• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

so I posted my new tele on FB tele tuesday

is it a tele

• Total voters

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
What does the maker call it? Call it that and enjoy it. : )

I bet this cat would have dug it; and his Number 1 wasn't a "Tele" either, per se:

John K.

Silver Supporting Member
You can call it whatever you want, but the real foolishness is trying to change someone's mind about it.
I'm on the fence. If you had humbucker pickups but a different body shape, you wouldn't call it a Les Paul, for example. I think the Tele pickup layout is so unique though, and not often seen on different guitar models, that it still invokes that Tele vibe even if some things are off.

Howzaboppin

Looking at the NAMM pictures on the Vola website, looks like they have in the works a bass with the same Tele-ish body shape, and it looks awesome. Link

(BTW, I voted yes -- chrome bridge plate = Telecaster in my book.)

wire-n-wood

Silver Supporting Member
I like it.

Obviously not a Fender Telecaster with a capital T.
But if the discussion includes non-Fender variants on the design, then YES, definitely a tele.
Pickup configuration, bridge, natural colour with black pickguard, control panel... all very tele.
The body shape, single cutaway and headstock are all suggestive of a tele.

I like it.

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Silver Supporting Member
Come on... it's not a tele

If that's a tele then a Novo T is a Tele.

Last edited:

Bucksears

Silver Supporting Member
Read the first page, then stopped.

Just my $.02:

- no, it’s not a Telecaster. Those are made by Fender.
- is it close enough to have all of the essential INGREDIENTS of a Tele? Yes, IMO.
- it’s closer to being a Tele than anything else.
- haven’t heard it, but have all ideas it sounds like a Telecaster.
- it looks VERY cool
- if Prince had played one at the SB halftime show, chances are, people would have dug it

I think the OP should be happy with it (if he’s looking for a Tele sound), but accept that it’s a Tele-inspired guitar.

mikendzel

It isn't a FENDER TELECASTER, but so what?! It looks awesome!!

'Tele Tuesday' is about spreading joy. You clearly weren't trying to deride the spirit of the cause, for anyone to have a problem with your post is childish.

Guitarworks

I'd say it’s Telecaster-inspired but not a Telecaster. It’s just too different from the original recipe, which allows room for a few small updates, but not nearly the kind of changes that guitar has.

I would think you’d be reluctant to pass that off as a Telecaster. Most people who create a design of their own would much rather downplay, if not flat out deny, any similarities it may have to a more famous and more common design, for fear of being labeled unoriginal and uninspired.

C-4

OP,
I like the shape and flair of your new T-type.
As for Facebook...never mind, I'd probably get banned for saying it, but they can't ban me for thinking it!

Don't waste your time with Facebook.
People go there to tell everyone else how great they are, show off, or whatever...MEH!

You don't need to be letting the world know your personal business. Look what happened to you when you just tried to share your new T-type with players who might be able to relate!

Bankston

While it's not a Telecaster, it's certainly not a fiddle either.
It's not literally an axe either and you're not literally a skydog.

Geez, you people.

Somebody on TGP always has to correct somebody else even when there's no reason to do so.

Last edited:

DCross

Acoustic Jazz & Electric Folk
Silver Supporting Member
Tele style more than any other type. I voted yes.

Reactions: C-4

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
Talking about Fender and their stretching things... How about the Acoustasonic Telecaster? It has the same body outline and headstock, and that's about it for similarities. Not even the first time they visited this well, they did a fully acoustic "Telecaster" in the 00s. So, those are Telecasters because Fender tells us they are. If they built this it would be an "alternate universe" tele. But since it's not by Fender, I'm going to stick to my "no" vote.

Trending Topics