So, I plugged straight into my amp...recommend me a buffer!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ChrisBuckGuitar, Mar 22, 2015.

1. ChrisBuckGuitar

ChrisBuckGuitar Member

Hey,

So, I made the mistake yesterday of AB-ing the clean tone straight into my amp vs through my board. It wasn't quite as bad as I'd dreaded (no "blanket over the amp" etc) but there was a definite vibrance and dynamic responsiveness that is getting lost somewhere. I use my EP Booster and JHS Klone as 'always on' type pedals which help recapture some of the lost tone, but after experiencing what it could sound like, I'm wondering what I'm missing out on...

In a perfect world, I would have bought a PT3 instead of the PT2 and my board would run through a looper. It'd save me dancing about and would negate the need for any more buffers. C'est la vie!

So, my question...what buffer(s) (if any) and where to place them? Or, is there any rearranging of the pedals I could do that would utilise the existing buffers better? I'm a little reticent to do that though because I'm more than happy with how each pedal sounds. In fact, I'm very happy with my tone! There's just a germ that's been planted now that it could be better...

My signal chain is:

Guitar - SM Fuzz, TU-3, JHS Klone, Marshall BB1, Vent II, Sweet Sound Ultra Vibe II, Movall Octapuzz, Boss BD-2, TS808, Mooer Trelicopter, Zendrive, Mooer Chorus, Tim, Katana, Empress TD, Catalinbread Echorec, HOF Mini, EP Booster - Amp

[​IMG]

2. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

You already have three buffers. Another one isn't going to do anything.

3. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I'd get a true bypass loop switcher and get the pedals you aren't using out of the signal chain. I'd also get a little buffer at the very front end of your chain - guitar > buffer > 1st effect.

4. ChrisBuckGuitar

ChrisBuckGuitar Member

Fair point, mmolteratx. Short of the two Boss pedals and the TS though, the majority of the board is True Bypass. In fact, after the 808, there's 9 pedals that are all TB, with some decent lengths of cables to connect them...could nothing be placed around there?

5. sws2h

sws2h Supporting Member

To start, try a buffered pedal like your TU-2 as the first pedal in your chain, and if you another buffered pedal experiment by placing it at the end of your chain. Or you might be a good candidate for a looper

6. ChrisBuckGuitar

ChrisBuckGuitar Member

I actually had the TU-3 at the start of the chain for the longest time, but was never totally satisfied with the SM Fuzz which was directly after it. Switched them around...fat creamy fuzz for days! Turns out that the SM is incredibly sensitive to buffers, hence the ballache of wiring the board so that the SM Fuzz is first in line but not at the far right of the board, thus letting me use the external power output on the tuner for my wah.

Life was simpler when all I had was a wah pedal...

7. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

If you want the sound you get straight into the amp, lose all the buffers. If your highs are attenuated without the buffers, lower your cable capacitance by switching your cables to ones that are low capacitance.

Lots of buffer threads! Not enough low capacitance cable threads!

8. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

The best thing you could get would be a Sarno steel guitar black box. This is a tube buffer. Run it first in your chain and you'll love the feel and sound of it. It's big though, so you'd have to put other pedals on top of it.

9. ibegofyou

ibegofyou Member

The black box is friggin magic.

But, you already have a buffer right after your first fuzz. Another isn't going to do anything. Turn the treble up on your amp and get nice cables if you don't already have em. Or maybe get a different buffer with a voicing that you like and put it before the first buffered pedal in your chain. The BJFE, Klon, Cornish and Analogman buffers are all highly praised around here. My personal favorite is the BJFE buffer.

10. reade

reade Member

I mounted a Suhr buffer under my Pedaltrain Jr. it also allows a split so I use that to feed the tuner that way the tuner can be on all the time.

11. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Excuse me, Is that a Mooer I see? :nono

Rid yourself of that rabble at once and if you must have something occupy its space, let it be an Altoids tin.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  12. ChrisBuckGuitar

ChrisBuckGuitar Member

Odd you should mention that; I hadn't heard of one until yesterday when I stumbled across Premier Guitar's Rig Rundown with Brendan Bayliss. He's a big fan as well. I'll have to check it out. Good shout!

Haha. I take it you're not a fan? :p Admittedly, the chorus is expendable but I wouldn't even consider another Tremolo pedal, especially for the money. Great sounding pedal and incredibly versatile with the bias control. Seems like there's a lot of snobbery around cheaper pedals these days. I've never quite understood the Boss aversion some people seem to have either...

13. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

I have a Sarno Black Box. Highly recommended if you go all true bypass

Really the best answer is low capacitance/shorter cables

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well theoretically, once your signals buffered, cable length ect become moot or at least less important.

But 1 janky patch cable is all it takes to bring your tone to its knees.

I would also suggest you look into a true bypass looper, looking at your board, I'd say a two loop one.

1st thing you'll do is get looper set it up guitar>cable>Tuner(buffer)>cable>looper>cable>amp. Should sound like what you want, if not look at one of those those patch cables or try the other boss as a buffer if Tu tuner is a problem, basically your building a test bed that sounds like you want it to sound, even if you have to use your EP boost set to on/unity as a buffer, get a known good sounding path to amp. Also try your fuzz in a un-buffered loop set up.

Next, next take all your other patch cables and use them to jumper a loop and test them looking for those janky cables, test them all and weed out any that suck your tone down. Being able to A/B those cables while playing is perfect for finding them. After a buffer any good 6" or 12" cable should zero effect on your tone.

Know that you've got good guitar and post board cables, a buffer and 3 good patch cables, set down and put one pedal at a time in loop and A/B them, find ones that effect your tone in a unfavorable way when their bypassed. This will tell you which ones you either need to weed out or place in the true bypass looper when your done.

Yes it's a lot of work but it's way better than throwing darts in a dark room. Plus after your done you now have a TB looper to use where you need it.

15. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Is the Echorec in true bypass mode? If not, its preamp is always on and definitely colors your tone (the way a real Echorec would).

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

I will echoe those saying adding yet another buffe won't help. You either have a bad patch cable(s) or some of the. Yeas in some of those pedals (original Marshall, vent?) might be bad enough that your buffers can't overcome it. But you may simply need to turn your amp up a but to match the level you achieve going straight in, and that might solve things. Or you may not like the sound of the Echorec preamp that's a good call. If it's set for trails, the first thing I'd do is set it to TBP and see if that solves things. Might save you a lot of trouble.

Another way to look at it is: does it really matter? You were happy enough with your tone. You have a lot of pedals. Presumably beapcause you like what they do. Maybe that small trade-off opinion theoretical "tone" is actually worth it to you.

17. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

18. Tragic Avenue

Tragic Avenue Supporting Member

19 pedals all in a roll is a lot of connections, true bypass or not, buffers or not, there will be tone differences from straight in.

19. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Looks like you already have a few buffered pedals on your board. I'm not sure adding another buffer will do anything.

20. jm9239

jm9239 Member

As much as you probably don't want to hear it, I'd honestly start by thinning out your pedal board. That's a lot of pedals, even by TGP standards.