so i've been offered a gig at...a yoga class.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by KevinB85, Feb 9, 2015.

1. KevinB85

KevinB85 Member

a friend of mine teaches yoga and wants to hire me to play during her class. Problem is... I play solo acoustic ROCK. Beatles, Petty, Stones, Dylan, a LOT of 90s rock and even some newer stuff (band of horses, Avett bros, etc). I just don't see it working in that atmosphere and have a feeling it could get awkward really quick. The upside is she's offered a good rate and let's be honest...the scenery will be worth the gig alone. The only idea I have at this point is to do some looping ambient type stuff (which I NEVER do) that suits the mood better. WWYD?

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Just do what you do ... that's what she wants .. other wise why would she have hired you?
    Not to do something different obviously.

Don't worry ... it will work just fine ... just do it softer if it's supposed to be moody ...
    Stretch out the more relaxed tunes in your repertoire ...

3. Defendant

Defendant Member

Luckily you're a solo acoustic act. Soften and ballad-ify everything you plan to play and you'll sail through.

Beware the farts though.

4. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

Ask what she wants you to play.

5. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

One word: Lululemon.

But anyway, I know of yoga places that play soft classic rock, pearl jam, etc. you can probably adapt your stuff to fit the vibe.

6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

OP: single?

This could be the best gig ever, if ya catch my drift...

7. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

I do tons of yoga. It's flat out the best workout for me, ever. I look and feel better at 34 than most of my mid 20s male counterparts.

I'd never want a solo acoustic guitar performance while I'm doing yoga. But clearly your friend feels otherwise.

I'd stray far away from doing classic rock covers, or anything strumming. The only way I could tolerate a solo acoustic guitar performance in yoga class is if a c major chord is looped with tons of delay and reverb and then an occasional note is plucked here or there. For 5 min max.

Ask your friend.

8. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Careful, guys. Any expression of desire for females on this board will get you labeled as a "teenage boy" at best and a "pervert" at worst.

9. JPF

JPF Member

Make sure to bring a 100w amp to ensure proper thumpage - all that lycra will absorb most of the low end....

Oops - wrong thread.;)

10. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

Up there in the weirdest gigs ever category. It doesn't even make sense really but hey, if they're paying and its not like geriatric yoga or something, rock their world.

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. Maybe it will give you a chance to stretch your skills a little bit?

:banana

12. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I do these gigs a lot. I'm a practitioner and yoga teacher too, so I know what's going on and what it feels like. And while I like to leer at women as much as the next guy, the yoga room is not the place...just my thing. I'm in the mindset of service.

I generally avoid singing, if only because it can be a distraction from the teacher's instruction. Though that can work—don't let me talk you out of it. I know teachers who program a fair amount of classic rock in their playlists. I do mostly original/instrumental works. I also have a bunch of tunes based on sanskrit mantras, so I'll pull those out too. Musically speaking they are kinda similar to what your repertoire is....

I think of it as scoring a movie live. You can really change the feeling and mood. I improvise quite a bit and do a fair amount of looping. I'll establish a vamp and then improvise solos that reflect the movement of the class to each and every breath. Notice the way the breath/movement of the class works. Recorded music never does that. In my experience, that's what makes live music so special.

The main benefits of live music is that the choice of material/timing can fit the class perfectly.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  13. buzzp

buzzp Member

Why not give it a shot? Play one or two times. It could be awesome... you could also dial it back a bit.

14. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

My wife is a yoga class regular, so I've heard all sorts of comments from her about various kinds of classes and approaches to teaching. With that in mind I'd suggest taking a "first do no harm" approach. Avoid being a distraction to anyone who might be inclined to feel less comfortable with you there because it's not what they expected. People can be very particular in their preferences. Some are there for exercise. Some to relax. Some consider it a form of religion or meditation.

So basically, don't drop your capo.

15. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Wear your Ray Charles glasses.

16. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Totally agree. I had a class where a guitarist strummed nonsense for an hour and it was totally distracting. My favorite yoga classes have no music.

17. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

BigSky + volume pedal = even Stairway sounds yoga-ish...

Also, chicks in yoga pants!

18. slybird

slybird Member

I think your friend wants to chase her class away. If it pays then good for you. If you are really a friend I would think twice before doing this.

As someone that does yoga I think I would find a guitar annoying, especially during shavasana. I probably would not go back to that class. Look up singing bowls, that is what I would want to hear.

19. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

All that Lycra is already holding all the low end in the room, I don't think it's going to absorb any more! :D

20. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

As long as it ain't too distracting, I say go for it.