So I was talking to my neighbor about EVH, and he tells me he has an old EVH guitar under the bed...

And man is it a looker!! He's letting me borrow it and here it is:

My neighbor is a super great guy and is a casual drummer. He loves VH as much as me or anybody who grew up in this era. He told me he bought this guitar second-hand, on a whim back in the early-mid 90's and since he's not a player, it sits in its case. Literally sitting in its case for decades. I told him I'd love to hear it through my rig and I'd be happy to change strings, polish it up, set the action, etc.

I'll admit, I love EVH, but only really got to know his guitars up to 1984 and didn't really get familiar with EBMM, Peavy, or EVH Wolfgangs. I've always associated EVH with strat shapes/partscasters, etc., so never really took an interest or researched any of his guitar post-1984. Initial impression after getting this one polished, cleaned, re-strung, and action adjusted: Man this neck is SOOOOO perfect. What a great feel, insane figuring, and it's so nicely worn in (from the factory I presume) feeling. Just so perfect. The pickups are bright and hot, but clean up quite well. Great for Drop Dead Legs. The pickup selector takes some getting used to, as the throw is very slight. The trem is great, dive-only, and the resonance of the guitar is brilliant. Man, did I mention how nice the neck feels?!? Very balanced and comfortable to play instrument.

My neighbor told me that he believes purple from the factory had some problems as a lot of owners noted theirs fading, and I see a bit of that on the headstock towards the signature and it's darker by the floyd retainer bar. I looked at sold prices on these and they're all over the place, so hard to gauge. I know right now, EVH prices are peaking in the last week for obvious reasons. Any way, my neighbor is letting me borrow the guitar for as long as I want as he says that somebody needs to play it! I'm happy to be a good neighbor and help out!!

Comments

HOT!

I really, really dig that one. I generally don't leave guitars in cases, but that one is better off for it, having avoided the drastic UV fade!

As others have said, the guitar is worth more in the case than out and being played - an unfaded purple would go for mint prices even before the untimely and unfortunate death of Eddie himself. I'd recommend getting it serviced and neck adjusted accordingly and putting it back in the case. There are countless others you can grab that wouldn't reduce in value anywhere near as quick the more it is played as this color option.

The hands down best necks I’ve ever played were two guitars I tried in succession at a guitar show maybe twenty years ago - they were a ‘52 Reissue and a similar looking EVH (supposedly dimensionally modelled on Ed’s actual worn-in neck).

I was a "little" tempted to order an Axis in the last couple of days until I saw that they had a 10" radius.

I've owned amber, faded purple and pink. The ones I kept and will never ever sell are blue and sunburst. These guitars are so awesome. But they are light-sensitive.

My first one around 1993. I sold it to a buddy in Germany who still has it, so it's sort of still in the family.

BTW, here's one at the local GC about 5-6 yrs ago that went for $1000 minutes before I got there.

You almost never see purple ones that have held the color like that. I’m still kicking myself for not picking up a nearly mint red one at a guitar show a couple of years ago.

My neighbor is a super great guy and is a casual drummer. He loves VH as much as me or anybody who grew up in this era. He told me he bought this guitar second-hand, on a whim back in the early-mid 90's and since he's not a player, it sits in its case. Literally sitting in its case for decades. I told him I'd love to hear it through my rig and I'd be happy to change strings, polish it up, set the action, etc.

I'll admit, I love EVH, but only really got to know his guitars up to 1984 and didn't really get familiar with EBMM, Peavy, or EVH Wolfgangs. I've always associated EVH with strat shapes/partscasters, etc., so never really took an interest or researched any of his guitar post-1984. Initial impression after getting this one polished, cleaned, re-strung, and action adjusted: Man this neck is SOOOOO perfect. What a great feel, insane figuring, and it's so nicely worn in (from the factory I presume) feeling. Just so perfect. The pickups are bright and hot, but clean up quite well. Great for Drop Dead Legs. The pickup selector takes some getting used to, as the throw is very slight. The trem is great, dive-only, and the resonance of the guitar is brilliant. Man, did I mention how nice the neck feels?!? Very balanced and comfortable to play instrument.

My neighbor told me that he believes purple from the factory had some problems as a lot of owners noted theirs fading, and I see a bit of that on the headstock towards the signature and it's darker by the floyd retainer bar. I looked at sold prices on these and they're all over the place, so hard to gauge. I know right now, EVH prices are peaking in the last week for obvious reasons. Any way, my neighbor is letting me borrow the guitar for as long as I want as he says that somebody needs to play it! I'm happy to be a good neighbor and help out!!

looks like ernie ball was all in on the purps before it became a big thing like it is now. very nice!

"He's letting me borrow it ....."

Yeah, some people are just nice.

I'm not one of them when it comes to loaning my guitar :dunno

Last edited:
I don't know guys, I've had mine since 1994 and trust me, it hasn't been sitting in a case somewhere, it's been played, ALOT! Under bright lights, stage lights, sunlight (even the occasional moonlight!) and the purple hasn't faded one bit! Here it is (next to one of my fur babies, Nala) Over the years I've had it re-fretted with SS wire, changed the Floyd (I still have the original GOTOH, it's pretty beat up though) and, I've had a few PU swaps.

Currently I have a Bareknuckle Holy Diver & Cold Sweat (in the neck) And of course, I still have the original EVH signature Dimarzios as well. The necks on these guitars are so ridiculously comfortable and easy to play that, whenever I pick up anything else, it's a struggle, they're sublime, PERFECT!

OP enjoy that guitar as much as you can, for as long as you can, you are playing something that is truly special. I'm sure that Edward is smiling down on us, thrilled that he was able to leave behind so much happiness, his incredible legacy is everywhere!

Attachments

Purple always was my favorite color, and I was very close to purchase one of MM Wolfgang when they came out.

On another note, I would be scared to play someone else's guitar. Fear to ding it or having it go "missing".

You are brave!

I wonder if he'd want to sell it? Too bad the prices jumped so high now. I thought $2500 was a crazy price back after he quit making them (I paid $1200 for my amber one).

I was a "little" tempted to order an Axis in the last couple of days until I saw that they had a 10" radius.
No way! Mine's gotta be at least a 12... but I have an early one :dunno

I'm going to have to look into this now :waiting Either way, I'm good with a 10 if that's what it is but it sure feels flatter than that. The Wolfbucket neck is what I couldn't bond to, that had to be a 14 or something crazy like that.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trending Topics