So...I'm going to do it: Buy Bill Lawrence Cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Feb 6, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

To replace my george l's patch cables. Probably even my main cables as well, unless there is something in the price range that can compete. I could make some monorails. I'm not sure the monorails would work with the bl plugs though, since they have a solid core.

Anyone advise not using this combo?

2. cray2008

cray2008 Member

I never heard of bill lawrence till you started this thread. How do they differ from George L's? Seems like the same concept of a soderless connection?

3. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Hi:

I am a BL User and b4 them i had GL's.

I must say that i prefer the BL's just because you will need an elephant to tear them apart from the Connectors, that been said, i don't have any more problems trying to find which part of the chain crapped out on me.

The connectors are so small that they will give you lot's of room to work with, besides the sound seems livelier , guess it has to do with the connectors too.

here is a pic so you can see how small they are:

[​IMG]

Hope that helps!

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Lavaman said there wasn't really a difference between George L and Bill Lawrence cables. If the only tonal difference is due to proper connectivity, would there be any reason to only use the bl connectors?

5. macmax77

there is a difference , it might be coming from the connectors, i don't know, but cent for cent this is the best deal you can find for a cable .

6. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Bill Lawrence seems like the best for patch cables because of the cost/quality. I am not sure whether I would want non-soldered cables for my guitar to effects, and effects to amp. How do the prices change for the BL when you start to move into soldered 10' + cables?

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

ordered a bunch last week :-D

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Guys, do a search, there's been many threads on the Bill Lawrence cable in the past 2-3 months; all stellar reviews. I wouldn't use anything else for my pedalboard. And I recommned the Fulltone Gold cables for Guitar-Board-Amp.

9. macmax77

oops , suddenly i have a twin brother in here!!!!!!!!!!:D:JAM

10. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

+1000
    I have the BL cables on my board and really love them.
    They are SOLID. The cable-ends make all the difference.
    I don't know if I'd go off the board with them, just because I like a THICK guitar cable, but, IMO, they can't be beat for the pedalboards.

I do think the LavaCables are KILLER as well, and look like a great design, though I've never used them.

11. Flying Panda

Flying Panda Member

Me too. The pricing compared to other high quality cables is just plain silly, and I've heard enough unsolicited praise from TGPers that it became a no-brainer...which suits me perfectly.:AOK

12. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

It is kind of nice that they give you 50' of cable!!
    For us OCD, ADD, mind-changing guitar freaks out there! :)

13. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I'm leaning towards mogami for my main cables. Anyone try these out?

14. Squatch

Squatch Member

I use a mogami... I believe 18'. Solid cable but noticeably "unbright" compared to planet waves/monster. I like it sometimes, but find myself opting for a brighter cable... to each his own.

15. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Hmm, I'm actually starting to enjoy the treble of my rivera and tele/strat.

I need two cables, 15' and 20'. BL for the the pedalboard, definitely.

16. eru

eru Member

Mogami is "industry standard" in the pro audio world, at least where I'm from.

My DJ rig uses Mogami cables almost exclusively, and I won't even touch anything else. The only reasons it's not exclusively mogami are 1) the RCAs from my turntables come out of the tonearm assembly and aren't easily replacable and 2) laziness.

There are places that sell mogami cables with their connectors or Canare connectors soldered on or in bulk for somewhat comperable prices to George Ls. They're obviously more expensive than Bill Lawrence and a lot less than Lava or a few others.

Since I've got a lot of George L cable lying around (actually, just 10') I'll probably use that for my board, but I'm probably changing to Mogami for everything else. I might be convinced to try some Bill Lawrence, but I'm not doing the whole solderless thing.

17. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

There was a guy on here saying that he used mogami microphone cables and made them into guitar ones, they were specifically for recording orchestras. I think that BL patch cables and mogami 15' and 20' would be a good combo.

What kind of tonal characteristics do they have?

18. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

You might consider picking a cable that has similar pF/FT values as the bill lawrence - otherwise you could have a high end response discrepancy. Or just get more bill lawrence wire and put some Neutrik silent ends or G&H Right foots and use that for guitar to amp/pedalboard wiring.

The bill lawrence is 20 pF/FT & you mated it with a cable thats 40 pF/FT you would obviously loose some high end quality from pedalboard to amp/guitar to pedalboard.

Think of it like Plumbing in a house. The goal would be solid consistant flow; going from 1/2" copper to 1" copper pipe to 3/8" copper into 1" copper at a faucet would render you lousy water flow. Opposed to just having 1 size pipe or pF value in your setup

:BEER

19. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I would get the Fulltone Golds, they might even be cheaper. Much better clarity and eq response.

20. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I recently got some BL stuff and my only complaint is that if the jack is really tight, it can be hard to extract the plug as there's very little grip. This is especially so with my strat where finger access is very limited. I basically had to pull it out by the wire :eek: until I ended up wrapping the plug grip and an inch of wire with rubber tape. Had to do the same with an end that goes in to one of my amps that has a tight jack.

jon