So I've spent a week with the Evidence Audio Lyric... very different opinion...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Random Hero, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

As stupid as I sound in my original post, here it is.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=335566

I'd like to address a few things I said first, and then follow up with some newer opinions.

First of all, it's now very apparent to me that the cable does not kill my van dammes. Not at all. Call it over excitement or whatever, but that was wrong to say. Secondly, whilst the tone does probably offer more thickness, overall it has much more clarity and punch which infact seems to lend itself to overdriven guitar sounding brighter and infact less distorted - cleaner. I think it probably is still more harmonically rich, but here's where my opinion on Evidence v Van Damme now differs, a week later...

I have a particular setting on my Mark IV that I haven't touched in a good few months. This was until I got the Evidence. I realised I was tweaking my amp, slightly adjusting the presence, slightly nudging the 6600 slider up and down, trying to get my tone to where I thought it was previously.
    All of this time, I was ignoring the Van Damme, remembering how impressed I was with the Lyric as soon as I'd made the switch.

Although that's not strictly true... when I first switched over, the first thing I noticed with the Evidence was I thought it was thinner, but with much tighter sounding bass. I gave it a day, swapped between the two, and discovered I loved the Evidence.

So anyway, I was playing for the past few hours, and yet again, couldn't quite get my tone right. It was almost too clean, and it almost had too much clear high end. I tried to dial it out again, but couldn't. So it suddenly hit me, why not try the Van Damme again? Whaddya know? I went back to my tried, tested and trusted settings and my tone was exactly back to where I wanted it to be. I can't quite work out what is different other than the obvious, but there's something going on in the mids and highs that's annoying me with the evidence right now...

To be honest, right now, I'm totally caught between the two, but I'm currently swinging back towards the Van Damme. The slight loss of clarity offers more smoothness and perceived thickness, but of course at the cost of less tightness and immense clarity. As you can probably tell, this post is very much stream of conciousness, and I'll probably be back in a week cringing at some of the stuff I've written here. :NUTS

Anyway, sorry if this was a bit wordy...

2. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Anybody else experienced anything similar?

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Constantly, but not neccessarily with just cables.

I think if you reread your post here, you have the answer. You WANT to like the Evidence, but in fact you have the sound you want already with the Van Dammes.

I think you ought to quit while you are ahead and be glad you now know that they give you the right sound with your setup.

I do this myself with pedals, guitars, cables, etc... want to improve the tone/sound try some things, find that either it is better, or not, or CAN be if I spend a lot more time adjusting.

But most of us don't want that hairfine adjusting...I want to be able to just get there quickly to my tone and all.

It sounds like the Evidence give you possibilities, but that there is a much smaller "window" of settings that will deliver. Sometimes it's like trying to improve Coca Cola, "new Coke"...

4. enditol

enditol Member

Cables are like an EQ and all have a different flavour, so no one is really 'better' as what flavour you like is up to you and totally subjective.
    If you like the EQ your other cable imparts better go with that.

5. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I think you summed it up far better than I did in my ramblings. I'm gonna give it another try this evening, keeping the same settings I love on my Van Dammes, and swapping to the Evidence.

One thing I remembered earlier though... I had 2 or 3 week old strings on my guitar last week when I first tried the Evidence all the way up to Sunday. I'm wondering if the improved clarity etc of the Evidence bought out some of the brightness of the older strings, whilst keeping the dark nature of the old strings coming through. And then with newer strings, it's brighter.

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I think I am going utterly insane. Exact opposite tonight. Evidence sounded so amazing, van damme sounded bland.

It has to be my ears :messedup:crazy

7. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Do you have the Lyric, or the Lyric HG?

I have both and the punch and focus of my tone is unmeasureable. I cut a similar length piece of George L's and while the high end was in tact, the "natural" feel of the tone with the Evidence is, well, evident!

I like the Lyric for Strats and the HG for Buckers and my Teles. For most applications, I use the HG as it gives me the better high gain tones. I use both cleans and dagainz. I use the Lyric as the run to the amp from my couple of boxes.

Emee

8. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

You need to wait until the cable breaks in after 40 hours.

:rolleyes:

9. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I have the Lyric HG. And it sounded immense again tonight. Maybe my ears had a bad night last night :FM

10. somedude

somedude Member

I once spent three days wondering why my amp just didn't sound right.

Then I re-inserted my Phase 90 back in the signal path and it was suddenly 'perfect'.

Turns out I actually liked what the Phase 90s tone suck was doing to my amp.

I've since grown out of it.

11. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Well if you decide you don't want the EA Lyric, let me know. I need another one! ;)

12. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Well right now, I'm back in the mode of adoring it. The too-ing and fro-ing is infuriating and fascinating in equal measure.

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

Nope...first of all are you doing these comparisons straight into the amp or through a pedalboard?

I switched over to EA and prefer the Lyrics but sometimes with certain guitars they are too fat which is where the HGs come in...I find the bass end a bit thinner...

after I decided on EA cables as my cable of choice I went through my whole chain and fine tuned the rest of my rig to the EA Lyrics...

I mean I built it up from the ground floor and I mean everything including...pedals...pickups...speakers...speaker hookup wire (Mulder X)...power cables (EA Source) as well as patch cables (EA Lyrics) etc.

I went with Lyric patch cables which I made myself and cut to length...

after I did this I have a consistency in my tone which doesn't vary from day to day...

Expensive? Yes!

Worth it? Hell yeah as now there are no questions...

Chow,
    Seegs

14. xroads

xroads Member

Record the sound. then you can listen to the differences whenever you want; without ear fatigue etc.

Rg. the "insane" part: I also sometimes, or in some rooms, suddenly think "my sound is bland" or thin or whatever. This is why I have 2 or 3 cables of different brands (for guitar to board), and use them as fine eq. just to give the sound the right flavor.

15. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

These are comparisons going guitar --> amp. No pedals.

16. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Yeh, I will record them. I tried it again this morning, and again, the Evidence won out. I'm starting to think it was severe ear fatigue or something. Bizarre :messedup

17. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

You obviously have not bothered to do much of your own research on this.:rolleyes:

Everything breaks in, even amp circuitry breaks in. Speakers break in, guitars break in and yes, cables break in. Do your homework before you type.

Emee

18. Fingers

Fingers Member

Yes, the break-in does make a difference; I found it with my EA Lyric HG & immediately thought that might've been the OP's problem with it. The difference isn't night & day, not as much as a speaker breaking in, but just because something is subtle doesn't mean it's mere self-hypnosis.

19. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

Fair enough. I will admit to being a cable junkie just like most you. I have quite a bit invested in my Pete Cornish cables. I find the quality and durabilty and consistency worth the price rather than the tiny amount of sound difference. I know tubes, guitars, pickups, speakers, etc. break in, but I'm a bit of a skeptic as far as cables go. So sue me. Hah

20. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

This thread is an example of how many grains of salt we should take with any review. I can set up my amp/guitar/pedalboard and love it one day...then do nothing to it but turn it off and then back on a day later and all of the sudden I'm not loving it. And I even check the voltage to make sure it's the same.

We are humans and are imperfect and we have biases (all of us...100%) and expectations...not to mention our bodies change during the day (also influenced by what we've come in contact with). I'm sure my ears hear differently if I've been riding in a car for an hour vs. just waking up in the morning. Even humidity makes a difference.

This is not to say any of this is a waste of time...it's not...and I believe we always become better listeners when we try to listen closely and hear minute, subtle differences. But...remember the salt.