• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

So I'm modifying my MIM Telecaster...

Bartimaeus

and I figured that before I do anything, this would be the place to discuss it, seeing as I generally don't trust anywhere else.

I've finally decided to modify my MIM Tele. I don't want to sell the guitar, and so I want to make it unique and worth keeping. My current plan is to convert it into a Version 2 Telecaster Plus (sort of like a Tele-Strat), but with some differences. This means I will be having the middle position routed for a Tele neck single coil, getting some Lace Sensors, and a new switch. (I like Lace Sensor pickups. I DO want to get a nice vintage sounding Tele eventually, but I'd rather use different sounding pickups for a project like this.) In addition, I want to add a tremolo bar, which is featured mainly on the Deluxe version of the V1 Tele Plus.

I have a few questions:

-The way I want to wire it is with a 5-Way selector. Positions, 1, 3, and 5 would select the bridge, middle, and neck pickups. I then wanted to make position 2 run pickups 1+3 in series, and position 4 run pickups 3+5 in series. In essence, I want the option of either single coils, or of makeshift neck and bridge humbuckers. I am unaware if this is how the original V2 Teles were wired, but it seems perfect to me. The question is, are there any problems with this wiring that I am not realizing?

-I wanted to add an unobtrusive tremolo bar to the guitar, something like what is found on some of the current model Telecaster Deluxes. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer not to add anything like a Bigsby. Kahler makes nice stuff, but it's definitely out of my price range(more than the current cost of everything else that I am planning to do combined).

-I've also considered putting a Jazzmaster pickups in the neck(the Curtis Novak one made to fit a Tele). Would this entail any other complications, or could I just stick it into the guitar? Obviously, I would rethink my wiring strategy if I did this.

Thanks in advance!

jo2012

If you're looking for a good trem, I recommend the Bigsby. But otherwise it sounds like a good project. A Jazzmaster pickup would sound really nice in combination with another pickup.

Bartimaeus

Are you tooled up for routing a trem cavity in the guitar? Router templates and such...
This project is far too much for me, so I'm having it professionally done(which I assume will deal with this?). I'm more asking to find out if I'm doing anything blatantly wrong, or if anyone has any suggestions before I bring it to the shop.

larimar

This project is far too much for me, so I'm having it professionally done(which I assume will deal with this?). I'm more asking to find out if I'm doing anything blatantly wrong, or if anyone has any suggestions before I bring it to the shop.

Well it would prol' be worth finding out how much they will charge you before committing to the project and ask to see examples of work that they have done already of the type stuff you want done.

Bartimaeus

Check out the Xtrem Tremolo/Roller Bridge combo.
That looks rather cool. Will it require any routing, besides drill holes?

Well it would prol' be worth finding out how much they will charge you before committing to the project and ask to see examples of work that they have done already of the type stuff you want done.
I already have an estimate on price, and the place that I'm using has done some good work as far as I can tell. I also intend to talk over the entire project with the tech before committing, of course.

Not exactly what you asked for, but this is the most useful wiring I've found for series wiring.

It gets over my head, but I believe with a superswitch pretty much any combination of pickups is possible:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro.../Super_Switch.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=2267
Thank you for this!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom