• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

So, I'm listening to Screaming For Vengeance

shooto

great album...besides all hits on it...I always dug the end of "riding on the wind"..killer and powerful end that pounds

I always dug the bridge after the solo on "fever" too...cool way to come out it-

EAT MY DIAMONDS, DRINKIN' ALL MY GIN \m/

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Defenders of the Faith from that era is also very good. It's possibly the last great album they released.

whackystrings

Xmas '82, family got a new JVC home stereo system.
I was an early taper. Cheapo tape recorder with mic pointed at transistor radio speaker. But now with the JVC, we're Big Time.
Among my first songs on FM rock radio recorded onto tape were Sabbath's Paranoid and Iron Man, Ozzy's Crazy Train, and Priest's You've Got Another Thing Comin'. A few months later, but still on the same 90min tape was Def Leppard's Rock Rock ('til you drop).

To this day, those first heavy metal/hard rock songs that I put into heavy rotation still gets my blood moving.

Screaming and DefendersOTF albums were massive to me. All before I dreamed of ever playing guitar. Those soaring harmonies in The Hellion, the speed metal of Screaming, sinister Electric Eye, the moody intro to (Take These) Chains, the headspinning (heavily pan-swept) intro to Fever, and all the other hard-hitting moments. Compare this to Defenders and it seems to find the sweet spot between being raw and studio slick. Defenders is very heavy but I like the sonics of Screaming more.
One thing to appreciate with this album is that there is a lot of "space" in many of their tunes...where the guitars just punctuate what the vocals, bass, and drums are doing. Something of a lost art with hard rock/metal, I think.

When that album came out, it was HEAVY METAL.

Today it's pop LOL.

Great writing, playing, singing, production, everything. And I don't even generally LIKE that kind of music but damn... "You got another thing comin" has to be one of the greatest rock songs of all time. What a groove, what a lyric.

Emplexador

a lot of those tracks where laid in Miami at the now defunct Bayshore Drive Studios in Coconut Grove. The early 80s saw many heavy albums recorded in Miami

StoneAge Cabs

Gold Supporting Member
Great album!...I still have this on vinyl if you can believe it....the one thing that blew me away when I first played it was the production. Tom Allom i believe?? Anyway, to me that was the thing that stood out most. Performances & writing, all very good. But the SOUND of that record was groundbreaking to me. I still listen to this in my shop at least once a week....but on cd lol!

sws1

SFV - That song is still wickedly heavy. I love the 'falling apart' section right before verse 2, which it just comes undone. Then back together.

Can't play that song loud enough.

Bankston

Defenders of the Faith from that era is also very good. It's possibly the last great album they released.
Defenders and Screaming are my favorite Priest albums. Along with British Steel and Point of Entry, that's a pretty damn solid 4 album run.

I'd say Painkiller is Priest's last great album, but I liked Angel of Retribution as well.

spacelord_78

One thing to appreciate with this album is that there is a lot of "space" in many of their tunes...where the guitars just punctuate what the vocals, bass, and drums are doing. Something of a lost art with hard rock/metal, I think.
Dude I could NOT agree more!!!!

These days it's gotta be just a huge wall of sound. There's no room to breathe and for, as you put it - space. Definitely a lost art.

Great album from start to finish. One of the defining metal albums:rockin

twinrider1

I like a lot of albums, but when I have that heavy metal itch to scratch, I very often go to this album.
This one, Racer X's Street Lethal, Master Of Puppets are my go-to albums.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
I like a lot of albums, but when I have that heavy metal itch to scratch, I very often go to this album.
That's what this is for me too. I got this album as a 13yo. I walked into Crazy Eddie (does anyone remember that place?!)—big audio/record store in these parts. Cardboard Hellions were hanging all over the store. The SFV release was a big deal.

Trending Topics