So I Tried a Real Klon Centaur Today

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hipfan49, Jul 2, 2019.

1. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I compared an early gold Centaur and the KTR extensively, as well as many of the usual Klones. I kept the OG gold. The KTR is very close, but it's a bit different. Maybe it's the fact that the Centaur is 20+ years old or just the variance in the tolerances of the individual components in that particular pedal. Whatever it is, it's the BEST Klon or Klon-type I've had (between 2 silver, 2 gold, and many Klones). It just adds a small amount of foundation to the bottom of my tone that I love.

2. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Me Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    hippieboy and rwijaya like this.
  3. el capitan

el capitan Member

Thanks for clarifying guys, that the
    KTR or MO or Centura or Archer or Tumnus or JHS modded SF or RYRA or Partspipe or Merman is definitely THE ‘best’ Klon klone!
    :bonk

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Not that its needed... but another vote for the Mythical Overdrive.

I know I've said this several times but here goes again... I only bought the MO on a whim to see what the Klon fuss was about. Didn't expect it to be one of my favorite pedals and at home I almost always have it on boosting my Barber Direct Drive.

Those two pedals into my Carol Ann Custom-67 (JTM50) is my main tone these days. And I have an amazing Carol Ann Tucana 3 that can put out all the gain needs without pedals... Honestly digging the pedals through the clean amp more these days.

rjtwangs likes this.
  5. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

I've played a few original Centaurs in the past and currently own a first run KTR, stock Soul Food and Centura.

Without having an original to compare it to recently, the main take away for me is that the Centura maintains a round, bouncy, low end even as you advance the Treble knob that my KTR and Soul Food just don't have. I can get them all super close but there's something audibly fatter with the Centura than the other two and if we're splitting hairs, then the Centura gets my vote. I went ahead and ordered a Chinese Centaur replica enclosure and damnit and if that's what I need to feel like I own a real Klon, so be it.

It's very interesting to read about early runs of the KTR sounding not great but current runs sounding better. I'll have to explore that more. My KTR without a doubt has a bit more of a brittle top end to it that's always bummed me out a bit.

Andres6and8 likes this.
  6. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I am pretty sure they sound close enough for me. After all, I am liking the MXR Sugar Drive. And I can side by side it with a KTR and a 90s Centaur. Main point is as always, demos that put the Centaur in front are subjecting the downstream pedal to the Centaur buffer all the time. That tends to affect the sound of the downstream pedal however slightly. For the true tone mavens, these comparisons should always use a loop or other means to take the Centaur out of the circuit.

If it is voiced to sound like a Centaur? Close your eyes, turn those knobs and listen. It is likely all in there. The versions that are not voiced to sound like a Centaur, and some definitely are inspired-by revisions, then it will sound a little different. And you may like it better...or not.

hunter

7. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

I've owned an original silver Klon. Nice pedal but nothing that you can't get today. The hype is b.s.

Maggie_O, rwijaya and SkydogFan81 like this.
  8. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

OP, I encourage you to try a Ceriatone Centura at some point, even if you settle on a KTR. Here's what I posted on another thread some time ago about a double-blind experiment my friend and I did to compare klones:

9. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

Get a Centura or a KTR - then you'll be there. I sold my Klon after I A/B'd it with a couple KTR's

10. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I've been using a Klon Centaur since 1999. When the KTR was released I purchased two. Get the KTR, end of story!

hippieboy likes this.
  11. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I haven't tried my switch yet! Next up

12. mikendzel

mikendzel Member

You may want to investigate the amp instead, and/or Mark Bartel who founded Tone King, designed all of the Tone King amps, and now has a new company Bartel Amplifiers. His new design is on the "revolutionary" side of the amp spectrum! He's a KILLER dude as well!!!

muku likes this.
  13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

The MO and KTR are, to my ears and feel, as close to Klons I've heard/played as can be hoped for.

rjtwangs likes this.
  14. tubeinmyhead

tubeinmyhead Member

I enjoy that we dissect the finest attributes of a pedal but omit the big picture.... what guitar into what amp, listened to in what room at what volume....

Sometimes a pedal gets to the point, sometimes it don't. That's why I have to much gear....:facepalm

15. electrolyte

electrolyte Silver Supporting Member

My favorite thing about the KTR is the disclaimer on the top. Says it all.

16. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I've had plenty of Klones, including Archer Ikon, Stud, PCE AF, Centura, KTR...
    Settled with the KTR and see no reason to revisit Klone territory again.

DV52 and hippieboy like this.
  17. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Totally true. I know Finnegan thinks they sound like crap with the buffer off, but I think that's only true if you have a pretty small pedalboard, also depends on where you place it... I used to not know what buffers were, then I was afraid of them, now I've gotten them figured out (mostly), and I've learned they're real tone savers if they're good, and in the right spot. But the KTR buffer is great and you'll definitely notice a difference when you switch it off.

jimijimmyjeffy and pickaguitar like this.
  18. Miroslav L

Miroslav L Member

Well...you posting this video pretty much convinced me.
    I just picked up a JSH/Soul Food "Meat & 3" for $85! :cool:

The tonal options with that modified pedal cover a lot of ground, and the "stock" Klon position sounds to me just like the Klon in the video.
    Not really sure what spending another $2915 could add to that...
    ...other than maybe some ego. ;)

duality likes this.
  19. gtr777

gtr777 Member

Happy Centura user here. I A/B'd it with my friends Centaur and it was remarkably close.

20. Joe Tone

Joe Tone Silver Supporting Member

I have an Aluminum Falcon Overdrive which seems to be close to the Centaur I had, close enough for me nonetheless.
    This one: