So I sat thru about 40 min. of Arcade Fire on Austin City Limits.....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by reddgeetarzan, Dec 27, 2009.

1. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

I honestly wanted to pull my hair out- I tried.......I REALLY tried to "get it", after all they ARE on Austin City Limits, right???!!!

I get the "artsy" thing, and I dig the way they all flip around on stage and change instruments (many of them are multi-instrumentalists)........but after hearing the same dirging beats and monotonous songs literally shoved into my listening dis-pleasure, I could take no more.

I'm NOT here to bash them (my opinions are just that....please take them at face value)- I just want to "attempt" to understand how this band is on Austin City Limits, let alone is a "critically acclaimed" band?!?!? WHAT am I NOT getting here??? I honestly couldn't even make it thru an hour of it.......but I honestly gave it the old "college try"......honestly, I did!!!

They come off a bit pretentious to me- am I wrong for feeling that way??

Please......someone who actually digs this stuff, tell me what I'm missing- and don't give me the same old line of crap...."ya like it or ya don't" - some people DO like it, I just want to gain an understanding of it so I can possibly turn a waisted 40 minutes of my life into something a bit more meaningful. :dunno

2. BBender

BBender Member

Well....checked the pregame 20 sec. clip of them before the actual show...immediately said...NO F'in WAY AM I WATCHING THAT CRAP!!!

3. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Must have been a great performance. I'll have to dig it up.

4. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Do you have to qualify why you like something? I like them and find them interesting and enjoyable to listen to, for whatever reason. I don't think my trying to explain why I enjoy their music will do anything to change your mind.

Move on.

Nice attitude. If you make music I hope it is treated with more respect.

For the record, I'm not a huge Arcade Fire fan, but do like their music. I just don't like to see the word "crap" thrown around in reference to someone's hard artistic work.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

[​IMG]
    Don't worry about old rockers, they won't understand our young people music. :p

6. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Sucks to be you... Kings of Leon just started on ACL here. Should be good. :)

7. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I went & watched some.. not my thing but not totally bad either.. it's an artistic statement and I thought they pulled it off pretty good.. they're theater & drama like old prog-rock bands only in a more organic way..

Some things are acquired taste, sometimes it takes a second listen, sometimes it's just not your cup of tea.

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

they're boring and tiring to me.

every once in a while some indie band will have the right combination of looks, talent, and luck to rise a bit in profile. then the media/record execs inexplicably annoint them the saviors of their genre/hometown/generation/etc. they will then be given way too much exposure and way too many second chances after crappy albums.

that's my take on it.

9. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Or maybe they work really hard and are good at what they do, have some luck (which is a combination of timing and readiness), and lots of people enjoy their music and buy their records. It is possible.

I do agree that the hype machine (Pitchfork, etc) plays a part sometimes, but there are bands out there that work for years developing their audience and then break through to greater exposure. I've seen it happen first hand a number of times.

10. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

ditto that.

to the OP:
    i like them; you don't.
    one of us doesn't know any better than the other.
    neither of us is "hip", neither un-"hip".

so, why worry?
    why wanna be explained or persuaded into liking it?
    didja ever have the misfortune to have someone ask you why you don't love them?

it's music, is all; music & the certain energies it conveys.
    to some.
    music & energies that don't float yer boat.

for years, a friend tried desperately to have explained to her why i play what i play;
    it didn't really matter --- she didn't dig it:
    she thought, somewhere in her head, that she was (somehow) supposed to understand
    both how & why the music is-what-it-is.

so, i said to her, one fine day:
    "we're friends right? we like each other, respect each other?"

she said:
    "of course!"

i said:
    "so, don't worry about it..... really! come to the gigs if ya wanna,
    or don't: it's ok! just respect me enough to understand that i don't make musical decisions lightly,
    whether or not you dig, feel or "understand" any of it
    --- it's a purely internal thing for me ---
    cool?"

she said:
    "yes; i'm good with that."

so: 35 yrs later, we're still good friends; very good friends.
    her musical tastes have changed, over the yrs
    --- they now fully include the music that i make, myself ---
    but not through any force of social, intellectual or verbal "persuasions", whatsoever.

the way it's sposedta be:
    figure it out for yerself.
    if you think you need to change, then make a more concerted effort to change,
    or simply accept yerself as you now are, and..... move on.
    ┬┐no?

anyways, check out one of the many, related offshoot bands, like:
    torngat.

dt / spltrcl

11. puckhead

puckhead Member

well, based on this thread I have set the PVR for it :aok

12. spjoker

spjoker Member

maybe it's like what they say about art... "good art begins with a bad taste" lol
    I don't know :)

13. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

Anything that creates discussion like this is worth checking out, right?

Personal observation:
    The art that gets some serious reaction, both extremely positive and equally unfavorable, is usually vastly more interesting to me than something that everyone seems to say "yeah, that's pretty good" or "not bad".

I can only hope to make a record someday that incites such discussion.

14. splatt

here's a nice AF performance, "wake up", w/a friend of mine joining in the band:

and, a simple tune from a recent torngat recording:

dt / spltrcl

15. reddgeetarzan

This is what I was asking for......I did, afterall sit thru as much as I could- I was pretty obvious in the fact that I'm TRYING to understand.... I have friends that I respect their musical tastes that really dig 'em, so I figured I'd give it a go 'round.

I like ALL kinds of music- and I didn't try to make light of anyone's sensibilities FOR liking them, did I??? I'd like to know why YOU like them....don't give me the song and dance about......I like them......you don't- that's just too easy and its reall a cop out to my question at hand.

I explained my first impression- it could be right, it could be wrong.....I'm not asking you to persuade or dissuade me in either direction, I just want to know what people honestly think of them who DO like them.....is that so difficult?? I'm not trying to get into etherel debates on what is or isn't good music- I'm honestly trying to gain an insight into a band I EXPECTED to like, but first impressions aren't necessarily lasting impressions. What's so difficult about answering the question of what it is about that YOU like about them?? Its not calling anyone out here.....

I guess I'm a bit more open minded than the "move on" comment puts upon me- I'm at least giving it a shot.

16. mondaythursday

mondaythursday Senior Member

I think I would dig their music a lot more if there was no singing.

17. reddgeetarzan

What I saw tonight, I'm assuming was mostly from their latest release- Neon Church (or something close to that!)

18. splatt

and, another (quite different, unrelated) band that's kind of a "community":
    sleepytime gorilla museum:

dt / spltrcl

19. reddgeetarzan

Splatt- the stuff you pulled up isn't bad.....

I guess I'm expecting too much....I did not know what to expect- in my head I expected something akin to Death Cab for Cutie.....but what I heard was extremely dirging, dark, monotonous, simple, layered to extremes- it was a bit much for the senses first time 'round, I suppose.

Thanks for sharing some actual insight!!! THIS is exactly what I'm talkin' about here folks.

20. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

You are not missing anything. They are an overhyped band that will die a natural death. For any attempt at an artistic endeavor, there is bound to be a few people who will like it, and a few others who think it changed their life. That's normal, and that's all there is to it. I think their music sucks so bad, but I don't worry too much why others like it.