so i'm looking into a matchless dc-30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by akim37, Apr 22, 2008.

1. akim37

akim37 Member

hey guys. i'm looking to buy a matchless dc-30 sampson era from a guy i met and he's asking 2800. does this sound reasonable or is he asking too much?

He also has a badcat hot cat head and 1x12 cabinet he's selling. if I trade him my /13 rsa31, how much would you suggest i ask in cash?

much thanks

2. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Clean used DC-30 should go for about $2300-2500 or so. The "Sampson Era" stuff always gets tagged a little higher, though.

Keep in mind that - in long discussions here at TGP, where people can't even agree on what day it is today - it's universally held that there is no difference in sound or quality between old and new Matchless. Sellers always want more for "Sampson Era," but you don't have to pay it.

=K

3. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

If you've got patience, you can shop ebay and every once in a while pick up a great amp at a great price. I snagged my DC-30 for about $2,000 about two years ago. I guess it just depends on what's for sell and when.

4. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

I would also say that 2800 is a little high. I would offer the guy 2400 - 2500 (depending on its condition).

You are going to love the amp BTW... It is my all time favorite!

Good luck!

5. akim37

akim37 Member

hahaha...i agree. I've been reading many of the "debates" about whether the sampson eras are any better. it's similar to the idea of Goodsell Amps made with the original Hammond organ tranny vs. the newer model that doesn't have it. I don't think it's really any different but it's just a lot cooler to say that you have the original hammond tranny in there. Probably goes the same for owning a Sampsons era Matchless. I think I'm going to go for the trade.

Once last question though...it's a 1994 model...do I have to worry about it crapping out on me or breaking down? That's my only real concern. Thanks!

6. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

The Sampson era thing is hype. The argument has been made that, if anything, the newer Matchless amps are likely to be more consistent and dependable due to higher quality control standards.

7. 66Park

66Park Member

I have an HC-30 (the head version of the DC-30) which is one of the first hundred made. I bought it new in, I think, maybe '91, and it's never been in for repair. They are very well built and reliable, so I wouldn't worry about it breaking down.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

And really...they are tanks. Taken my Chieftain around the block and only have blown the power and rect tubes. Gotta love it.

9. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

The Vintage Guitar mag. always has monthly updates to their Vintage Price Guide (issued annually).

They just upped the value of a used SC-30 up to $2800 (I think). From what previous value? Can't member.

So a DC-30 has one more speaker and a bigger cab, so.....

On the other hand, from recent offerings and sales I've seen, you should be able to to better than $2800.00

I think there was an SC-30 on the emporium, kind of buried in a sale of many items...so not in the listing title...that was $1800.
    I shoulda, coulda but I have two Lightnings...15 Matchless watts is fine by me...can't imagine any need for the 30 watts level.

10. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

Sampson Era

$1800 - $2200 for an SC-30
    $2300 - $2600 for an DC-30

Anything out of that range is really a distant outlier

11. mbratch

mbratch Member

I read somewhere that Matchless was born out of a desire to build a more reliable Vox. Is that true? :)

12. mild

mild Member

True. The DC-30 in particular. Mark Sampson was always a big fan of AC-30's, and serviced a lot of them in his time as an amp tech. Whether he was shooting to repro an AC-30 that was simply more reliable, or if he was looking to make the most Hi-Fi AC-30 he could... who knows... but he created a modern classic in the process. Its not an AC-30 sound per se, but its an incredibly muscular EL84 "Vox inspired" sound, that records well and sits nicely in a mix with a pronounced mid-range. Takes pedals like a champ, too - and the Master Volume is also pretty good (if, a little disheartening to have to engage...)

Its also supremely loud, and supremely heavy. Also - it is, as they say, indestructible. I had one for 3 years, gigged very heavily. Blew a Rec once apon a time. That was it... nothing else broke. (But it went through a lot of Power Tubes)

13. akim37

akim37 Member

Thanks for all the input guys. As of this afternoon I am now a proud owner of a beautiful '94 Matchless DC-30!!!

14. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I am green with envy. Congrats!

15. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Congrats! Fantastic amp! One my favorites in my collection (94 HC-30 here).

16. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Cork sniffing, mojo stuff.........Goodsell's are made here in Atlanta and were originally sold exclusively through Atlanta discount music. I heard the prototype 17 with the new iron and compared it to #22 (which was mine at the time) with the Hammond reverb transformer. The newer stuff is built much better but I could pick out the amp with the older transformer everytime. Having current run through them for the last 20,30,40 years has an affect on the tone....YMMV.