so, just how good is the Dr Z Mini Z??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AJ Love, May 28, 2005.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I'm thinking about buying a Mini Z... I've read the rave reviews

My question is: is it a great amp FOR A SMALL SIZE AMP?? Or is it a great amp, period?

I like the fact that its only 22 pounds. I like the fact that it can break up and get into screaming mode at a lower volume than most amps. And I trust Dr Z's quality.

I am wondering whether my tone will suffer as compared to, say, a Dr Z Maz?

let me know...thanks in advance!

2. erksin

erksin Member

A buddy of mine is one of the guys who posted a review at Harmony Central. He loved the Mini, but ultimately sold it - to get a Carmen Ghia. He LOVES the Z sound, but needed more headroom than the Mini has on tap - which ain't much from his description. However - the Mini impressed him so much that he dumped a few prized vintage combos to fund the Ghia.

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Thanks erksin... a few people have told me that the Mini Z is an incredible recording amp that sounds huge in the studio, which appeals to me greatly...

I suppose the lack of clean headroom would prevent it from being a "do anything amp", which isn't suprising, I'm just trying to figure out just how good it is as what it does...

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have not heard the Mini-Z. But I have a lot of experience with amps. A lot of the small amps that work great for recording are not real impressive when compared to larger wattage amps. The bigger amps sound "bigger", which is great for playing with a band, or even by yourself, if you want a fat sound. I have an OLD National/Valco amp with a field coil speaker, and it sounds great recorded, but kind of "small" when I play it in my living room. I have had similar experiences with other small amps, i.e., Champs, old Gibsons, etc. The limited frequency range of a low wattage amp with a small speaker is a great tool in a recording environment.

5. GasMask

GasMask Member

That 8" speaker in the Z scares me. Check out the Bad Cat Mini II- it has a 12" speaker.

6. Amp Nut

Amp Nut Member

I don't buy any combos without a 12" speaker.

Have had too many good sounding combos with smaller speakers but when plugged into a 12" cab would always sound much better, even a low volumes.

7. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

the Mini Z has an output that you can plug into another cab...

8. erksin

erksin Member

Which is what my buddy did - although he said the stock 8" sounded amazing, the biggest 8" he'd ever heard. The cab is a bit oversized as well to lend some depth.

I think the description on the Z site is probably pretty accurate - basically sounds like an overdrive pedal with a speaker attached.

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I wonder how it would sound with a Cornish P-2 going into it? Sustain for days I would imagine...

Sounds to me like it might be an ideal recording amp, which is what I need right now...

10. erksin

erksin Member

My buddy said the Mini needs no help from pedals to get a fat singing sustain - but they might help to add some additional tone shaping since the Mini is pretty limited in that area...

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

depends what you want to use the amp for.

recording? might be a cool tool

live with the band? my guess is that you'd need to mic the amp. for live I'd get the Maz

12. Amp Nut

Amp Nut Member

Plug into another cab? Kinda defeats the purpose of a combo.

13. PerryR

PerryR Member

Dr Z tried all kinds of speakers.. he did not plan to use the 8", the 8" just sounded best and he optimized the cab to get a bit more bigness. Now Z is a diehard 12" Celestion guy, so beleive me speaker choice was a big issue in the Mini Z, and the Weber 8" delivered the tone Z wanted to hear.

There is always the option of using a different cab if the situation arises, but I'm certain the masses will be very pleased with the tone of the combo speaker. Its like a greenback in package thats not much bigger then a greenback.

14. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

Have you ever played a gig with a champ? Would it work for you? While the Mini Z is very different than the '59 tweed champ I used to own, it's a good question to ask yourself before you proceed.

I have to say that it's the biggest sounding 1-8" amp I've ever heard. It really filled the room at the store I tried it in and had a lot of gain on tap (way more than a tweed champ). I've said this in other posts, but I felt that the distorted tones were awesome. The clean tones were so-so IMHO (too many mids for my taste). It's clear that the amp was designed to be cranked, though, so it really delivers on what it intends to be. The only problem for me was that the cranked volume is too loud for home use (at least at my house). It would be awesome for recording or small gigs that needed "that" tone.

It's very different than a Maz series amp or a Carmen Ghia (which I currently own). It really depends on what "your" needs are. For me, I love the clean and distorted tones of my Ghia and find it to be a very versatile amp despite it's simple controls. I also find that 12" speakers works best for me. There are some smaller gigs where the Mini Z would be perfect. It couldn't be my only amp, though. I like it WAY better than any other champ style amp I've ever tried and I will probably pick one up at some point.

15. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Lots of great feedback here and I appreciate it...

Yeah I don't think this would be a "do anything" amp for me. I do play alot of small venues (coffeehouses, very small clubs) with just a drummer and bass player (and sometimes with a sax player as a Quartet) and its VERY difficult to get great screaming sustained guitar tones in such small rooms without being WAT TOO LOUD.... I've also been doing alot of recording... and there are times when I have to travel out of town for gigs using mass transportation (train, bus)

For all those reasons it seems like a 22 pound amp that can get great screaming tones would be good for me, in multiple applications... I'll still need another amp in addition to a Mini-Z, but I think it can get lots of usage

CliffyG likes this.
  16. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Cool! :cool:

Z makes great sounding amps! Let us know what you think when it arrives.

17. kaseri

kaseri Member

The Mini-Z is a great amp. I use mine mostly @ home. The mini sounds a little thin for my taste @ lower volume but when you turn it up past noon it really comes alive.

These clips are VERY accurate as to what the Mini-Z sounds like.

http://www.willcuttguitars.com/sounds/scclean.mp3
    http://www.willcuttguitars.com/sounds/scod1.mp3
    http://www.willcuttguitars.com/sounds/scod2.mp3
    http://www.willcuttguitars.com/sounds/scneckod.mp3
    http://www.willcuttguitars.com/sounds/hbclean.mp3
    http://www.willcuttguitars.com/sounds/hbdirty.mp3

18. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

after careful consideration, I decided to go with a Dr Z Carmen Ghia instead. Not as portable, but more volume for small club gigs and loud as F drummers

19. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

so what guitar are you gonna be using if not the grosh retroclassic? how about a grosh setneck?

20. B Vance

B Vance Member

The Mini Z is a good amp, but for the same money you can get a great amp in the Bad Cat Mini Cat. Same speaker size, except the Mini Cat is available in a 5 watt head as well as a combo with a 10" speaker. Better sound, better construction and higher resale value.