So I ordered Wizz PAF clones for my R8...

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
Should have them next week. A lot of positive info out there on these clones and thought I'd give them a try. I don't think I've read one review that didn't think these pickups nailed the real thing. Strange that they come from Croatia and not some ex-gibson employee's son from the U.S. With some elaborate cool history/story. Either way Wizz seems to have gotten it right. Throbak 101+ I would like to try also. Can't wait to compare these to the custombucker. :D

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
Oh....how well do the new Wizz rings match up to 2014 historic spec plastics?

Ape Factory

Had them in my R9 and did not like them and found them harsh overall and lacking in sustain. But I've never been fond of any A4 magnet pickup. Too brittle for me. YMMV. The rings are quite a bit brighter than the stock plastics.

dwk302

I have a set and I think they're great. Nice punchy bridge, warm, clear neck.
A4 have kind of a "dry" sound, but I never found these pickups to be harsh or lack sustain. The rings are a little lighter in color than stock Gibson plastics. I think you'll be very happy with these pickups.

sws1

I have them. They definitely have their own PAF sound. Which I like, because I don't want all my guitars to sound the same. The guitar with the Wizz is the one which I'd play if I wanted more of a Zep tone, or a bit more rocking.

Tim Plains

Had them in my R9 and did not like them and found them harsh overall and lacking in sustain. But I've never been fond of any A4 magnet pickup. Too brittle for me. YMMV. The rings are quite a bit brighter than the stock plastics.
Same here. I bought an A4 set for my SG and hated them. Alex later sent me A2 magnets. I love them now and they will never come out of that guitar.