• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

So I want to learn the piano...

Alan Dunn

For the record I think Goulds Goldbergs are the best as well - they are quirky, he sings / mumbles through them and somehow it just works. Somehow he's made a studio recording that feels like it's him on the piano in a room and you hiding in the corner listening to him.

What I'm saying is you need to give it everything. It's not a case of simply saying I'm going to do this without a phenomenal amount of work and dedication.
Yeah I know it will take work. I'm willing to give it a shot--I think I know myself well enough to know that I'm not going to give up.

InkStained

I've been using the Alfred series books for nearly the last two years. I use iPhone apps to work on notation and sight reading. I play about an hour a day, minimum.

I haven't taken lessons from a human teacher yet. I agree a good teacher will save a serious student a lot of time.

Honestly, I play more keys more than guitar these days.

No, because it's guitar oriented. Keyboard Corner forum is better for this.

Books 1 and 2 of this series should give you a decent foundation if you don't want to hire a piano teacher, although honestly a teacher will help you not hurt yourself:

After Book 2 you should feel more confident to take on Well-Tempered Clavier (the first piece is easy anyway) and/or the Inventions. Inventions will require serious patience unless you're unusually gifted - be ready to spend weeks on end practicing one hand at a time before you'll be ready to play with both hands simultaneously.

Last edited:

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a used Roland Fp-30 and have been (trying) to play and really enjoying it tbh

I am doing the Alfred book but honestly really skimming it; im making more progress following youtube tutorials of the songs I do want to play.

My overall goal would be to be serviceable in a some band setting, I think spending my time learning chords, practicing those changes and improvising on passing notes will be a lot more useful to me than the 'classical' route

I just picked up a used Roland Fp-30 and have been (trying) to play and really enjoying it tbh

I am doing the Alfred book but honestly really skimming it; im making more progress following youtube tutorials of the songs I do want to play.

My overall goal would be to be serviceable in a some band setting, I think spending my time learning chords, practicing those changes and improvising on passing notes will be a lot more useful to me than the 'classical' route
I've been taking lessons for a few weeks now and I love it. I figure at this stage it's just a matter of a acquiring basic skills on the piano, especially reading and simple technique like scale fingering and hand independence. My reading skills have shot through the roof which makes me so happy--it's just a matter of application, it really is, but it's so hard to practice it on the guitar.
I get my rock fix on guitar so my ultimate goal on piano is Bach, but I want to be able play stuff out of the Great American Songbook too--I think that's what an upright is really for.

Last edited:
I am into Piano playing for about a year now, no teacher just basic scales and chords from youtube and about 1-2 hours playing everyday. I focus on "fun" and am patient for things to develop of what they sure do.
I sounded like a church organist for quite a while, but there has been getting some swing into my playing eventually after about
5 months into it.

It is great how both instruments - guitar and piano - compliment each other in terms of musical development.

Aquiring the Piano has surely speedened up my learning process.
The Piano really opened up my ears.

final goal is free playing in most to any key - just give me four more years.

I have a sweet Yamaha upright Piano, it roars like a lion.
It is super touch sensitive, what I consider most important.

:beer

I like this guy's Piano playing - and the singing of course.

Trending Topics