So I walk into a Store to try an Amp and

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ken, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Ken

Ken Member

I'm told by the owner that I can only play the amp for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes, if I want to spend more time with the amp, it will cost me $100 and that gets me an hour of time with the amp, which is refunded if I end up buying the amp.

He said this is store policy.

He explained to me that he does not want people just using his store as a place to try gear out and then to go online and buy it from an online house. He talked about his customer service etc, etc.

This is the first time I ever heard of this. :huh

Side note:
    The amp was a Suhr OD100SE...I spent about one minute on the amp, on the clean channel. When I switched to channel 2 it started fine and about 5 seconds into playing channel 2, the volume cut out and was useless.

So I guess if they fix the amp and I go back, I have 4 free minutes coming to me :p

2. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

You should contact Suhr and see if they agree with that policy. :mob

3. Julia343

Julia343 Member

He doesn't sell many amps, does he?

4. HammyD

HammyD Member

Just wait for the going out of business sale....!

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Bye.

You want $100 for the priviledge of making YOU money?

6. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Complete rubbish.

His problem isn't the internet, it's his salesmanship.

7. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about him, he will be out of business in no time. +1 on what Suhr thinks of this process.....

8. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

In his defense the number of time wasting strokers these days is off the charts its sometimes VERY frustrating. There has to be a better way. Just curious but was there a chance you would have bought the amp there?

9. rbehm

rbehm Member

Nicely put.....I would of walked immediately and told all my friends about that BS...I mean WTF is the guy (not) thinking.

10. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Was it a case where you just wanted to try the amp, or were you serious about buying?

11. soul1

soul1 Member

this has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard from a music store employee/owner, and I've heard lots.

12. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

Ken, I don't know you so don't take this personally. Were you an interested buyer? Did you communicate with the store personel you were shopping to BUY? Have you bought in that store before or tried stuff and not bought?

If you were a serious buyer I agree that setting an arbitrary 5 minute limit is bogus. It might take longer than that to get comfortable with what the amp can do and you might need to try both buckers and single coils. I know my dealer would never put an arbitrary time limit like that.

OTOH, if you looked broke, or joked about how when you get a job you might come back for this I can see how they might be annoyed that you are burning time on the tubes. And, if you are playing really loud (and not particularly good not all of us are great noodlers - I speak from personal experience of myself:rotflmao) I can see why they might want to stop that.

So, while I agree with the concept of 5 minutes not being enough to really test drive an amp, I liken it to walking into a Ferrari dealer and asking for a test drive wearing your McDonalds uniform. We need to understand why he claimed that policy.

13. turtleheadblues

Good point. I would like to know who the dealer was and listen to his side. I deal with this almost daily and would love to hear both sides. if buying it that day was not a possibility he might not have been out of line at all. I personaly would never expect to tool on a 2k or more amp when there was no chance of me buying it that day. When someone wants to play one I usually simply ask " are you looking to buy one today?" When the stuttering starts is when I politely explain that the gear in question is SOMEONES new gear and I like to keep it as new as possible for them. Things are tight these days and its hard enough to sell new gear let alone when it looks used.

I give everyone alot of rope but if its like the 20th time youve come in to try stuff and or and talk about gear and dont buy they usually get the " What the heck are we doin man? Do you know that I actually sell gear? " speech.

" Im saving up for it" usually is code for " I am going to go tell my internet buds that my Crate V18 was just as good"

14. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

This store owner sucks. I can take a friggin car for a test drive for as long as I want for free but this dickhead is charging money for the right to play an amp? If I was in this guys store and he told me that I would laugh my ass off and promptly wave a wad of cash in his face and tell him that I will spend this money at a store that truly knows what customer service is all about. Off the subject a little, say what you will about Guitar Center, their 30 day return policy is awesome. That is the main reason I buy most of my gear there. Having the option of returning something that you can't seem to bond with is priceless!!

15. turtleheadblues

Test drive that car 10 times and dont buy and see how fast the dealer tells you to skate. I would love to hear from the dealer in question to see what the whole story is. I have very hard time believing that he would impliment this on a first time customer or a known customer, not saying he didnt.

16. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

His dumb ass should realize he too benefits from this activity, if he is marketing his store right.

17. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Total ********. If he's buying that day, next week, next month or not at all. The owner should well expect any prospective buyer to be able to come in and spend some time;15 minutes or so,to see if they feel comfortable with the tone,volume level,etc,etc. If your local car dealer said to you,"You can drive it around the parking lot for 5 minutes but after that I'll need a $500 deposit for wear and tear; but will put that twords the purchase if you buy it". He would be out of business in a matter of weeks. As for test driving the SAME car 10 times; that's a bit different, BUT I'll bet they wouldn't have a problem with it because they're looking at you as a prospective buyer.

18. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I guess my dropping over four large (two guitars, amp, and various other items) in a particular store kinda takes the time limit off taking things in that store for a test spin.

Yeah, I really gouged the owner on a trade in once, and got more than I actually paid for the item, but... because of that instance he made out well in the long run. See the JVM, Alexi, C-1, and other stuff in my sig.

Anyway I've got to get down there and return a couple things I borrowed.

19. turtleheadblues

Providing he was close to home in Ct it was Amity music or Guitar Hanger. I would love to hear from them on the policy and specific deal.

20. turtleheadblues

Thats the thing if you are an actual customer of a store they know you mean business. Repeat looky loos can inflare a high blood pressure condition and cause 5 minute time limits.:BOUNCE