So I tried the EJ strat...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teddy boy, Mar 23, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

Just wandered to the local guitar store today to pick up my 2005 Fender AV'62 Reissue Stratocaster, which now, after other earlier problems, had one of the neck tightening screws come of its thread. Actually it was a factory fault, I'd never taken the neck off, and once I did, I noticed the thread had come undone completely and sawdust came out of the screwhole. But anyway, I was happy to get my strat back until...

I noticed they had a new strat in. First I thought it was an AV'57RI until I had a closer look and realised it had no string tree. I immedietly recognised what this White Blonde beauty. As I picked it up to check the neck plate I realised how light the instrument was. Wow, atleast 2 pounds less than my '62RI. I started to feel enamoured as the smell of fresh nitro entered my nostrils. Is this nitro sweeter than on my strat? Sure smelled good. And the White Blonde finish! I could clearly see all the detail on the wood. Thin as April ice in Finland...

I headed to the amp booth straight away although I noticed a pile of fresh Frontlines lying next to the guitar stand. I must have been drunk with excitement. The first EJ strat I had ever seen or held. I plugged the beaut into the bright channel of a Vibrolux with controls at noon and volume at ten. Set on the front pickup the sound was just as a stratty, nice bottom and chirpy highs, as I expected but the feel of the guitar was different in a very pleasant manor. The neck radius, for a Gibby player like me, felt much more cozy. It was a real joy to play.

I could easily manage gigs and studio with this guitar, especially as toggling through the pickup switch produced nice strong strat tones that were perfectly balanced with each other. The problem with strats that I've played earlier is that the pickups seem to be out of balance, i.e. if I set the bridge pickup for a nice rock tone, the neck is going to be muddy and dull. That makes live playing difficult for me. I'm used to playing rhythm on the bridge pickup, and switch to neck for some leads and cleaner parts. But no problems with muddiness here. With that guitar and amp, I realised that I may not even need anything else than this combination, no pedals or other guitars. The EJ straight into the Vibrolux was magic!

Anyway, I couldn't put this guitar down, but in the end I had to. A metalhead was eyeing the Jacksons in the booth and I had to make myself scarce. The man was getting cross! As I left I noticed the case for the guitar too. A nice blonde tolex case for a blonde guitar. A perfect match!

Dang... I dig that strat!

How do you like the EJ's?

2. prsflame

prsflame Member

I'm still in the Honeymoon phase with mine, as I've only owned it for three weeks. I bought it at GuitarCenter of all places, but I ended up getting a great deal. I'm blown away by the tone, pickups, and nice lightweight of the guitar. The fretwork, as well as the setup is top notch. I also love the chunky neck profile.

The stickiness on the neck seems to have work off by now after several hours of playing/gigging. I'm hoping to pick up another one in Candy Apple Red soon.

Fender really hit a home run with this model.

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Sure did! A few modern features on a classic design. Looks great! There's no "sore eye-features" such as a two-point trem or a roller nut.

I don't know why everybody complains about the stickiness of the necks. I seem to have either got used to it or then the finish on the neck has cured a bit and become less sticky.

4. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Love mine so far. Only issue has been the middle pickup height. Stock, it was too loud relative to the other pickups.

Light as a feather, that's for sure.

I A/B'd it with a 60 NOS CS and that middle pickup really makes a difference. In the EJ, its a little more nasty- not as smooth and glassy as on the CS.

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I'd really like to try out the EJ strat. I have a '57 reissue in white blonde and could have chosen the EJ a year ago when I was shopping for the strat... If the EJ does all it's said to do, it seems to be the perfect strat.. aaargh!

6. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

tried one at GC recently. Loved it, but something about the neck made me not want to spend the dough. It was simply not chunky enough for my tastes. I would have loved an Eric Clapton shaped neck on there for sure. Still, a high quality strat to say the least!

7. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

mojocaster, so how big is the neck then? Can you compare it to the V of the '57 reissue, which is quite substantial?

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

The V is not quite as pronounced as on the '57 reissue.

9. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I love mine. It's probably the only strat I'll ever have, I can't find anything this one is weak at. I play Lesters mainly, but my EJ is the sweetest singing strat I've ever played. I don't even have the urge to play another, this one's perfect for me.

10. bullet69

bullet69 Member

Love mine. It's the perfect blend of vintage and modern.

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

About the neck being sticky, I've never found this to be a problem with my '57 reissue, which has nitro finish.. It might have been a bit sticky in the beginning, but it went away with playing, maybe 10 hours of solid playing and the "problem" was gone. I dont understand why so many people worry and moan about it and take steel wool to the neck, I couldnt do it.. After all it's something that's fixed by playing.

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm by no means a Fender expert... just joined the ranks as a Fender owner (custom tele). But man, that EJ strat is pretty stinkin cool! I love the vintage tint of the maple neck, nice touch. The tone and playability is great! I'd like one myself.

13. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have no complaints about my EJ. I've taken it to gigs with 2 other guitars and find that I'll play the entire night, only tuning it up between sets.

14. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Bingo. I suppose you could call it a "soft V", although it is even softer than the one on my US Buddy Guy strat.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely axe, just not what I was led to expect from the reviews I had read. Note that I am being wicked picky here, but considering that this is a $1600 guitar, picky is justified imho :)

15. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I played one this afternoon and it's an excellent sounding Strat. The neck felt good shapewise, but it seemed really glopped up with finish. I much preferred the matte 60th Anniversary model for feel, even though it didn't sound as nice as the EJ.

16. Rama

Rama Member

It's the best strat for me and I have played a ton.

I'm on my second one..gave my first away to a friend.

I can't really nail it, but there's some magic there.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and it seems to be that way with every one I've played..like 6 or 7..that consistency is in itself pretty amazing.

17. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Great sounding guitar - especially for a maple board (i love both but am presently on a rosewood board kick), but I've huge hands. I just need a beefier neck....

Fender should consider what it learned from building the EJ line and extend that knowledge to other guitars.

peace,

jb

18. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

7 months with mine! Love it! I read on BAM there might be a RW FB EJ soon!!!

19. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

Just got mine a few weeks ago, and that's a really killer Strat. I was not sure that I would dig the maple board too, but it plays really great.

20. Peterma

Peterma Member

I have never seen such positive feedback on one guitar. This thing must be awesome. I heard that the neck goes from a v to a c shape towards the body of the guitar. Is that accurate?

Peter in MA.