So, let's talk bike seats...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by tedm, May 5, 2016.

1. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

On my mnt., upright bikes, I've got these large C9 and Schwinn type upright seats. The family rides these bikes as well, and never far, and never with shorts, or long distances. These work great.

On a couple of road bikes I'm starting to ride a few times, ~ 5-10 mile rides a few times a week, I'm trying to find the "perfect seat"

An ultralightweight Velo came on one bike, that is actually fine, but only if I'm wearing bike shorts, which is a 50/50 chance on these rides.

I'm trying a Respiro Athletic Selle Royal, a split Serfas Rx, and a Serfas Dorado. The first two are like split in half, and on short rides all have been OK, with the Dorado a bit slippery. On these short rides, hands are rarely in the drops, speeds are low, back angle is in the ~60 deg position, which is considered upright for road bikes, but much lower than beach cruiser type upright bikes.

Anyone else ever evaluate casual use seats, and what did you end up with?

At this time, weight and speed is not an issue, just comfort for casual riding, if I were to ride a century, I'd be wearing shorts, and riding a racing saddle.

2. tonewoody

tonewoody Member

3. mattamatta

mattamatta Member

Seats are overrated. Just cut off the seat tube and sprint nonstop.

4. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

I'm on my second season with a Selle Italia Turbomatic, and it's a great saddle. Step one: measure your "sit bones". The easiest way to do this is to sit on something that will take and hold an impression, and measure the distance between the center of the 2 divots left by your ischial tuberosities, or sit bones. I have a 5lb bag of silly putty that I used to measure mine. That will narrow your search somewhat.

5. Nutopian

Nutopian Member

I've had good experiences with fizik arione, both road and mtn varieties. Some peple swear by their Brooks. I swore at my Brooks...

The Captain likes this.
  6. kkregsg

kkregsg Member

What elron Hoover said! You have to find a seat that matches your physical dimensions. Paradoxically (there's never just one!) a firmer saddle will usually be more comfortable in the long run. If you can hold your breath at the price,there really is no better saddle than the classic leather Brooks. Once broken in, they fit you like they were custom molded.

Unfortunately, every saddle has some break in time, and your behind will really appreciate padded bike shorts. Right tool for the job! Any short that puts a folded over seam right in line with your soft bits is not your friend. Trust me on this one.

Dr. Zorlac likes this.
  7. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

First off, it's a saddle. ;););)
    Are you looking for an all-purpose saddle?
    As someone mentioned, firmer is better.
    On my Giant Escape hybrid, I use a Specialized Henge.
    On my road bike, I use a Selle Italia SLR Max Gel Flow.
    I would HIGHLY recommend buying from, either, Nashbar or Performance Bike, since you can use it and return it, if you don't like it.
    You'll pay a penalty in return shipping, but at least you don't have to eat the whole thing.
    Saddles can be a long, painful, frustrating journey. Good luck with your search.

S

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    cratz2 likes this.
  8. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

The best saddle is one that fits you.

I run a mtb seat on my road bike. I run all the same seats on my mtbs.
    I'm pretty fond of the wtb seats. I have an old pure in my road whip, and rockets on my mtbs.

9. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Where in the world would someone get a 5 lb bag of Silly Putty?

redeyedjim and musicman10_1 like this.
  10. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

11. FFTT

FFTT Member

Hope you sniff out a solution.

12. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

I'm a big fan of dilatant compounds

Sig material right there.

JCW308 likes this.
  13. Tachymetres

Tachymetres Supporting Member

Specialized Toupe. I've converted all my bikes to them after riding Fizik, Selle Italia, Selle San Marcos, Avocet, ....

14. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

riding a bike always numbs my nuts.. thats why I don't ride :(

15. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

That's why they make cut-out saddles.

[​IMG]

S

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    NamaEnsou and neastguy like this.
  16. Bozak

Bozak Member

The only seat I'll use, zero ball burn or ass rub or muscle chaffing, just comfort.

Ergo "The Seat" Ultimate Bicycle Saddle

[​IMG]

17. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

Seriously. It doesn't matter if it's a road or mountain saddle. If it feels right, it is right.

Specialized has a device that you sit on that has a special silly putty that measures your sit bones. The shop guys call it an ass-o-meter. Works well.
    Silly putty sounds kind of fun, though.

[​IMG]

S

18. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

Butts are like opinions...oh wait, wrong saying, though equally true.

Butts are like fingerprints, each one is unique. You will probably have to try a lot of different saddles until you find one that will work best for you, especially if you are going to be in the saddle more than a few hours. I love the Fizik offerings (Antares and Arione).

Also, the tougher your butt gets, your opinion of comfort will change. Cushy will become super painful and hard will become nice.

19. Blue410

Blue410 Silver Supporting Member

Even more manly is to remove the seat, leave the seat post in place, sit down and *cruise* for an hour or so. The TGP testosterone club will applaud you!

20. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I purchased a spin bike and having not been on a bike seat in a long time it was brutal. I went to the town bike shop and bought a cover that didn't help much. Then I purchased a larger "saddle". In the end ( bwaaahaaa) I think it just took some time for that "area" to get use to the rudeness of a bike saddle. They hurt.

The guy at the store said bike shorts are as important as the type of saddle you choose. He said they are a must.