So many guys want someone elses tone! Great Steve Lukather quote.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Steve Snider, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

"I'm afraid with any gear you won't sound like me, really even if you DID have the exact gear you wouldn't. People think it's the amp and guitar that get the sound... Well, it is not. It HELPS to have great gear but we all sound the same thru any gear. I have played thru EVH's amps, I played Jeff Becks Strats... I still sound like me playing thru their gear! Hahaha, that's the way it is. Just groove and sound like yourself and have FUN!!!"

To Me these words are SO TRUE!!!

2. Steve Snider

Me too!

Another great one from steve was the never released album title-

"I hate every bone in your body but my own"

Lukather is awesome and sounds like he will be touring with a great group of players playing great tunes this year. He is so Humble and always makes a point to downplay himself as a very average guy compared to guys he digs like Jeff Beck and his high school buddy Landau.

3. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

I gotta get it transferred and post it here, but I have a few photo slides from high school from our homecoming dance that had this lineup when we were seniors... Lukather & Landau on guitars, Steve Porcaro on Keys, John Pierce on Bass, Carlos Vega (RIP) on drums and 3 rotating singers. Yep I was in their class. Landau was a year behind us and John Pierce was a year before us. Carlos didn't go to our school, but still made for in unbelieveable high school band. There were other notable players from our era too, but this just happened to be the lineup at the time.

4. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

AndyZ -

Any chance you know / remember Mike Drake ?? Same neighborhood, same school, same era...

Steve E

5. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Luke speaks the truth. Gearheads won't quit trying to obtain a monster players gear though. What sounds good , sounds good no matter who's playing through it. Tone wise anyway. I have purchased plenty of gear because I liked how someone else sounded and I still loved it even though I didn't sound like them.

6. TimH

TimH Member

yeah this kind of thing came up in a thread I posted a while ago. My spin on it is similar to Hamertoe....but also I'm one of those people that will buy something of quality or spend no money at all. I don't want cheap, mediocre crap I'm not going to be really happy with. Maybe I'm a cork sniffer for having an Anderson and a Badcat with Xotic pedals...but I know I won't be changing the gear any time soon...and that it won't crap out on my half way through my gig. That's what being a music store employee and gearhead has taught me.

7. dazco

dazco Member

Yeah, it's in the hands for sure. No one believes it any more than i do. But i also don't believe that tone being in the hands and in the gear has to be mutually exclusive. The gear obviously does matter or this forum would be a ghost town. For those who wanna sound like luke i sure as hell wouldn't suggest a tele and a showman. And there IS gear you can use to get a perticular persons sound. True youll never sound exactly like them. But in order to get a tone like a perticular player who uses a tone thats somewhat unique, it WILL get you further towards sounding like that if you use that gear.

Try playing SRV with a strat that has a full size super distortion humbucker in the bridge and don't use the middle or neck pups....even Stevie woulda had a hard time sounding like Stevie ! Granted thats an exaggerated scenario, but it's true to some degree in every case even if only very little. So to me it's stupid to tell someone who asks what gear to get not to get it because he can't sound like so and so without so and so's hands. It's true, but it's also true that he can get a lot closer if he has the right gear and settings, so why not tell him what to get and only as a side note mention words like Lukes?

I remember years ago when i first tried wiring a guitar with a switch to reverse one pup's phase and being amazed because as soon as i tried it (combined pups of course) i instanly recalled a song i'd tried to emulate many times and could never come close. And here's that tone right there. Yea, gear does get you so and so's tone....it's just that if you want to sound EXACTLY like that person you gotta have the hands too, thats all. It's both, not one or the other.

8. ROKY

ROKY Member

Dazco, I totally agree with you on that .
    I even believe if you have taken the time to digest someone's
    playing approach you can even get the elusive other 10% .

I'm not saying you should,of cours but ... it is possible.

Anyway the gear does make an enormous impact.

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I know people love to use this quote, but I don't find it true at all.

I've heard Jeff Beck have horrible tone using a DSL Marshall (that live with BB King TV appearance). He still played like Jeff of course, but he's had better tone almost every other time I've heard him.

I thought Lukather's tone on the Live CD with Larry Carlton was much better than most of his studio recordings.

I agree that pro caliber players can make bad gear sound better than I can, by a LOOOONG shot. But I still think they sound best through the best gear.

If you truly believe this Steve, that means you and I and every other amp slut on this page should sell all our gear and buy a Peavey and be happy! :)

10. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Not really have to sell all the high end gear. But learning to get the most out of average gear would be an advantage methinks.

11. Steve Snider

I do believe that with certain gear and guitars and recipes for tone you can get very close but the missing element to nailing someones exact tone is in most cases their hands.

I on the other hand am guilty of buying tons of amps to get certain players tones. That said, I still sound like me. In many cases I dial in the same sounds or tonal frequencies from most amps , therefore trying to obtain my sound.

I have found a few amps that really work for me and am very happy with my sound. All are expensive boutiqueee amps and believe me I hear the difference in sound, feel and response when compared to a POD or cheap amp.

My point is I still sound like me and that is where I agree with Luke.

12. Ed DeGenaro

Carving X100B any one? :)

Seriously though Steve-and this opinion isn't gonna be to popular. The difference is that as a player advances the ability to work with what's given is a lot higher than the need for the amp to play itself.

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I understand. Believe me, I don't think great amps improve anyone's playing!! At certain times great amps inspire me to play better than I do on an average day, but my abilities were there (or not there!) to begin with.

14. vagn

vagn Guest

Yeah yeah , but we all heard him sound really bad through bad equipment , even though the playing was stellar.

Ive got this video with luke and jeff beck and Luke has this huge rack + valley arts and though the playing rules, his sound is really bad and overly processed ,
    Jeff beck is playing standard strat through fender amp his tone is much better.

But I also have a clip with SRV and Jeff beck where Jeff becks hard fender sound vanishes
    and the dumble or super reverb of SRV rules completely.

And theres another qoute by Luke saying you have to have your chops together and you have to have a sound that kills.
    ;)

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

yep. Don't even think of trying to sound like someone else, just shoot for the best that your equipment and talent can yield in the current combination.

If SRV only had a Floyded 1 hb Kramer do you not think that he would still have found a way to create great (but different!) tone and playing?

16. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I'm in the "hands" camp, but I'm not sure if they have to be mutually exclusive as someone already pointed out.

I think some of us here get confused on the facts of "sounding the best" and "sounding like themselves", they are not the same thing all the time. Lukather's point is that he could plug into Beck's or anyones gear, and still not sound like them, even the tone won't quite be the same, and that is a FACT, I've done it several times over the years with friends' rigs.

As much as I love someone else's tone, when they hand me the guitar, I don't sound as good (tonally) as they do in their gear, and I can hear elements of my own personal tone in THEIR gear.

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

That's really good news, because it means that there is no danger of me ever sounding like Steve Lukather no matter what gear I use... ;)

All joking aside, I'm still waiting to hear any guy (at either my playing level or Steve's) that can make a Strat through a Twin sound like a PRS through a Mesa Rectifier red channel just by their playing.

What he means by 'sound' is style, expression, technique, musicality, and maybe a little bit of tone - the bit controlled by picking technique and left-hand touch, but that's fairly small after you've fed it through a rig like his.

Actually, I wish he would use just "any gear", I think he'd sound a lot better.

No offense intended to anyone...

18. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

Still , I have to say that getting a Mcinturff guitar, Barber Burn unit, and a Lexicon reverb raised my tone and playing inspiration to a new level. Crappy gear takes away a lot of the inspiration to play in the opposite sense. Luke is right that you are who you are on whatever gear you play through, but I like being who I am on the "good gear".

Steve

19. Ed DeGenaro

Would you settle for Strat through an unmodded JMP vs. Les Paul through a Recto?

20. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes - but not if you're deliberately trying to make the Recto sound like the Marshall, which it's capable of, as you'll know very well because you have both of them!

I know that if you plug into both your Marshall and your T-Verb you'll end up sounding very similar - because you'll set them up to sound pretty much the same. That just proves that one amp is more versatile than most people give it credit for.

You know exactly what I mean... a high-gain rig is capable of sounds that a low-gain one isn't, and that's a simple fact. Any non-musician could tell you that. It's like trying to say that a player sounds the same on an acoustic as they do on a fully-distorted electric guitar just because it's the same player. They don't - same music, but a completely different tone.