So I walk into a shop for a tube amp...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by metropolis_4, Apr 15, 2019.

1. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I had a moment of insanity over the weekend.

I went to an awesome live show of 60s Motown music and started feeling inspired by the gear from that era. I thought to myself "I've got this digital thing covered already, maybe instead of an Axe3 I should invest in a tube amp rig".

Went to a shop today and played about 10 tube amps thinking I'd pick one up.

Well... that totally cured that GAS and made me remember why I love digital gear so much, and why I got rid of tube amps in the first place!

Crisis averted. GAS quenched. Moment of insanity has passed.

On to the Axe3...

pima1234, jm9239, stratzrus and 22 others like this.
  2. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

I had the same experience, multiple times :)

pima1234, otter5555 and aizenx like this.
  3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to need more information.

4. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Did the tube amp cut better in the shop than the digital gear did? lol

I like gear, period. A nice amp set in it's sweet spot is one of the best sounding things on earth! Unfortunately, it's not always the correct tool for the job. Enter digital equipment, which when dialed in, can serve so many purposes well.

Glad your experiment terminated in a conclusive result!

5. Lord N

Lord N Member

6. vick1000

vick1000 Member

You just didn't piss off the people in the shop enough.

7. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I had the same experience last month. Played about 6 different tube amps and almost ended up buying a Katana Artist. That thing sounded soooooo good at modest levels it was crazy and the built in effects were quite acceptable.

8. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Once they both started playing, the digital gear disappeared. ;)

Alex Kenivel, Baba, drlucky and 14 others like this.
  9. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

It's the EMGs talking :D :beer

2HBStrat, beanbass, EarleG and 7 others like this.
  10. dmock66

dmock66 Member

... when I saw the title of the thread I thought it was the opening to a joke - which was going to end with me getting Rick-Rolled! :)

11. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

I'm so used to monitoring everything through FRFR. Tube amps sound weird to me now.

otter5555, tonyhay and metropolis_4 like this.
  12. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

Sure, sure, sure...

But how was the Amp_In_The_Room???

13. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Having been using mostly digital gear live since I got the Axe FX in 2007, I find myself now with lot's of computer software (S-Gear etc) Axe II, Kemper, and Boss GT 1000, but I must say lately have been buying tube amps to use mostly at home and studio, and I've noticed that I enjoy playing the tube amps more and more, I notice I never get tired of the sound of a good tube amp, I can play it for hours, with the digital gear even though I use it live, my ears tend to get tired of the sound, even though they sound pretty nice and accurate.

Gevalt, jens5, JaiRamana and 15 others like this.
  14. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

There were 2-3 amps I played that made me think "yeah, I get it". I can see the raw tone of the amp through its speaker cab just barely edging out digital gear in terms of listening to the amp directly.

I get where guys are coming from when they say they prefer tube amps, or when they talk about wanting to get the sound of an "amp in the room".

But most left me thinking, "this would sound good if only I could adjust ___ just a bit". I'm so used to being able to tweak the response and tone of a digital amp, that I found myself really missing that control when I was using a tube amp. Even the 2-3 that sounded really good to me, I found myself thinking things like "I wish I could change the sag and bias a bit when I switch from the clean to the dirty channel".

Many of the amps I played just felt "meh" to me. Nothing really special. Nothing I couldn't get with any kind of gear.

Some of them I didn't like at all.

In the end, I found 2 that I think I would be happy playing through. But when I started to weight the pros/cons, it just didn't seem worth it. Yeah, they sounded great, but not so great that they justified my list of cons.

I didn't feel like I was getting anything out of them that I couldn't just get with my digital gear. So I started thinking "What's the point?"

Beat me to it! :D

15. Lord N

Lord N Member

I wish i had all Xena episodes remastered in 4k on BluRay.

amigo30, beanbass, lifeson1 and 15 others like this.
  16. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

This happens to me a lot when I look at amps. Nothing ever sounds good in the store. That's why I have so many guitars.

17. dmock66

dmock66 Member

When I picked up my Gibson Les Paul Classic there was a guy playing a vintage 50s Les Paul Junior thru a Morgan AC20. It sounded stupid good - but was LOUD! No way I'd be able to play that loud at home (in a townhouse). It was dynamic - but some of the loud spikes did make me cringe a bit. Yeah, it'd take me about 5 minutes to get used to that - but it's just not practical in my situation. So, where I'd love to have that amp, it makes far more sense for me to play digital stuff thru IEMs.

Mister Natural and mbenigni like this.
  18. ajm1412

ajm1412 Member

Room? He didn't play the amps through an attenuator/cabinet sim and headphones? ;)

amper and coltonius like this.
  19. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

BluRay remasters don't have any soul or mojo. I keep mine on VHS

20. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

Just so we have some reflection of the market, and consumer makeup, tube combos outnumber solid state 2:1 at MF right now.

mody and dmock66 like this.