So is There an OD That Nails a Cranked Amp Sound?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wesman61, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Into a totally clean amp, that is. The BJF BBOD does. Besides BJF pedals and The OCD are there any that come close to a cranked amp sound? Specifically a cranked Marshall. Nice and open with the right clipping characteristics.

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I don't think so.

3. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

MI Audio Crunch Box maybe?

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Blackstone MOSFET OD?

5. Jschoi

Jschoi Silver Supporting Member

Yes. The BlueSTone OD. Doesn't sound like a pedal a lot of the times. Sounds EXACTLY like a cranked amp. With the right settings, i feel like I'm running a guitar through a Marshall. But its actually a Hot rod deville

6. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

Marshall plexi:wampler plexidrive
    Vox:cranked AC

I don't work for wampler but IMHO he has the goods when it comes to nailing an amps sound.

7. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Tbph.......no!!

8. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

I built a 69 plexi clone and have logged MANY hours on that amp cranked to 10. Sometimes attenuated, sometimes not. My KOTB into that same amp with the volume set on 2.5 or 3 is practically indistinguishable from the cranked tone. And at that point it becomes a 2 channel amp for me. I don't know what kind of result you'd get into, say, a twin. Probably would never quite get the right sound, but you'd be close.

9. alguit

alguit Member

Here's another plug for the Blackstone-check out his website!

I only heard online samples of the Wampler products, but I must say that they sound wonderful!

10. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

What's the amp you're playing through?

And what era Marshall sound are you looking for?

11. roquero

roquero Supporting Member

I got the cranked amp sound with my Rockbox Boiling Point LE Overdrive on the Plexi setting= tried it with my Fender SF Champ volume at 2, also with my Mesa Boogie Mark IIB on clean setting [pre on 3 and Master on 2] and got a cranked amp sound both times

12. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

BJF dyna red does it for me :YinYang

13. utterhack

utterhack Member

Nope. BJF pedals and the OCD are the only ones.

14. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

I am having high hopes for the Goudie FX Blue Daddy that is on its way to the states!!!!

15. Drifting

Drifting Member

I haven't played it, but I have heard the COT variants can do cranked marshall pretty nice, just to bring something else to the table.

Again, never played one though.

For non-marshall, KOT does a kickass cranked fender.

16. 7StringJazz

7StringJazz Member

There are only two that truly nail it IMO. One thats readily available, both are expensive, both use tubes and both are actual amps capable of driving an external cabinet. Finally both have the true touch dynamics that will make the tone dance like a saturated power tube without the fizzies associated with preamp only, solidstate or digital simulation ODs. Because they Are saturated power tubes. Both are big and both use real grounded power cords, though one deals with size and power better than the other.

The readily available one and the one I would highly recommend is the Stephenson Stagehog. This pedal will blow your mind! It uses a 12ax7 preamp tube and a 12dw7 for power. Cranks 1-watt, designed with power scaling and capable of driving an external speaker. Includes a small 2 button switch for location on the pedal board while the larger unit can be with the amp. The beauty of this design is that it takes a single channel amp and turns it into a 3 channel one. Off for clean, on for crunch, and lead for overdrive. Very cool. $800.00 available from Stephenson Amplification.

The 2nd one is the Gjika Mini-Amp uses a 12ax7 and 1-el84 for power. This is exactly what the name implies. It uses a EL84 for power. Can drive an external cab. Pretty rare actually but they do pop up occasionally. Very large with no provision for separating the switch from the amp. $400-700 if you can find one.

These are the only 'pedals' IMO that can create the sound of a cranked power tube and without the harshness of preamp tube distortion, solidstate or digital simulations. I liked both just as front end pedals to the amp in question. The external speaker works in some situations but I always prefer the line level outputs. YMMV

It all comes down to touch and these must be felt to be heard. ;)

17. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Different amps but usually a HRDx or a Crate VC5212. I like the sound of Plexi type amps from the 60's. My only actual experience with them is a clone I built in '96. It needed to be pushed with a booster of some sort to get more than a crunch tone. I forgot about Your Box of Rock. The video sounds great.

18. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

I agree with the Wampler recommendation. The Cranked AC is amazing.

19. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Certain things like the percussiveness of a speaker being driven hard like with a cranked amp, seem to have eluded me finding an "exact" facsimile in a pedal.

20. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Stage Hog

I use the Stage Hog with my 18W Marshall clone and it's superb.

I had the Gjika and it never quite worked with my set up but the concept was similar.

Other pedals can sound like cranked amps (Menatone WMB for example) but generally struggle to play like one if that makes sense.