So I um... bought an HC30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steve10358, Feb 5, 2008.

1. steve10358

steve10358 Member

In a typical bout with obsessive compulsive amp disorder... I had to add a new piece to the collection.

Picked up an Early 90's Matchless HC30 from Dave F. It'll be here by this weekend. The jangle will be a perfect match for my Marshalls when we start the new record. I am psyched. Of course, I'll be sure to show off clips and photos in the coming days from the studio (we're spending 3-4 months there). All I know is that when I played this amp last year at Racksystems... it really left a strong impression. This thing has mucho life to it.

[​IMG]

I am really D-U-N. I swear. No more amps.
    S.

2. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

very cool. I've always wanted one of these or a Black Cat 30. I don't have the huge preference of one over the other that some do. I like both.

Just so ya know, I saw a matching 2x12 cab to that head on ebay the other day. Not to tempt you at all. :D I would mind grabbing it myself, but won't.

3. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

It's a classic amp. And to truly hear its full, swirling, 3-D sound, you really ought to get the matching 4-ohm, mismatched-speaker Matchless 2x12 ....

heh heh heh ... congrats.

=K

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Congrats! You're going to really really dig that amp. I have a 94 HC-30 myself. It's truly a special amp!

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I bought a Clubman a week ago, used it on a gig and a couple of the bandmates said it was the best I've sounded. I have no remorse at all for selling my other amps, the delivery of the note and the complexity of the tone are worth it. I think an HC30 might be next but I need to save some coin up first.

6. StevenS

StevenS Member

I hope you like it better than I made out with my Chieftain. I got it off e-bay a few weeks ago and it worked but just had this awful raspy tone. If you picked lightly it wasn't too bad but if you dug in or turned up the gain a bit it just sounded like s@#t. I changed power and pre-amp tubes but nothing helped. It's not very loud either for 40 watts. All this makes me think there's something wrong .
    I was very disappointed to say the least.
    I dropped it in to my tech yesterday. I hope he can find something wrong with it. I was really expecting more out of it.:(

7. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Which one of these Matchless' have the most 'Jangle'.

EP

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life

Man, I had a Chieftain 212 and it was loud as a Howitzer and sounded amazing. I actually sold it after I quit touring constantly because it was TOO loud for even big clubs. Killer AC/DC type crack on the notes.

Hopefully, you can find the problem and get it working like it should be.

Good luck!

9. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Yeah, it definitely sounds like there's something wrong. A friend of mine has a Chieftain combo and its REALLY loud -to the point where he's probably gonna grab a Lightning or something for his smaller gigs and save the Chieftain for outdoor and large venues. While its certainly not a dark amp, I'd never call it raspy.

10. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Make sure you try that baby with an AB/Y switcher and run both channels at the same time.

When I had my Bad Cat Black Cat using both channels was almost life altering. I imagine you'll get the same feeling from the Matchless.

11. nek

nek Member

Many people, myself included, buy Matchless for the first channel. That charm will wear off eventually. Its a good thing. The second channel is why I kept the amplifier.

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

C30 is a classic! really excels at power-pop-rock chording!!

13. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Hmmmm.....running both channels...I haven't tried that on my HC30. Has anyone done this with a C30? What is the sonic effect? What happens?

14. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

To my ears it just had this added depth to the tone. I never played the EF86 channel by itself after that. Plus I could run my delay only infront of the clean channel.

15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Stop fiddling with your amp and just play the damn thing you slacker!;)

16. steve10358

steve10358 Member

Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah, I will def get the matchless cab later... but I can attest that this amp just rules with a greenback cab.

If I hadnt played this exact amp last year at Dave's, I wouldnt have jumped so quick, but it's the chimiest Matchless I've ever played. :)

17. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

Agreed.. Same here.

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Try this:

Guitar -> A/B/Y box

A output -> delay (slight slapback) -> chorus -> 12AX7 channel

B output -> wah -> OD pedal -> EF86 channel

play some rhythm stuff on A only, then A+B (Y) for leads.

GOOD STUFF!!!! :AOK

19. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Looks like us philly guys had the same idea.

20. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip! I don't have delay or chorus, but I get the idea of having separate paths. I'll get around to trying the C30 with an ABY box someday...