So...I won a Silver Jubilee...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rawlins, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Rawlins

Rawlins Member

Hey, I think this is my first post, but after seeing a topic on ebay scams just now I thought I'd share my experience.

I bid on this Silver Jubilee 2558 2x12 a couple of months ago, unfortunately didn't win. Before the auction ended I had asked a couple of technical questions about the amp and had had responces from some guy named Ian who lived in Birmingham (I'm from the UK btw).

After the auction ended I got an e-mail from him saying he wasn't sure the winning bidder was gonna pay and said he'd let me know on tuesday after a week.

I got a plain text e-mail from some guy claiming to be Ian saying if i wanted the amp as the bidder didn't pay. Now obviously it's quite a nice amp and my excitement clouded my logic.

After much talk with this "Ian" he asked me to pay by Western Union.

Suddenly Alarm bells sounded in my head. There was nothing on the listing about payment by WU, and was only via paypal or cheque.

I thought I'd humour him, and after many more e-mails from "Ian" saying how his paypal a had been suspended for security reasons, (which isn't a great excuse to use) he gave me his detail for WU to send the payment to some guy named "Edward" who lived in Glasgow.

After many plain text e-mails and not having a second chance offer come through on ebay, I asked him to contact me through ebay using his account...

Sufficed to say I never got another e-mail from him again...

Then on tuesday I got an e-mail from the real Ian, and went all the way to Birmingham and collected the amp with cash in hand the next day for £600 (my previous last bid). Although we delt outside of ebay because had we delt inside ebay, the price would have been about £720 and he would have recieved another commission charge. Although when he said why dont you come and pick it up with cash in hand, I thought I'd take the chance. Worst thing that would happen would be a wasted trip.

So I had the amp sitting in my kitchen for a week, and I get another two e-mails from two other people offering me the amp. I had a little fun with these people. One was from Italy and quite rude saying that the amp was in Italy cause he was in the middle of a divorce or something.

They both asked for payment via WU and I just made up a payment number for both of them. After driving to the WU office a couple of times with a few different numbers they got discouraged and never contacted me again. :)

I then both sent them e-mail saying what pr*icks they were and attached a picture of me and the amp smiling aswell.

Sorry if it was a bit long...My Apologies, justy thought you might find it interesting.

2. lukeness

lukeness Member

Congrats on the amp. Hope you like it.

3. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

Isn't revenge so sweet. I can just imagine those guys wasting all that time going to the western union to check on payment. I would have strung them a little further and told them that the western union you were using stinks and that you've sent a check by mail heh. Let them stew for a week or two waiting for the postman.

4. Rawlins

Rawlins Member

Yeah, They even had the ordasity to yell at me, when I kept changing the payment number, saying i was trying to scam them!!! Some people!

5. m4tt

m4tt Member

well played :)

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

7. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

LOL nice!!! You should ask them for their bank account number and tell them you'll wire them the money! :NUTS

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I got the same kinda crap on a Bogner I wanted. A guy who was supposed to be the seller had "another" Bogner Xstacy - He was in Austrailia. He'd take a US Money order in Austrailia, but he preferred Western Union or cash. I was skeptical and said I'd consider it. He lowered his price from the $2300 the amp went for, down to $2000, $1800, $1500 and finally $1200 if I used Western Union.
    Hmmm.....

jb

9. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Nice work .Thanks for doing that!

10. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

nice story

congrats

11. sosomething

sosomething Member

Very funny. :D I'll make sure to do the same if that ever happens to me.

12. Whiskeyroad

Whiskeyroad Member

I love it!, to bad were not allowed to put a bullet in people like that IMHO.

13. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Congrats on getting it. I have 2 Jubilees a 2558 and a 2555 with slant cab 1/2 stack. They are great amps and I love mine dearly! Enjoy.

14. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

you're my hero :D

15. ronin32

ronin32 Member

:rotflmao Thats a nice story!

16. Scoeb City

Scoeb City Member

great story....weird that so many people were tryign to scam you at once. kind of scary!