• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

So I want to quit my day job and be a full-time pro musician....

guitarmook

People really think Music is harder than it is.

That’s their issue. Not mine. Having the balls to take what you believe to the stage will always be separates the men from the little boys.

I will not respond to this anymore.
I’m not even going to look at it.

Why should I take advice from someone who is still trying to make it, no one here has done what I’m trying to do and as I said I’m not in a hurry, it’s a slow process.

But honestly if you doubt my guitar playing you just haven’t listened to enough of it. I doubt they listened to it with open mind. And they don’t get that these are all about the mistakes. The coolest parts are when unexpected things happen. And I definitely lock into grooves. The lead playing in to going for a tight sound often.

I think people assume I never played in a band even but actually I’ve been playing in bands albeit failed bands a good amount of my life. I even have a bass gig in central NY coming up in an old band I used to play guitar and actually taught everyone else in the band how to play except the keyboardist who had piano lesson as a kids.

But he’s covering all my expenses to play bass.. why would he do that?? Cuz our bassists all gave it up and he knows that of all the people that I’m the only that actually knows how to play bass. So I think I can keep time if I’m being asked to do bass gigs.

And my loop jams have sections in them where I start and stop my looper 3 to 4 times in a Improv all perfect loops all stoped perfect too .... absolutely impossible without good time. Do you really think that is just luck. Or I try these many times in a row.

And really weed .... I’ll be smoking that until I die. It’s pretty much legal now, shrooms are on their way too. I don’t trip much anymore but with substances like that becoming acceptable, open mindedness is sure to follow.
It’s already starting actually.

I will respond to support at this point. To everyone else don’t judge if you haven’t listened for at least an hour. Lol

"La La La La La! I Can't Hear You! La La La La La!"

"I'm only going to listen to praise" is no way to ever learn anything. Good Luck with that.

Oriondk

That’s their issue. Not mine. Having the balls to take what you believe to the stage will always be separates the men from the little boys.

Why should I take advice from someone who is still trying to make it, no one here has done what I’m trying to do and as I said I’m not in a hurry, it’s a slow process.

But honestly if you doubt my guitar playing you just haven’t listened to enough of it. I doubt they listened to it with open mind. And they don’t get that these are all about the mistakes. The coolest parts are when unexpected things happen. And I definitely lock into grooves. The lead playing in to going for a tight sound often.

I think people assume I never played in a band even but actually I’ve been playing in bands albeit failed bands a good amount of my life. I even have a bass gig in central NY coming up in an old band I used to play guitar and actually taught everyone else in the band how to play except the keyboardist who had piano lesson as a kids.

But he’s covering all my expenses to play bass.. why would he do that?? Cuz our bassists all gave it up and he knows that of all the people that I’m the only that actually knows how to play bass. So I think I can keep time if I’m being asked to do bass gigs.

And my loop jams have sections in them where I start and stop my looper 3 to 4 times in a Improv all perfect loops all stoped perfect too .... absolutely impossible without good time. Do you really think that is just luck. Or I try these many times in a row.

And really weed .... I’ll be smoking that until I die. It’s pretty much legal now, shrooms are on their way too. I don’t trip much anymore but with substances like that becoming acceptable, open mindedness is sure to follow.

I will respond to support at this point. To everyone else don’t judge if you haven’t listened for at least an hour. Lol
Wow! First off, I have listened to everything you’ve posted in this thread. I’ve seen some improvement in what your doing since you started the thread, but you’re still not even close to where you need to be. I know there have been some snide remarks made in here but most of the posts have been supportive and a lot of great advice has been forthcoming from a lot of people who are experienced and are making and have made good money with music.
You really need to step back, get out of your own head and pay attention. You dismiss criticism with a “they don’t understand what I’m doing, it’s over their head attitude.” Nothing you’re doing is over anyone’s head. It’s mindless noodling. I’ve seen you come up with some pretty decent ideas, but you don’t develop them. You just wander through your music aimlessly throwing in a bunch of effects (way too many effects, imho). On some of your videos you pay more attention to adding effects than actually playing the music. Maybe that’s why you call it experimental. All I can say is good luck with making a living with that. You’re no Jerry Garcia.
My advice, which don’t want anyway, is structured practice, lessons, learn some actual songs or write your own, but at least have a beginning, development section, and end. And learn to take criticism or you’ll never improve. And really you should be your own worst critic.
I wish you luck.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Great post! I have several friends that went the cruise ship route and have lived life to the fullest... but they are both SINGLE the entire time and have been on the move (literally, all around the world) for a decade +. My one really close friend left the cruise ship scene and ended up in Vegas and I had a chance to spend a lot of time with him hanging while I was out there on an IT conference.
He is simple FANTASTIC on the bass now... he plays standup, electric, acoustic, etc. he is very personable, very good looking, now in his 40's and still looks like a late 20's guy. He's played some very big shows in Vegas and has had stars like Maroon 5 sit in with his band (which is usually all subs, all the time).
He still lives VERY LEAN but he is making it work for him and enjoying life doing what he want to do which is PLAY.
But, he has taught music (at the high school level as well, not just personal lessons).
He gigs 6-8 times a week, every week and only takes 1-2 weeks off a year (usually vacation paid for by family as reunion).
He plays many gigs literally back to back; he has a standing 1 1/2 hour gig, 6 nights a week with the "Rat Pack" (impersonators backed by killer full 12+ piece band)
Then has something like 20 minutes to get to his 2nd gig which is all covers at some popular tourist night spots.
Sometimes he will play two sets at the first place, then relieve the bassist in the bar next door and vice versa LOL.
So you also need to GET into the musician community and become well know to gig.

If you cannot hustle, network and BE HUMBLE as an aspiring musician you might as well record at home, post on FB and maybe you'll be Bierber'd.

Not sure if you're serious.

But assuming you are:

1. You need to assess the market in your area and see what kind of music it supports - is it all Country, Modern Country, Classic Rock, EDM, etc. You need to assess where the money is if you want to make money - are bar bands making any more than 100 a man per gig? Who makes the big money. Usually it's cover bands playing weddings and corporate events.

2. Once you've determined where the success is, you need to go check out all the bands doing that, introduce yourself, get to know them, and so on. You need to either learn all their tunes, or learn their style. Let them know you are a guitarist and are available and can handle the gig if they're looking for a rhythm guitar, or a sub, etc.

3. You need to be realistic about this. The current poverty level for a single person is 12k a year (13k in Hawaii). Since there are 12 months in a year, you need to make 1,000 a month. If you were just to play weekends and a couple of week gigs - so let's say 10 gigs a month, you'd need to make $100 a gig. That's completely do-able. But it's poverty level. That's just to stay alive - that doesn't cover things like taxes, healthcare, repairs, gear maintenance and upkeep, vehicle maintenance and upkeep, etc. IOW, it's unrealistic to work at this level. Now, if you could get a gig as a house band, playing say, 5 nights a week, you could make 2k a month. That's a little better. If you can make more money, great. But getting a gig in a house band these days is pretty tough.

4. You may need to move. Can you? Can you afford to? There are more opportunities in larger metropolitan areas and usually more money, but, there's also more competition so you need to be better.

5. You may need to play what you don't want to play. Are you willing to do that?

6. The idea of joining a band that tours in a broken down van and plays clubs for nothing (or pays to play) might sound like a fun adventure if you're 20 - and can be - but it's unsustainable in most cases.

7. Take someone like Dave Grohl - he's obviously talented in his own right and even probably a better guitarist and singer and even songwriter (well, maybe) than Cobain. But he knew a good thing when he saw it. If you do not have "star quality" yourself, you need to hook up with someone who does. Keith Richards probably wouldn't have done so well without Mick. Same with Townshend and Daltry, or Page and Plant, or Sambora and Bon Jovi. I'm straight but I look at Jon Bon Jovi and go "that's one handsome man, I can see why girls (and some guys) like him". That's what sells. If you don't have "it", you need to be tight with someone who does.

8. You have to WORK. Hard. It's not all fun and games, it's not an excuse to get out of "real" work. Professional musicians who are successful may make lots of money, but they are also worked to death by their contracts (literally in some cases). The constant touring is just mind-numbingly tiresome. If you or your bandmates are more interested in getting high than making music, then unless you've got something the record companies want, or the venues want, you're not going to do very well. You can NOT hang around with losers. If the bass player shows up and can't play the part, or hasn't learned it, you need to axe them and find someone who will. Or you need to leave and find people who are truly dedicated as you. Being a "serious" musician is not about writing and practicing 14 hours a day. There's a lot more to it than that. And if you don't get it, you need to be with people who do.

9. You need to be prompt, prepared, pleasant, and ideally, pretty (or have a "look" or "brand" the client or band wants). You need to learn that it may not matter how technical you play, but how well you play simple parts repeatedly. You need to be able to cover the gig, but there's very few paying gigs out there in most regions for shredder guitarists or shredder jazzers. You need to be able to play (and stomach playing) Mustang Sally, or Macarena, or whatever gets paid gigs in your area. If you've got a happening originals scene, great, but usually, younger people who think their scene is happening aren't really clued in to what's really going on.

10. You may need to take another **** job (or better job hopefully) to be able to support yourself while you find a band, get your songlist together, or whatever.

This is a GREAT video series to watch. You may not want to be a Cruise ship musician specifically, but it does show you want kind of skill level you need to be to get the kind of job this man has, and what it's all about. I've seen others from other touring musicians and it's very valuable insight.

FiestaRed

You started this thread. You asked the question.

Don't ask the question unless you're ready to hear the answer

You started this thread. You asked the question.

Don't ask the question unless you're ready to hear the answer
He’s posting these videos as though they are some kind of pinnacle of improvisation, that none of us would be able to understand. When in fact it’s just mindless, hesitant noodling, with poor timing and technique and a lack of self awareness.

I really don’t know what is going on with him. I’m worried for him.

Oriondk

He’s posting these videos as though they are some kind of pinnacle of improvisation, that none of us would be able to understand. When in fact it’s just mindless, hesitant noodling, with poor timing and technique and a lack of self awareness.

I really don’t know what is going on with him. I’m worried for him.
I’m a little worried too. It’s either lack of self-awareness, misplaced self-confidence, or he’s just delusional. In either case he needs to lay of the wacky weed, clear his head and really take a critical listen to the videos he’s posting.

MickeyJi

I too thought I was a hotshot player until I was asked to play a full setlist of popular tunes for a paying audience. I found out I sucked and that somehow believing I was the next Pat Metheny was a colossal error of judgment on my part.

DustyRhodesJr

To the OP,

I was the one who suggested YouTube and laid out a reasonable plan to develop
a following and earn $ down the line.

You took the advice and immediately put up some videos-

I just got a chance to watch them, and I have to say, you gotta take those down
and start all over.

They are blurry and rambling and no one will be able to make sense of them.

You have to up your game for YouTube- put your camera on a stand, and make
sure the lighting is good and that you are dressed professionally.

You think Pete Thorn or Paul Davids or other YouTube guys are going to have
their shirts off? No, they are not.

The competition on YouTube for views is fierce, and you have to be prepared-
you can't just put up aimless, random videos and get people to watch.

Last edited:

DIECHEATO

Read Don Passman's book. Just because you have gear, know how to play, write stuff, etc. is not enough. Every single person I know that have your qualification has failed. It is a business. The people I know who had talent to do it and worked as sideman and, I only know one right now like that, usually played with a number of bands already. This dude let dumb life style get in the way of succeeding in the "biz." I know some very talented folks who could have made it but, they did not have the business know how and hustle it takes to make it in the music business. Even many famous people got burned in the music biz. You will not make it just because you love it. I rather have you hate me now than have it bite you in the bottom later. I wish the OP the best in the world along with the best of luck.

Emigre

I find it funny that posting clips is “embarrassing” but posting 40 pages of love/hate relics is not.

Is JZ losing his marbles or are the insane running the asylum?

I may be crazy but what could be more worthwhile to getting some gear, than playing the sh#t out of it and posting the music on a guitar forum?

Good/bad whatever, as a baseline that must be one of the most worthwhile efforts on a guitar forum.

I say go for it JZ... but you already know that ;)

(Edit: typo, thx BJ;))

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I find it funny that posting clips is “embarrassing” but posting 40 pages of love/hate relics is not.

Is JD losing his marbles or are the insane running the asylum?

I may be crazy but what could be more worthwhile to getting some gear, than playing the sh#t out of it and posting the music on a guitar forum?

Good/bad whatever, as a baseline that must be one of the most worthwhile efforts on a gear forum.

I say go for it JD... but you already know that ;)
Very few people post up clips here.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom