So, I take it my Musictoyz thread got nuked...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DanR, Jan 22, 2006.

1. DanR

DanR Member

Appartently, the negativity and hostility continued and the thread got nuked. I'm sorry for re-opening what turned out to be a can of worms. Honestly, my intentions were pure. I just wanted to post an objective description of how my particular transaction was going, which is still in progress. And at the moment, everything appears to be going fine.

To the mods: If the transaction ultimately does go well, should I post or just keep my mouth (computer keyboard) shut???

DanR

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Dan,

You can post anything you want to as long as it fits in the common sense mature code of conduct as outlined in the FAQ.

3. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I think that it is quite fair to post positive experiences with any company. Based on the heat of that thread, it would be a good thing to report on something gone right!

4. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Im still not clear on what all the hub bub was about. The rules are not hard to find. Everyone needs to listen to some BeeGees. I saw the video for How deep is your love tonight and it made me think about Andy Gibb. The poor guy didnt ever get to experience boutique pedals, just a 335 and a lip sync track. Listen to some BeeGees tonight fellow pedal soldiers, therin lies the answers.

TGP still rules.

5. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Call me Mr. Happy, but if I don't like a piece of gear, I just don't talk about it.
    Sure, I might say it didn't work for me, but honestly, what doesn't work for me might be exactly what someone else was looking for in something.

I'm not advocating being banal or lithium about it all, but I do say one should think carefully before you speak, keep the above YMMV wisdom in mind.
    Remember that some builder most likely put a lot of time, effort and critical listening into their work, so think about how your comments may affect that builder's business & rep. in the future.

6. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

DanR

i hope your musictoyz experience is a positive, life-affirming one.

(cuz I want to order something from there too!):BEER

- GC

7. thebot

thebot Member

That's a good attitude. I just think it's important that people give honest feedback, whether good or bad, as long as it's in some kind of context. 'This dealer sucks' doesn't really add anything unless there's some kind of explanation why that is. Tone is so subjective that as you say something that makes you not like a pedal / dealer may be just what someone else is looking for.

I do think it's a good idea to give good feedback when customer service has been better than expected though. There's so much corporate balls today and the easiest way to cut costs is to let your customer service fall away that it makes a difference now when you get someone who appears interested in your business, not just your money. So I would like to salute Matamp (amps obviously), Alfonso Hermida (Zendrive etc.) and Jeff (High Order Pickups) who've all given me really good customer service recently.

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I think critique is healthy as long as it doesn't get personal. It is for the benefit of all customers to talk about the possible shortcomings of a product. Only my 0.02 cents (euro)

9. whitehall

whitehall Member

To quote Dorothy Parker ......If you don't hav anything nice to say about someone.....come sit next to me.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

For me. Unless there is some fraud (you pay and don't receive any product or money back, or you don't get what you ordered) I am really careful about rapping the pedal makers.

I've had one bad experience (not SO bad, but severe rudeness, and unhelpful) from one pedal maker. I've had negative contact with a couple, and some were just weird, not necessarily negative, but you felt like you were dealing with someone that could "go off" any minute.

In all those cases, I assume maybe the person is having a bad day, or is the kind of mad scientist genius that it takes sometimes to lock themselves up in a room and play with components, and electronics (I'm a closet one myself). I assume, MAYBE it was just this once.

Occasionally I have seen a thread on someone I have dealt with when someone else has started it. If I had experiences and the person treated me well, or even just okay, I will always mention it. The one person I had a problem with, even when I see that name, I figure enough folk have said it. I may have broken this pattern once or twice (I'm not 100% consistent), but mainly I think also, unless warning about a flaky (and then you better be sure it is a pattern and not just a one-time problem...this is their livelihoods) or fraudulent seller which I think IS justified if true, I like to stay out of it.

On pedals....opinions matter, but it is smart to temper any negative writings about one, if you know it could be useful to someone else.
    We get attached to these gizmos, and lots of folks get too bombastic about it. I almost feel like I am cheating on my wife, when I write "love the X pedal, but just got the Y and the X is off the board for a while"

I get the guilts.

I'll shut up now.

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

+ 1 Teddy Boy.

I think it's really important to share all of your experiences with the pedals, not just the happy ones. Ok, there's a lot of ways to do this. I think if you're having a problem it's good that you mention what you're disliking, what gear you use and what you're trying to achieve. This way the info could be usefull for other people. Ofcourse saying "pedal X sucks" doesnt do anybody any good.

For example if I say pedal X didnt work for me with guitar Y and amp A then a fellow gear pager can say that he liked the pedal with amp B and guitar Z and so on. This way we can learn something, by discussing the gear and how it interacts with other gear..

A forum where everything is always wonderfull might be nice, but it wouldnt be that constructive and informative... People have different tastes and different gear.. A database where different experiences are shared is what atleast I'm looking for.

12. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

As a general rule of thumb, "A bad word-of mouth travels faster than a good word-of-mouth." So, I try to heap on the praise when justified, but very careful when it comes to criticism.

13. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

True. And it's good to be careful with criticism.. I think criticism should be given in very detailed manner.. It's only this way it's useful.

I think pedal makers could be very grateful for constructive criticism. Sean just wrote somewhere that he likes to read TGP 'cause that way he knows what can be done better and what customers want/need.. or something along those lines, I dont remember word to word.

It's bit the same as when you're playing with your band and most of your friends just tell it was great or okay even if you sucked. Then you really value the friends who can be direct with you and tell what should be done better.. even if it hurts to hear at first. Not the greatest analogy ever, but still you see the point.

14. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Cubba, as you are a moderator at Musictoyz' Forum, and based upon what went on there yesterday , I found your post slightly "interesting". I am NOT trying to start a flame war or controversy.

As a smart man once said: "if we agreed about everything, it would only be a matter of tea parties". If all we discuss is the good then we are missing half the boat.

15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

+1. Very well put.

16. MrSage

MrSage Member

That's not entirely true in the world of boutique pedals.

How often have you seen people buying the latest pedal fad based on nothing other than hype? All too often...

I think in the world of boutique pedals good word-of-mouth travels faster, and people tend to come down hard on critics.

I could probably rattle off 5 people off the top of my head that would result in a public lynching if someone were to say something critical of them...And I'm not even talking about saying something negative. Just something constructively critical about their business practices or their product or whatever.

Customers are fiercely loyal in this market, and good word of mouth drives sales for the small businesses.

17. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Well to be brief, I DO have a life and spent Sunday with my family and not bogged down in cyber-hell. Of course if one of us was around, none of that would've went on as it did. We try to stay focused on the gear over there and have had our share of battles in doing so (sounds like TGP!).

You can choose news what travels faster or slower, it's all up to the individual.
    I just choose not to slam stuff, I don't think it does anyone any good.

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

That's a good policy. Some people love to flounce and if they read "tried a Klon and it was useless to me" they interpret it as a personal attack against them. Then, as we know, the claws come out.

The non-optional reaction to being hurt is to get angry. Lots of bruised egos have been on display at this page for the past few months.

Where's the pain coming from? Doubt it's coming from a pedal.

19. BJF

BJF Member

Hi jpagey,
    What could you be implying?
    Regarding the thread at Toyz , you can read the moderator's post on last
    page.
    I believe also moderators have a life and cannot be everywhere at all
    times.....
    Sometimes faces and threads grow long

I can say this, the good thing about Toyz is that Ted has almost all makes of
    pedals et.c. All can ofcourse not be in stock at all times and one may
    not wonder that
    things may not always be glitchfree. From the years I have worked with
    Ted, I have the impression that he is a stand up guy.

Also I'd look upon mentioning gear much like Cubba 65- most often I find that application and visions are the keys and these may not always be mine

Best
    BJ

" I saw a film today, oh boy, the English Army had just won the
    war..."The Beatles

20. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Hi BJF,

I was not implying anything. I wish I was that subtle! I talked to Cubba today and I have no qualms or beef with him, Teddy, George or MT Forum.(nor do I have any qualms or beef with you!:) )