So just what is Clean Power? And just what is Dirty Power?

Red Planet

So we have seen both of these terms thrown around pretty darn loosely and not a lot of substance.
So as it affects your amp and or rig as a base what are the two?
And just what is a power conditioner and how is power conditioned?
Are the the electrons made to stand at attention by a good conditioner?

If you have some really dirty power from 2 miles away can it even be undirtied?
I have installed a 1:1 ration on incoming 120 voltage in front of PLC's before to isolate the unit from other sensitive equipment. So I can see where some thing s would work really well. I really cant see how a couple hundred bucks can help much in the electricity department, maybe one to five grand could make a difference? Just thinking out loud.

stratpaulguy86

Silver Supporting Member
I think "dirty power" can refer to any power source that fluctuates in voltage and/or causes audio interference with your audio equipment.

Many power conditioners can stabilize the incoming source of spikey power giving you a much more consistent voltage.

Red Planet

What power conditioners? Which ones? I don't think there is a unit out there that can protect against voltage drop unless it has a battery in it, and for audio equipment it would be a big circuit with an inverter in it.

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm told... The best method is to convert AC to DC and then back to AC... Then you can get a nice clean sine wave. That's expensive, and while helpful for audiophile reproduction, not really needed for a distortion generator (guitar amp). Many inexpensive power strips (furman) include some minimal filtering. $50-100. Better filtering costs more. There are probably better places to obsess or spend money... YMMV.

Trending Topics