

4. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I enjoyed mine...must admit to prefering the stock HC though. Has a little upper mid kick the BB didn't. Personal preference though...i may be in the minority.

5. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Love the bluesberry - never tried the original but it is supurb with my orange ad30htc. To me it sounds good as an out and out overdrive on a clean(ish) amp or taking a cranked amp that little bit further. Personally I use it on a cranked amp at gig levels and use it thru a cleaner amp at home. Very versatile and is the best overdrive I have ever come across as yet...although that doesnt stop me trying and buying other OD'S :Spank

6. Brick

Brick Member

I ordered mine from Tonefactor. Had it 3 days later.

Great pedal for sure.

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

8. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

Love my Hotcake and just bit the bullet and ordered one.

Can't wait. All my amps just dig the Hotcake and I'm hoping the Bluesberry will fit in just as well.

9. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

A truly wonderful pedal. I ordered my old one from Musictoyz and it was defective. I exchanged it and had to wait about a month to get a new one, but it is probably my favorite pedal out there, even though I don't use pedals anymore. A wonderful alternative to a Tube Screamer.

10. dosmun

dosmun Member

So is the Bluesberry just less Fizzy at higher gain settings?

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

"smoother gain structure" is what I read... works for me! I don't use the higher gain settings much unless I want to play rawk god idiot at home in the late evening hours without making too much noise... I wouldn't really use the pedal for that, I do somewhere in between clean boost and light/med gain OD... It's not a heavy gain pedal like a Boss Metal Zone or anything, but it makes your amp break up incredibly moreso than using its own breakup into a clean amp I think....

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

I use mine 99% of the time with the Drive below 11:00. I have both a Stock and a "Komet" model. I don't notice any fizz or harshness on mine at low gain settings.

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Agreed. It is not fizzy unless you are trying to use it as a higher gain device...

14. granite

granite Member

My Bluesberry was delivered today. I bought it from a fellow TGPer. I've only noodled with it for 30 minutes, but my initial impression is that it's a keeper for me. Not fizzy or super high gain IMHO. I ran it directly into my Orange AD30R set to a clean setting and the OD tones it delivered were exceptional. Controled feedback and crisper, brighter tones than my Orange is capable of on its own.

I've owned a Timmy, BJF Honeybee, Keeley Mod Blues Driver, and a Texas Two Step in the past, but sold all of them. I currently own a Pedal Doctor 4 Speed OD and a Zvex SHO.

I used the 4 Speed a lot on a recent studio project and I believe the 4 speed is made for studio work. It excels in that capacity, but in a live situation you can't take advantage of all the 4 speed can offer. Don't get me wrong, I love the 4 Speed, but the SHO and Bluesberry I think are more usable in a live situation and probably great in the studio as well. I'm going to try stacking SHO and the Bluesberry to see what madness they can create.

Quick, basic comparisons based on my fading memory:

Timmy has more gain than Bluesberry, but Bluesberry seems "cleaner" and is more pleasing to my ear and more usable for my musical style.

Honeybee. I never really grew to love this pedal. I wanted to, but it was just too subtle for use with my Orange. Maybe with a Fender it would be cool, but not with an Orange. Bluesberry, more gain, more dynamics.

The Keeley Mod BD was noisey and way too over the top for me. The fact you couldn't use batteries with it was a neg as well. Bluesberry is not noisey at all and has more uses than the BD2. "cleaner sounding". More natural.

I've got to run and put the kids to bed, but I'll write more later.

15. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Thanks, I bought a HB from someone here, maybe I've got yours? I'm happy to hear you like the Bluesberry over the HB as it has a bit more gain. That's exactly what I'd say the down side of the HB is, just not enough gain by it's self. That said, the HB has a coolness of it's own and stacks better than anything I've seen. I just want ONE good sounding od to use with my AC30 to get a pushed tone. Also one that doesn't cost $300.00. :eek: I like to leave my pedals at the church I play at but can't sleep with a Honey Bee and a Klon unattended if you know what I mean.

16. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Well it arrived. It's a great od booster. Very amp like (I always read that but wasn't sure what it meant). With my Bassman and the drive on 10:00 I was getting As the Wind Cries Mary tones from my strat. I used it with my Tyler today and my AC30 (gain about the same) and volume boosted and I liked what it did.

As I first said, one more for the arsenal. It's great to have several cool od's to choose from. Much less expensive than buying new amps.

17. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone tried the Bluesberry with a blackface Fender? My main amp is a blackface Deluxe Reverb and I'm currently using a Nobels ODR-1 but the Bluesberry has sparked my interest.

18. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW)

If I could only use 1 od/dist, it'd be the Bluesberry -- even over my Box of Rock. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to dial-in a perfect tone for your amp -- just take your time and nail-down your sound.

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I love my bluesberry... had the standard model for years and switched about a year ago- both are great pedals... highly recommended for carmen ghia owners...