• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

So I ordered a helix finally! Low pass and ir suggestions?

johnnyelgato

Silver Supporting Member
Hey I've finally pulled the trigger and ordered one yesterday! For those of you playing live any suggestions for low and hi pass filters as a starting point? And for any suggested IR's for a twin, ac30, and plexi?

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Hey I've finally pulled the trigger and ordered one yesterday! For those of you playing live any suggestions for low and hi pass filters as a starting point? And for any suggested IR's for a twin, ac30, and plexi?
How are you planning to amplify it for live use?

3dognate

Are you the Johnny El Gatto that used to do Demos and stuff for Carl Zwengel?

I'm not running any Global HPF/LPF.... I usually increase the HPF on my IR block up to 80hz +/- 10hz depending on the IR. For cabs... I really like the cabs from Freman's presets... he's got a killer Vox IR and some great tight sounding 4x12s.

johnnyelgato

Silver Supporting Member
Guitar Dave - a lot of places I will run it straight to front of house. I play a lot downtown nashville and sometimes play 2-3 shows a day- almost everyplace isolated or puts speaker baffles on amps so that you can't hear your amp output anyways so I figured this would be a quick set up and tear down rig for iems or monitor use and fly dates. I will probably invest in a power engine at some point to run with it as well.if I want to use it with a speaker on stage. And yep I'm the same Johnny the did the zwengel stuff. Damn that was like 20 years ago!!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Are you the Johnny El Gatto that used to do Demos and stuff for Carl Zwengel?

I'm not running any Global HPF/LPF.... I usually increase the HPF on my IR block up to 80hz +/- 10hz depending on the IR. For cabs... I really like the cabs from Freman's presets... he's got a killer Vox IR and some great tight sounding 4x12s.
Slight hijack but I loved the Fremen cabs in his Atomic presets. Are you using ones from his Helix preset pack or earlier freebies from the net? I really want to dig up the 2x12 he used on his Atomic stuff but he didn't have a copy and could never seem to find it.

3dognate

Guitar Dave - a lot of places I will run it straight to front of house. I play a lot downtown nashville and sometimes play 2-3 shows a day- almost everyplace isolated or puts speaker baffles on amps so that you can't hear your amp output anyways so I figured this would be a quick set up and tear down rig for iems or monitor use and fly dates. I will probably invest in a power engine at some point to run with it as well.if I want to use it with a speaker on stage. And yep I'm the same Johnny the did the zwengel stuff. Damn that was like 20 years ago!!
Nate I used to play in Bloomington at six strings with a few bands. Fun times !
Awesome... I used to frequent all the same amp building forums as Carl (Ampage / AX84 / etc)... I remember you because you are a hell of a fine player. Awesome ping me if you get back up this way I'll pop over and catch you... I do open mic at Six Strings when breaking in new projects... :) small world

3dognate

Slight hijack but I loved the Fremen cabs in his Atomic presets. Are you using ones from his Helix preset pack or earlier freebies from the net? I really want to dig up the 2x12 he used on his Atomic stuff but he didn't have a copy and could never seem to find it.
From The Helix Preset pack... (worth the $)

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
Congratulations, on making the decision!

As Guitardave mentions, your supporting gear (Power Amp, Powered Monitors, Guitar Amp as a Powered Cab, etc.) dramatically affect the outcome. As do the guitars and pickups you feed into the Helix.

If you do not already own an IR Library, you may want to resolve the rest of your hardware system before diving into the IR pool. There are many available for free evaluation, lots of enthusiastic uses of each of the leading brands, and many who are getting satisfactory results from Helix's onboard cabs (once they're dialed in).

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
I'd give it a shot with the stock Helix cabs and see how you like them. Most of the more "studio" ready cab mixes don't give me the type of "cut" that I like for live work. Take that opinion with a grain of salt - I've downloaded a few but haven't gotten around to trying 3rd party IR's as the stock stuff seems to be working well for me.

I'd definitely use the Global EQ function to do your adjustments vs. the individual patches - much easier to tune to the different PA system/room. If you have a good soundman, or are controlling your own PA then using the EQ on the PA is the easiest. On my own PA (with no subs running) I typically use a very slight high cut and a small mid-bump, I don't find the need to cut the bass.

Oh, and the Tech 21 Power Engine works great as a monitor even when running full cab/speaker models. If the band is really loud then it doesn't quite hold up to my good tube amps - but that doesn't sound like your application.

burningyen

For live playing I tend to keep the hi cut somewhere around 6kHz and sometimes have the lo cut either off or somewhere around 100Hz.
Before you buy any AC30 IRs, check out the factory AC30 Fawn Normal preset in the latest firmware. It seriously rocks.
Very much agree. The stock "dual" (multi-miked) AC30 cabs are excellent.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Use your ears.

but imho, the cabs in there are a great place to start. I don't use global for HP and LP, I would only use global to fix a bad sounding room. I program my patches with a HP and LP on the cabinet. Generally somewhere between 80 and 100 on the low end and about 6K - 8K on the high end. I might program it so that the high end is all the way up when clean and way down at 4 to 6 K when dirty, too.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Use your ears.

but imho, the cabs in there are a great place to start. I don't use global for HP and LP, I would only use global to fix a bad sounding room. I program my patches with a HP and LP on the cabinet. Generally somewhere between 80 and 100 on the low end and about 6K - 8K on the high end. I might program it so that the high end is all the way up when clean and way down at 4 to 6 K when dirty, too.
Curious as to why you don't use Global HP and LP filters?

kleydj13

From experience Iike a high pass at 100hz ish. I may do a low pass at 13k to 15k. I prefer to set it by ear too. I like it to be at a point where it isn't making a drastic change, but you end up noticing you cut in the mix a little better.

For IRs I used freebies for a while. I took a jump and bought a 2x12 MAR 66 pack from Ownhammer and completely quit searching. It has a range of speakers, so I can cover different tones and styles - but it also has mixes so I can quickly narrow it down after that. They sound D and feel excellent. I notice a massive difference compared to older generations stock cabs with units like the Zoom G3. With better modelers like the Amplifire or axe fx I notice I tweak less. They just work for me. To the point where I haven't even considered trying anything else.

3dognate

2 reasons.

1. Global EQ is designed more for fixing EQ in a specific situation, not for shaping your tone. and

2. I run acoustic, electric and synth-ey schmaltz through Helix simultaneously.
I am running Guitar and Bass... so I also need full frequency range globally.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
2 reasons.

1. Global EQ is designed more for fixing EQ in a specific situation, not for shaping your tone. and

2. I run acoustic, electric and synth-ey schmaltz through Helix simultaneously.
Makes sense. I always thought of the hp and LP filters as more of a standard settings typically applied by the PA and not varying all that much by preset. So dialing out anything below 100k as it conflicts with the bass amp.

Last edited:

mbetter

I just use the freebie AC30 IR that cabir.eu put out some time ago. I'll probably buy the whole pack when it comes out, but I'm pretty happy at the moment with just the one IR.

I have that MAR66 pack that kleydj13 is talking about and I use bits and pieces of it for rock stuff. I don't particularly care for the Alnico Blue / Silvers in that pack, but I like the G65 stuff and a couple others. I actually prefer their free pack for metal. Tried a 3sigma pack - 65 amps, I think - didn't care for it at all.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom