So I'm building a lap steel...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ronster, Feb 13, 2006.

1. ronster

ronster Member

It's a 22.5" scale, .25" thick aluminum top. I'll be mounting that on a hardwood TBD.

I'm thinking about using a p90, but wasn't sure whether to buy the bridge or neck version.

Also, the plan I found online doesn't have a tone knob. Will I be happy with just the volume control, or should I take the time to find out how to add the tone control?

Thanks for any advice,

ronster

www.moonshotradio.com

2. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I've never built a lap steel but own several of them.
    I would get a bridge P-90 if there is a difference and definitely a tone control.
    I've had volume only lap steels and the tone control just makes for a more versatile instrument. Plus you can use it for the cool wah sounds.
    It's helpful to have a tone control when you're playing at lower volume and want to be a little subtle.
    Chris Fouke makes a pretty cool aluminum lap steel. I'm not sure what his site address is but it's Fouke Industrial Guitars. You might get some ideas from his site.
    Also I recommend a Lollar P-90. I have one in a Harmos lap steel and it is a screamer.

3. ronster

ronster Member

... for the quick reply.

Yeah, I knew the answer to the tone knob question - just hoped it would be different.

I have heard good things about the Lollar pickups & may go that route.

I'm really enjoying the process of figuring this out. Building a regular guitar is out of my league, but I think I have a pretty good chance of building a decent lap steel.

ronster,

www.moonshotradio.com

4. ronster

ronster Member

5. ES350

ES350 Member

Lollar makes some great repro steel pu's...depends what you want as well; the Lindley thing or more of a fat western swing tone ala Bob Dunn...