So just played the Bogner pedals for awhile...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SetFiretotheHive, Oct 20, 2012.

1. perplexied

perplexied Member

Hey, I'm pleased to hear someone else is playing these pedals through a Goldfinger 45. I have red and blue coming to me soon and will be playing them through that amp.

I hope the results were pleasing to you :worried

I know it's not the same, but have you tried a tubescreamer through the Goldfinger. I was wondering whether to get the VFE Screamer as well for more options with the amp's gain channels.

2. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

Thanks.

3. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Picked up a Blue yesterday and it is fantastic and very amp like in picking response It is staying and I'm thinking about making some coffee and playing till dawn

4. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

Just got the red home today and had a chance to give her a run through her paces for a bit.

First a complaint. The thing is noisy. Period. Its not my setup or the amps, its just noisy.

As far as sound, through my Bogner Goldfinger clean channel, the thing is a fire breathing monster. Plays and feels like an amp, not a pedal. Everything you would hope from this pedal. The toggle switches give you tons of different sounds.

As I have said about the blue when I tried it out, these pedals need to be played through the right amp. Through the clean channel on the Goldfinger, sounds great. Through my 100watt emplexador set to clean, doesn't sound very good at all. Same through the clean option on my Marshall Jubilee. I wanna try this thing through a deluxe reverb reissue or some other clean fender circuit. My guess is you could run the blue and red into a deluxe reverb and have a near perfect 3 channel mini rig.

5. ken374

ken374 Member

Not noisy really at all in mini rectifier, this amp is more quiet then most i had

6. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

My red is a bit noisy too....but I figure an amp with that much gain would be too. like an amp at idle.

My complaint is that Red is pretty saturated, as in blurring chords together. It's not horrible, but I certain prefer a clearer distortion tone.
    Leads, it's 100% perfect.

Yep, I've noticed that it's pretty picky on which amp you plug it into too.

7. ken374

ken374 Member

maybe that's were the blue sets in for chords, dam I need one:)

8. excane

excane Supporting Member

Absolutely, it's very picky as to what amp you play through.

Going into my '67 Showman sounds amazing..... just....yeah...AWESOME.

Going into a master volume amp with a gain control, not so much - gets very muddy and loses the beauty of what it's designed to do.

9. ken374

ken374 Member

your master volume amp with gain set low you get a nice clean? since mine is 25 watts I turn the clean master all the way up then adjust the gain till its pretty clean. Then adjust the gain knob and the pot and then the boost and then the pot till its completely smooth. Gotta tinker for a bit, bet with the fender its awesome.

10. acwild

acwild Member

I had the Red and loved it but I've already got a high gain amp so I just traded it in for the Blue. Man, there really isn't any overlap between the two. The Red is an unapologetic high gainer and the Blue (without the boost) is relatively low gain, even with some high output humbuckers.
    I thought that I could tame the gain on the Red with rolling off some volume from my guitar but I wasn't crazy about the results. Although it's doable, the sound wasn't something that I found usable. That's really not what the pedal was designed for so I get that it's the right tool for the right application. It'll definitely cut through a mix.
    The Blue actually has more gain on tap than I expected (with the boost on). It's a bit more articulate for note clarity with chords. I did have to experiment a bit with my amp and the pedal to keep some notes from getting buzzy when using the neck pickup on the lower strings. That wasn't hard to do with the Red.
    Overall they're both great pedals and I would have loved to keep both if I could afford them. Neither pedal was noisy through my setup (clean channel, Mark V, single-coils, P-90s, humbuckers...). I was expecting to hear a bit of noise with the P-90s but there was a surprising silence.

11. rmpacheco

rmpacheco Member

I tried the Blue yesterday and though I loved the tone I couldn't get over the huge jump in volume with the boost engaged, even with the boost volume trim all the way down. Has this been confirmed to be a defect? I've seen others post about this issue and some claim that the Red doesn't have the problem, while others say it does.

12. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

It is not a defect. It is the same as using a boost pedal: into a clean amp it will raise volume and into an amp already distorting, it will make it dirtier. It is not a problem or design flaw, it is simply the structure of adding gain to a circuit. Overdrive/distortion is caused when one part of a circuit raises the volume so much that it causes the next part to distort. Pedals or master volume amps have a volume control to help you control overall volume. Since the boost section on the Bogners is a boost...they did not feel the need to have the volume trimmer knob go below unity gain when engaging the boost (you can't get a quieter boost).

Therefore, if you want a boost in distortion, you will probably get a little volume increase as well, unless you are already running very distorted in the non-boost mode--then you wouldn't notice a volume boost so much. The only way to get a distortion boost without the volume boost is to have the boost volume go below unity to compensate, which is kind of opposite of the purpose they were intending it to be for... a solo boost to boost either or both your volume and gain (distortion).

13. rmpacheco

rmpacheco Member

I get what you're saying but then why are some reporting that the Red pedal's boost can achieve unity volume

14. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Member

I got my Red and Blue yesterday. True test is this weekend's gig but so far... S%(^!!!!!
    I can tell you to the front end of a Mojave Scorp..... it works !! I also have a DLS I use with them and plays perfect with the Bogs. Hardly any noise from either pedal. Red gain is 12 o'clock. Blue gain at 1 or 130. Blue Boost gain and vol all the way down... and there's still a fairly big jump in vol and a tad in the gain. Not near like the Red Boost w/o having to turn the levels of the boost up. The Red is simply bad a$$. Saturated but still very articulate and defined, on chords or single notes. Both pedals clean up perfectly when backing gtr vol down... nice! Massive amounts of headroom...almost like they run at 18V.
    Eggzactly!!! But it's still very useable for me.

Use to have a 101b... not so sure these pedals aren't as good if not better imho.

They'll likely be keepers and other pedals will be on the auction block soon!

15. SetFiretotheHive

SetFiretotheHive Member

Not sure on that one, possibly because the red is by nature already louder and gainer? Like to know as well.

16. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

Because the Red is already much more distorted, so that when any gain boost happens, it merely distorts and compresses more, rather than ups the volume. The headroom limit has already been hit because it is a higher gain pedal than the Blue. Same principle.

17. LYNCHGilbertRReVh

LYNCHGilbertRReVh Member

I gotta pipe in about the boost. Regardless of all this unity talk.....the Red boost just works. It makes sense. It blends with what's "already going on" with the pedal. I can't say this for the Blue. The jump is just not in harmony with the nature of what the pedal is already dishing out. It needs to boost what's already there. A little continuity is all. But no, its almost more like a distortion hit than a complimentary OD. The red? They nailed it.

My 2 cents.

18. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Member

I agree with you that the Blue's boost is a big jump in gain, volume and character. It will take some adjusting to get it to behave just the way you want it to. I'm finding that it cleans up so nicely with the volume knob, that I leave the boost on all the time. Rolling back the volume, you can get close to the sound of the boost disengaged. Nice and stringy and clear, without too much volume drop.

19. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

Although the boost seems significantly louder when playing at home, in a band situation it works fine. Your vol control is you friend.

20. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

I've noticed quite the difference in settings between home, practice, and gigs as well.

What sounds good at home alone, isn't always what works with the band.