1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

So if you file the nut to accommodate heavy strings....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zygoat, May 21, 2011.

1. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

I play in open C a lot but most nuts won't fit the lower 3 strings. I like to use 52-10 gauges for this tuning. If I file the nut so that these can fit, and then need to change back to standard tuning with lighter strings for some reason, will I have tuning problems?

2. cram

cram Member

If the nut is treated correctly and the contact point of the string doesn't move - meaning the highest point on the nut doesn't end up being somewhere in the middle or rear of the slot for the string - then you're all set.

I play even heavier gauge and have had my local tech widen my G and D nut slots. He did warn about the strings for the ends of the nut. In older guitars he's done nut replacement because the strings would sometimes pop off the nut as it had worn down.

3. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

The worst case scenario is that you have to get a new nut. Generally not a big deal unless we are talking about a pristine vintage instrument.

4. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Nuts can be popped in and out easily. Have a good tech make you a nut filed for the lighter and the heavier. Then when you want to change gauges, change the nut.

5. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

The OP never specified what kind of guitar it was. Fender-style, yes, assuming the original nut isn't super glued in.

Gibson-style nut wouldn't be interchangeable

6. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

Yeah, it would be a Suhr Classic T. I'll see what's what, thanks guys.

7. memiller

memiller Member

Most of the guitars I've owned for a long time have had the nuts filed for wider strings. It doesn't really hinder tuning stability for smaller gauges. Keep the nut lubed and properly cleaned and you won't have any problems.

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Sure you could, just use a drop of Superglue towards the end of the fb. Pops right off with a tap. I did it on acoustics and banjos all the time.

9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I don't know how much lighter you go from 10-52, but I think you might just be fine without changing anything back.