• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

so is 300 volt wire a no-no or not?

damian1

Hey guys. So whats the deal on 300 volt wire? I bought this shiny new roll of 18awg 300v wire to lengthen the leads of an output transformer I bought that turned out to be about 6" too short. Im all bugged because I cant find any 600v wire locally. Poking around the internet I see that Ken Fischer used 300v (?) and on the hoffman sight it says 300v wire is fine in guitar amps because they are low amp. I see that 18awg is rated for like 8 amps. I need to lengthen the primary and b+ leads on the new output transformer I bought. An I asking for trouble? Should I bite the bullet and quit screwing around and buy 600 volt wire?

Kyle B

Silver Supporting Member
Amperage means absolutely nothing. You really should be using wire rated for the proper voltage. Although the 300V wire in reality should be able to handle much more than 300V, it's not that hard to find 600V wire

Mouser has tons of it if you wanna buy 100ft rools
http://www.mouser.com/Wire-Cable/Ho...yyyzif&Keyword=600V+wire&FS=True&Ns=Pricing|0

This guy sells it in 10 foot chunks. Pretty much any color:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10ft-18-AWG-White-Appliance-Stranded-Wire-105C-600V-/121064063868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2ffb037c

damian1

Noooo tell me 300 is fine! :) Ill just bite the bullet and get the 6 hundy. I just get impatient you know?

mark norwine

UL1007 wire is rated 300V.

The *exact same wire* without the UL writing on the PVC jacket is milspec 1000V.

I got a righteous deal many years back on a 20k' spool of milspec wire.....said 1000v right on the side of it; it was *exactly* the same as UL1007. Same PVC insulation, same insulation thickness, same, same, same.

Since I'm not submitting my designs to UL for listing, why would I care?

If you have 1007 wire and you want to use it in an amp, you'll be fine. The insulation is more than sufficient.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
At some point, any wires insulation will break down and puncture under excess voltage. I'm not exactly sure what a 300V wire rating is but I wouldn't think that would be its actual insulation break down point. However, wire is inexpensive...so why risk using 300v rated wire with 500v on it in certain areas of a guitar amp?

damian1

I went to grab some things at my local orchard hardware store and hit the wire section. They had 600v wire so I grabbed a few feet and got the amp up and running. I tend to agree with Mark Norwine. Im just too obsesive though. It just irked me that I had bought the roll of 300v. Guess ill save it for pedals!

Prattacaster

It just irked me that I had bought the roll of 300v. Guess ill save it for pedals!
You can use it in the preamp section which is a lot, the the grid and cathode wont see anywhere close to 300v

J M Fahey

Im just too obsesive though.
Amen Brother.:D
We are *all* more or less obsessive around here:hide2
What are we doing here typing in front of a monitor screen instead of chasing girls, surfing or at least getting some Sun or fresh air? :dunno

:D :D :D

damian1

Amen Brother.:D
We are *all* more or less obsessive around here:hide2
What are we doing here typing in front of a monitor screen instead of chasing girls, surfing or at least getting some Sun or fresh air? :dunno

:D :D :D
Hahahahah! Why chase girls when I can tweak my gear! I do need to get out and surf more though...

Top Bottom