So I ran the GSP into a Samson Servo 170

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
And wow... whodathunkit?

I think a clean amp does the GSP more justice than running it into the tube amps I have here.

I think I may buy one of these bad boys. They are dirt cheap too.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Just to add. I find that running the GSP with a Flat Amp in the Wizard makes for the best sound with a straight power amp no matter what cab I use.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
And what I mean by that is it doesnt matter the amp either. If I plug it into my Deering, the flat amp sounds better whether Im pushing a 4 x 12 or 2 x 12. Plug it into the Marshalls and out to whatever cab and it still better using the flat amp.

Choosing the target amp in the GSP just colors the sound too much.

ibanez270

Hey Guy's,
What do mean flat amp ? I don't get that choice in the wizard. I'm running mine power amp to a 212 cab with vintage 30s. I don't really like the sound. Are you plugging into the imput of the amp? And setting the amp flat. How should I setup mine ?Please help?
John

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Guy's,
What do mean flat amp ? I don't get that choice in the wizard. I'm running mine power amp to a 212 cab with vintage 30s. I don't really like the sound. Are you plugging into the imput of the amp? And setting the amp flat. How should I setup mine ?Please help?
John
When you go into the Wizard it allows you to choose what kind of amp your running the GSP into whether SS or Brit Stack or Brit combo or american combo... choose flat amp and be happy. Doesnt matter what amp I run it into, choosing flat amp is the way to go. Everything else colors the presets.

drewl

That is pretty much how I run mine- GSP > Peavey Classic 50/50 > Mesa Recto 2x12 running stereo. Accidentally left it on "mixer" one time when I plugged it back into the power amp, and it sounded like poo.
hah! Ditto, I run mine direct into the PA for acoustic gigs and forgot I had it set up that way the next night running it into my AC30.
It really makes a HUGE difference in the set up of what amp you tell it you're using!

mattball826

i agree. ss power amps are transparent, tube guitar power amps are "voice" in their own color. havent tried a modeler in a full range tube power amp. my friend used an old magnavox hi fi stereo with tubes that sounded amazing on his pod.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Hit the edit/select knob, scroll down one to I/O setup, then select 1/4 line output setup. Target input select "power amp" (not amp loop return), then it prompts you "target system", your choices are flat amp, solid state power, tube power.

This is done without using the Wizard.
Beautiful! Thanks SteveO.

FYI.. I just bought a Mosvalve MV-962 for $150 which included shipping. I guess SS power amp for that but I wont be sure till I run it. Im gonna wire up the 4 x 12 cab into two 4 ohm pairs this weekend.

Yeah I know some of the pitfalls of this amp since I had one long ago. You know like the scratchy pots. But, Im gonna set it and forget it and adjust the overall vol with the GSP front volume knob.

LickmyGear138

FYI.. I just bought a Mosvalve MV-962 for $150 which included shipping. I guess SS power amp for that but I wont be sure till I run it. Im gonna wire up the 4 x 12 cab into two 4 ohm pairs this weekend.

Yeah I know some of the pitfalls of this amp since I had one long ago. You know like the scratchy pots. But, Im gonna set it and forget it and adjust the overall vol with the GSP front volume knob.
i've always set up my gsp1101 direct to the mixer, but all this talk makes me want to try out the mosvalve mv-962. I'll post a picture and a review in the next day or so.

LickmyGear138

i've always set up my gsp1101 direct to the mixer, but all this talk makes me want to try out the mosvalve mv-962. I'll post a picture and a review in the next day or so.

frayo

Hi Dickie,

How was the Mosvalve Mv-962 with the GSP? I'm asking coz I'm thinking of getting one...for the same setup.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Hi Dickie,

How was the Mosvalve Mv-962 with the GSP? I'm asking coz I'm thinking of getting one...for the same setup.
It totally kills! No really... into a 4 x 12 cab and its just the king tone!

I love it. Ive been running alot direct but had to break out the whole rig recently and I had been telling the band how great it was. Well, I broke it out and sure enough everyone was in agreement. It totally kills.

Check that Reverb Nation link below and listen to the first tune in the playlist "This Dusty Road" all guitars done with the GSP.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks! Sounds nice.

Were those recorded direct or through the Mosvalve?
Thanks! Those were direct. Marshall JCM 900 model with the TSMod pedal model. Really though there isnt much difference other than with the Mosvalve its bigger and more in your face. Of course thats just my opinion.

I recorded some tracks with the full rig and then scrapped it all and just went direct as its easier to set up and the sound isnt much different. That way I can just walk in and go...

frayo

So based on what you said...there is no point in playing through a power amp+cab if one is not playing outdoors or with a band? I have a pair of studio monitors at home. I'm not playing out yet...and the band is well, hibernating as of the moment. So a power amp isn't really necessary, correct?

Have you tried the GSP with a tube power amp? And if you did what's the difference when it is run through an SS power amp like the Mosvalve?

Trending Topics