So, I'm back down to nothing but 2 Teles

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by The Illustrated Bassist, Feb 22, 2012.

1. The Illustrated Bassist

The Illustrated Bassist Member

Standard MIMs, at that. I sold my BT Jazzmaster and Jaguar, just wasn't playing them.

I feel like 2-3 guitars is all I need, and I'm even thinking of simply just getting another MIM Tele with maple neck in a different color. No two are exactly the same...

I feel like something is wrong with me, in not wanting to have a lot of guitars...

:huh

2. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

i'm down to just an Esquire. Definitely need a #2, just not sure what to go for. Tho i've been eyeing a lot of stuff like Guild's, LP Specials and Juniors, Heritage, etc, honestly i'd be happiest i think with another Tele. Just can't decide what i want in the neck. Also have considered just getting another Esquire, except with a Bigsby.....This is why some dudes have 40 guitars...........I could be happy with 2 or 3, have never had more, i just need to find a #2 that i'm as happy with as my #1.

cheers

3. mrmjp

mrmjp Member

I wouldn't call that nothing...

4. The Illustrated Bassist

Well, um, yeah.

Like I said, thinking I need a 3rd one, but whenever I've had more than 2 one inevitably just stays in the gig bag and never gets played.

5. SteveO

SteveO Member

I currently have eleven guitars, and the only ones that never get any use are the ones that are stored in cases. Once they get put out in plain sight, they get plenty of attention. If you buy a third guitar, get a stand to go with it. It'll get used then.

6. The Illustrated Bassist

I've got a single guitar stand, I was thinking about getting a double for the two I have, so I'm covered there if I get a 3rd guitar. *Excellent* suggestion. :)

7. SteveO

SteveO Member

I should heed my own advice! I only have enough seating for nine guitars, so two always wind up getting their feelings hurt for a while.

8. ManUBobby7

ManUBobby7 Member

I keep my 4 main electric guitars on stands and give them equal attention as well - maybe it depends on what your looking to play?

Personally, I use the 335 for jazz, the tele for country, the LP for rock and the strat for blues (although as we all know, they all interchange very nicely doing each of those genres and more)

I dunno i just find I play my 335 differntly then my lp, and strat differently then I twang away on the tele - its soooo much fun having variety. If I had a PRS or a Satrianni JS1000 I'd probably play them differently to once I got used to what each guitar excelled at, you know?

9. acwild

acwild Member

I've found my "Holy Grail" guitar and am finding it hard to want to pick up my others. Going down to two or three guitars sounds reasonable to me. All it means is that you gotta start focusing on buying more amps. :D

10. inanevoyage

inanevoyage Member

I hear you. I am just not brave enough to keep my ES-335 out of her case though. :bonk

11. Hwy14

Hwy14 Member

Lots of guys are up to tons of lesser guitars than a good tele, and you've go two. I'm guessing you're ahead of the game.
    !

12. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

Two teles? You have the world my friend. That's my current stable, one maple, one rosewood. Life is good :D

13. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

I have all I need/want. Long ago I had a room full of the things-so many, in fact, that I had trouble remembering what lived in which guitar case. They all went to people who would actually play them, not waste them.

14. TeleFromHelly

TeleFromHelly Member

Why even need 2? One tele could really get you there, plus you could bond with it better, and get it that played in feel faster. At one point I had a tele, an LP, an SG, a strat, and an explorer, now I only have one strat with a bucker in the bridge and am more than satisfied. Plus I like that all my time is spent with one axe, gives us more of a connection. I'll own a few more guitars someday, but I never want a wall of 2k+ guitars with all the poverty and injustice in the world, just wouldn't feel right (but I need different colors of the same guitar:sarcasm!). People on here compare it to women with handbags and shoes. Couldn't agree more, and I think women with accessories is equally disgusting, more to life than crap! I think it's funny guys on here openly compare themselves to women shoe shopping. Dead on comparison, a lot of folks on here are women "shoe shoppers" but with guitars...not something I ever want for myself. I thought we were men? Not getting caught up in our self worth, hiding behind makeup and expensive handbags and shoes (or guitars) to make us feel better (not all women are like this mind you, or even most, just a comparison to those that are). Don't tell me guitars are tools, 90% of folks on here think they are pretty, and own more than they need for a variety of sounds. Rant over:p

15. riff1006

riff1006 Member

I've considered doing that but I'm afraid GAS would ensue. That said, I still love my 2 Teles......they're my favorites!

16. gmann

gmann Member

If you have two Teles get an Esquire with a Don Mare Stingray pup. Thank me later.

17. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Two Teles?
    You've got the essentials I see.

18. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I'm going back to two teles. There's just and elegance to the way those dirt simple guitars can do just about anything. Saves a lot of BS.