So just got my headrush 112 and....

Bongofish

This thing is absolutely amazing. I haven't been blown away by a piece of gear in such a long time. All the tones on the mooer ge150 sound incredible through it and then best of all is when I plug phone into aux of the mooer for backing tracks it literally sounds like your playing with a band. So crisp and clear and punchy and nothing is took away from the sound of the guitar either. I can have squealing solos at night time volume or turn it up to about 2 and it starts to make the floor vibrate but in such a good way, like a crisp clear punch not bony. Genually genually impressed. Wow I will never go back. This rig cost less than £450 and it's the best sounding rig I've ever had and I have had £1000 tube amps before and then need to buy all pedals to go with it and now i have all the effects and options i need in 1 super small convenient unit. Super impressed

TonyCass

This thing is absolutely amazing. I haven't been blown away by a piece of gear in such a long time. All the tones on the mooer ge150 sound incredible through it and then best of all is when I plug phone into aux of the mooer for backing tracks it literally sounds like your playing with a band. So crisp and clear and punchy and nothing is took away from the sound of the guitar either. I can have squealing solos at night time volume or turn it up to about 2 and it starts to make the floor vibrate but in such a good way, like a crisp clear punch not bony. Genually genually impressed. Wow I will never go back. This rig cost less than £450 and it's the best sounding rig I've ever had and I have had £1000 tube amps before and then need to buy all pedals to go with it and now i have all the effects and options i need in 1 super small convenient unit. Super impressed
Do you have the FRFR on the floor or did you put it on a stand? I had some friends over last night and played my 108 at the loudest volume to date. These FRFR's do offer a lot of value. They are cheap and sound great loud or at bedroom levels.

otter5555

i got the hr 108 a few weeks ago. i have run my helix, kemper, aa6 and ge150 into it and all sound stellar. all i play now is my ge150. i cannot believe just how good the unit feels and sounds and for almost no money :)

Cactusprick

Thanks for the review, just wondering if you have tried other frfr speakers as well? I've never tried headrush but did not have luck with many others.

maxnew40

Have you compared this speaker with other more expensive units?
Thanks for the review, just wondering if you have tried other frfr speakers as well? I've never tried headrush but did not have luck with many others.
I am curious which speakers you tried. I never considered something so cheap as a Headrush and was very happy with my Line 6 l2 speaker before I switched to a Powercab. I always figured that I would have had to get a QSC K series to get similar results. I have seen a lot of people say they like the Headrush but they often have not tried any other speakers.

Cactusprick

I am curious which speakers you tried. I never considered something so cheap as a Headrush and was very happy with my Line 6 l2 speaker before I switched to a Powercab. I always figured that I would have had to get a QSC K series to get similar results. I have seen a lot of people say they like the Headrush but they often have not tried any other speakers.
bought and sold a few in line with headrush 108 - QSC CP8, Laney IRT-X, and then also briefly tried better Yamaha dxr10 and 12.

was basically after a moderate living room volume (from very quiet to moderately turned up) - ended up going into 1x12 tube combo.

Cruz777

Does the HRHR 112 sound as good as the HRHR 108 at bedroom volumes (talking level)?

Which handles bedroom levels better?

KenG

bought and sold a few in line with headrush 108 - QSC CP8, Laney IRT-X, and then also briefly tried better Yamaha dxr10 and 12.

was basically after a moderate living room volume (from very quiet to moderately turned up) - ended up going into 1x12 tube combo.
So what you're really saying is you prefer amp in the room. I think a decent sized FRFR can be made to compete with a single 12 with the right eqing to kill the frew response on the high and low end, boosting some mids. Unless you had a wall of FRFRs though I don't think you can get as close to the AITR of a 4x12!

craigrusse11

Can anyone explain why the PowerCab 112 is much more expensive than the Headrush 112?
I understand that there is some DSP inside the PowerCab, but not sure that if that alone would double the price.

Cactusprick

Can anyone explain why the PowerCab 112 is much more expensive than the Headrush 112?
I understand that there is some DSP inside the PowerCab, but not sure that if that alone would double the price.
Speaker modeling, ir loading, coaxial speaker, & hype :hide2

Love to try one though.

Richiez1970

When I purchased my 112 Powercab Plus I tried it beside a Headrush 112 using my guitar, audio interface and bias amp in the shop.... The Headrush blew me away how good it was... but it was lacking something, It was sole and the feeling you get when you stand next to a tube amp.... I then tried the PC and Wow!! sold me instantly they are very different animals... I wanted a modeling speaker that was just like a guitar amp and there it was.... so many different setup options.... I even managed to get some cool feedback from the PC... just heaven !

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member

Headrush sounds very different than Powercab.

John Mark Painter

Silver Supporting Member
Does the HRHR 112 sound as good as the HRHR 108 at bedroom volumes (talking level)?

Which handles bedroom levels better?
No
The 112 set at the same settings is about 5db louder to begin with.
But it doesn’t survive the power volumes as well as a smaller speaker.
But the other thing is...the 108 is voiced differently. And as I recall that also contributed to it sounding thicker at lower volumes

the swede

Ive tried both hr112 and hr108, i do prefer the 108 for guitar as it does well in rehearsal and at home (volume and transportation).

I will probably try more speakers this year though... basically i want to find the character and coloration that i can accept for my Helix.

the trick is... and its the same thing with real cabs. Every speaker (inside a casting/housing/cabinett) has its color and character. Forget all about the claims the companies have regarding the flat response. It doesnt matter. Every one will need to listen with their own ears wich speaker and its coloration/character fits them and their modeler the best. Thats a fact.

No pun intended. But its like.. you know the people who buys a JCM head or a Mesa head and then go plug it in to their Behringer 4x12.... :D

it is the other way around that needs attention. With cabs, if you are wize, you pick and choose the cab and speaker type you like and know works, then pair it with the amp of choice.

and in my opinion the same goes for modelers and frfr’s to.

as of today, for me, a 112 frfr is to large and has to long/strong throw and crossover, the 8” may be to small.. its bordering being a overcapable studio monitor, the throw and crossover is good though for using in most situations.
Next up for me will be some type of 10” speaker... maybe i’ll try the DXR10.
Ive seen people liking the Hr108 more than the dxr10/qsc10 though and that also is proof that thoose probably are liking the character and coloration of the hr108 more than the (probably) more neutral sound of the dxr10. I dont know, and thats why Im not done with that :D

Last edited:

Kylote

Generally do folks prefer running the "gear" (in my case a Helix LT) loud and the volume on the FRFR low, or evenly, or gear low and FRFR high? I've generally balanced it... about 12 o'clock on the Helix LT volume knob and around 3-4 on my Headrush 108, but wondering what other folks prefer.

Trending Topics