So...Im thinking about getting a Tele...

kwood86

...iv been looking at the 80's Japanese Telecasters just because i keep hearing great things about them for the price range they sit in
im looking to spend anywhere between 500-700

does anyone else have a suggestion about a good moderate priced tele?

Last edited:

theraygun

Squier Classic Vibe
Squier Pro Tone
Fernandes are supposed to be good
You can find used Mexican, Japanese or even American made at good prices.

vbf

Gold Supporting Member
I cast another vote for the Classic Vibe...wonderful guitar for the money...and I'm a guitar snob. :)

kwood86

just to clarify, this wouldnt be a beginner guitar
i want a good gigging guitar that i could get in the 500-700 range

Andygee

Silver Supporting Member
I cast another vote for the Classic Vibe...wonderful guitar for the money...and I'm a guitar snob. :)
How's the hardware on that guitar?? That's my chief complaint about import guitars.

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
You can usually find an American standard Tele for around 700 on the 'bay or CL. A Hwy 1 can be had for a bit cheaper. I'd get the American and swap the pickups down the road for some Lollars or Kleins and you'll have a smokin' guitar

ARch

just to clarify, this wouldnt be a beginner guitar
i want a good gigging guitar that i could get in the 500-700 range
The Squier is a perfectly good gigging guitar - do some searches on it here. There are plenty of great guitars like these that don't make any sense as to why they're so good for the price, but they are. Or you know, you could spend another $500 for the name!

Look at the G&L ASAT's in the pickup configuration that you prefer (Classic, Special, Bluesboy). Tributes are equivalent to a USA Fender, non-Tribute (USA G&L) are equivalent to Fender CS. Both can be found in your price range.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Guitars mentioned are wonderful for the money. But they are not $500-$700 dollar guitars. A good Japanese Tele is a couple of marks above in tone, quality, and likely weight. I have seen exceptional MIM's from time to time, especially modded properly, ie 3 brass saddles and upgraded PU's;then sometime a stock one is awesome. I have an early 90's MIM Strat that's hard to beat.

dnauhei

Classic Vibe. You could pay more, but you will be hard pressed to find a BETTER guitar in your price range. Check one out in person.

Kitten Cannon

If it were me, and that were my budget, it'd be a Road Worn hands down. You can probably find a used one in that range. They're a little inconsistent so I'd probably want to play it first, but the good ones are very good.

Structo

The Japanese built Fenders were very high quality.
Usually the fit and finish on those were flawless.

They can be a bit hard to find nowadays but well worth the effort if you can get one for a good price.

Brian

I have a 95 left hand Fender 52 reissue that I bought new in 95 that
as far as the body & neck go is very good !! if you can find one of these
you won,t be sorry.

tbonesullivan

you can get a used late model american tele for $700 easily. Heck you can get a NEW Highway 1 for that much. Find one you like and go with it. Some of the Mexican teles are quite nice.

Andygee

Silver Supporting Member
You can usually find an American standard Tele for around 700 on the 'bay or CL. A Hwy 1 can be had for a bit cheaper. I'd get the American and swap the pickups down the road for some Lollars or Kleins and you'll have a smokin' guitar
....had a James Burton MIM Tele, good guitar but after a pickup swap for 2- Fralin Steel poles....forget it! The only guitar I've ever had stolen.

Trending Topics