So I ordered an Eleven Rack.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by clintmartin, Jul 4, 2014.

1. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I'm torn on speakers. I had some K12's and wasn't to impressed. I'm thinking Alto TS112A, Power Engine 60 or a Fender Mustang III. Any advice?

2. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

Congrats! Not much speaker advice here. I'll just spit out the usual CLR recommendation that's possibly too expensive for your budget. :aok

3. singtall

singtall Member

if you are talking factory presets, then no speaker will fix the tone. the factory presets suck.

many of us on a budget use the Alto Truesonic monitors. if you have the cash, get some EV's.

4. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins?

if you didn't like the K12's, then you will really hate the TS112a's...

The CLR's are pretty much "the thing"..and hardly more than a K12..

I actually liked the K10 better than the K12, but I LOVED my Atomics..wish I could have kept them..

Good luck and check out http://www.elevenrackpresets.com and grab Singtall's AMAZING preset patch pack for the 11R..!

5. wcfields

wcfields Member

EV ZLX12P's are the best speakers for the money IMO. They sound really good and are hard to beat for $300 or $400....

6. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I didn't hate the K12's...they had a little too much of something. Maybe it was the HD500 or the combination of the two. I replaced them with a DT50 and that is a great amp. I did hear later that the K10 were better than the 12's...who knows. I would have loved a Kemper and a CLR, but I didn't have the cash. Recording was the main thing, I'm good there, but I would like to be able to play live if I had to. I've been looking and reading a lot about the Alto's, power engines and EV's. I could probably get one EV now and another later if they are that good. I can get two Alto's. The Fender Mustang III V2 keeps coming to mind because...it may be good enough alone. I've never played through one so, it could be a box of digital junk too, but my 11rack into the effects loop would basically be the same speakers as the power engine. I guess the question is...Are the EV's good enough? Are the better than the other options?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  7. svl

svl Supporting Member

EV ZLX12P and a Logidy Epsi. The latter is even more important than the former (great IRs are the most important part of the equation in a modeler IMO), but basically for around $550 you will have a killer rig.

Oh, and don't forget the Ownhammer 412 IR packs (Modern & Vintage). So toss another $40 on your total...

8. svl

svl Supporting Member

And I love the EVs- have a pair of the ZLX12Ps and a pair of the ELX112s. Can not beat the EV ZLX12P for the dollar.

9. wcfields

wcfields Member

yes, they are great speakers. I use them with my Kemper and am very happy. l've had a set of Alto's before and the EV's are much better....and not that much more expensive.

10. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

The Epsi does look cool. I believe there is about to be a lot more choices for this kind of thing. I use Redwirez with S-Gear and that's a nice sounding VST for sure.
    I think the power engine is overpriced. The Mustang looks like the best option of those two. I'm leaning towards the EV's. $100 more than the Alto's isn't a huge risk, but I haven't heard either. I would like to eventually get two...which rules out the Atomics. I can't spend two grand on speakers.

11. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I feel I'm being swayed towards the EV's...I do have some time to think things over and maybe save up a few more bucks. I would like to get a case for the 11 and a amp stand to hold it. I'll be passing by a Guitar Center Sunday...I may have to stop and look at the EVs.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  12. mojah

mojah Member

I didn't think my pod hd500 sounded good through ev zlx 12's. I have a pair I use as monitors in our rehearsal space. Program material sounds pretty good and they are inexpensive. Bring your 11r to GC and try all they have out. I thought the EV LiveX sounded pretty good when I went last year. The zlx's weren't out. I ended up with a JBL prx.

13. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Which JBL prx did you get? The 4 or the 7? Big price difference between those. I'm also still thinking about the Altos. Mainly because of the price.

14. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

I have Alto TS112As myself. Can't beat the price and they sound pretty darn good.

15. mojah

mojah Member

Mine is the older 612 prx. There is s utube video of a guy playing a bunch of frfr's. It was posted here last year in a big frfr thread. Nothing beats trying them out for yourself. I liked the ev live x 12 too. I thought the qsc 12 had a harsh upper midrange. The zlx are vheap

16. mojah

mojah Member

I hate posting from my phone.... Zlx may work for u. A lot of people like them, I don't....

17. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I missed out on the EV I was looking at. I'm now trying to get two of the Alto's for the price of one EV. Manufacture refurbished for $199 each, with warranty.

18. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I use a K10 and really like it. Just realize that the whole FRFR thing is about a flat EQ, and the 11R has enough EQ for you to get ANY quality speaker to sound good. So, I would buy what's lightweight and you can get a good deal on...

19. clintmartin

clintmartin Member