So I was talking to my neighbor about EVH, and he tells me he has an old EVH guitar under the bed...

And man is it a looker!! He's letting me borrow it and here it is:

My neighbor is a super great guy and is a casual drummer. He loves VH as much as me or anybody who grew up in this era. He told me he bought this guitar second-hand, on a whim back in the early-mid 90's and since he's not a player, it sits in its case. Literally sitting in its case for decades. I told him I'd love to hear it through my rig and I'd be happy to change strings, polish it up, set the action, etc.

I'll admit, I love EVH, but only really got to know his guitars up to 1984 and didn't really get familiar with EBMM, Peavy, or EVH Wolfgangs. I've always associated EVH with strat shapes/partscasters, etc., so never really took an interest or researched any of his guitar post-1984. Initial impression after getting this one polished, cleaned, re-strung, and action adjusted: Man this neck is SOOOOO perfect. What a great feel, insane figuring, and it's so nicely worn in (from the factory I presume) feeling. Just so perfect. The pickups are bright and hot, but clean up quite well. Great for Drop Dead Legs. The pickup selector takes some getting used to, as the throw is very slight. The trem is great, dive-only, and the resonance of the guitar is brilliant. Man, did I mention how nice the neck feels?!? Very balanced and comfortable to play instrument.

My neighbor told me that he believes purple from the factory had some problems as a lot of owners noted theirs fading, and I see a bit of that on the headstock towards the signature and it's darker by the floyd retainer bar. I looked at sold prices on these and they're all over the place, so hard to gauge. I know right now, EVH prices are peaking in the last week for obvious reasons. Any way, my neighbor is letting me borrow the guitar for as long as I want as he says that somebody needs to play it! I'm happy to be a good neighbor and help out!!

Comments

Man, what a beauty and great neighbor to lend it to you. Love the figuring on the body and neck. I had a couple of these back when they came out and they are nothing short of fabulous.

That is a time capsule piece right there. Love it!

Oh man, that's one of my dream guitars. Absolutely gorgeous.
This verbatim. :beer
Adding on to this pile.
Yep, that's one (purple flame/quilt EBMM EVH) that I haven't even put on my wish list because of how rare they are. Closest I got was a purple quilt Axis back in 2001, which I sold 3yrs later due to unemployment; the finish on mine was WAY darker - could barely see the figuring unless it was in bright-ish light.

I was lusting after one ever since I saw Eddie on the cover of GW sporting one:

OP here. Thanks for the feedback. What do you think this guitar would fetch on the market today? I’ll be happy to pass it along to my neighbor, as I’m pretty sure he’d be pleased to know all this great feedback!

And man is it a looker!! He's letting me borrow it and here it is:

My neighbor is a super great guy and is a casual drummer. He loves VH as much as me or anybody who grew up in this era. He told me he bought this guitar second-hand, on a whim back in the early-mid 90's and since he's not a player, it sits in its case. Literally sitting in its case for decades. I told him I'd love to hear it through my rig and I'd be happy to change strings, polish it up, set the action, etc.

I'll admit, I love EVH, but only really got to know his guitars up to 1984 and didn't really get familiar with EBMM, Peavy, or EVH Wolfgangs. I've always associated EVH with strat shapes/partscasters, etc., so never really took an interest or researched any of his guitar post-1984. Initial impression after getting this one polished, cleaned, re-strung, and action adjusted: Man this neck is SOOOOO perfect. What a great feel, insane figuring, and it's so nicely worn in (from the factory I presume) feeling. Just so perfect. The pickups are bright and hot, but clean up quite well. Great for Drop Dead Legs. The pickup selector takes some getting used to, as the throw is very slight. The trem is great, dive-only, and the resonance of the guitar is brilliant. Man, did I mention how nice the neck feels?!? Very balanced and comfortable to play instrument.

My neighbor told me that he believes purple from the factory had some problems as a lot of owners noted theirs fading, and I see a bit of that on the headstock towards the signature and it's darker by the floyd retainer bar. I looked at sold prices on these and they're all over the place, so hard to gauge. I know right now, EVH prices are peaking in the last week for obvious reasons. Any way, my neighbor is letting me borrow the guitar for as long as I want as he says that somebody needs to play it! I'm happy to be a good neighbor and help out!!

no kidding about the neck. in 1998 i had just moved for a job and found the yellowed burst one like this in a store where i moved to. it was used, and barely at that. price tag was $2200 then so i had to pass and yeah, within a week or two it was gone. it played and sounded great........too bad for me. i have the wolf stealth evh now and it's very good as well. the original ebmm van halen like you have are very good :munch

local guitar store by me has a new old stock teal quilt ebmm evh as well as a new old stock American Peavey Wolfgang special In the amber flamed top. I always wanted a Peavey Wolfgang and it is even tougher to resist with EVH passing.
Is this store in NJ?
There's a shop near me that has an NOS Peavey Wolfgang Special and has on original EBMM EVH, but I don't know if that one is NOS.

I walked into Cameron Guitars in Edmonton back in the day and they had just received their first preorder shipment of EBBM EVH's and had the cases open to view. Every color, and they were spectacular! All were pre-sold. If I remember correctly they were $1899.00 Canadian.

Love that beauty. On every place on the web but here I am Axisplayer. I spent 17 years playing one. Regret ever selling it. Mine was red but purple looks better. I will get another one I hope. Mine when new was around $1200 and they have gone up just a little in 20+ years. Being an EVH and not an Axis makes it really special.

Trending Topics